Happy Birthday In Through The Out Door

^ I really like that post. I have always associated HOTH with ITTOD.

I also agree with your last statement about them turning the corner and combining the first Page and Plant solo releases to get some sorta idea about where the next step may have taken the group.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Peace.

He created the sound of U2 and other alternative rock ahead of it's time. Listening to the song "Fire" it sounds like a heavier form of U2 (musically anyway) ( actually kinda like "I will Follow" specifically and U2 as a whole in general.

Now your getting carried away. If your talking about the delay/slapback effect that Edge always uses, I would say it is far more likely to have been influenced by David Gilmour than Jimmy Page. I'm sure Edge would agree.

I also agree with your last statement about them turning the corner and combining the first Page and Plant solo releases to get some sorta idea about where the next step may have taken the group.

Peace.

I too have always sensed an affinity between ITTOD and HOTH. In fact, and I know I'm going against the grain here, these are my two favorite Zeppelin albums. In the Evening and I'm Gonna Crawl are still awesome and I think Southbound Saurez is one of the best cruising songs ever. It really is hard to believe that it's been 32 years since ITTOD was released. The first time I heard these songs they emanated from the speakers of my 1978 Camaro Z/28 when the then local rock station first played the record. Riding around burning one listening to brand new Zep, those were the days my friends. God, I was only 20 years old. Where did the time go. What's even much harder to believe is that I still have the 1978 Z/28. Now I take my grandkids cruising in it on the weekends.

Nice! I love groovin' to SBS with my sun roof open and the windows down! Not the same experience as you, but it's great at 7:00 in the morning heading into downtown going to work! Fool In The Rain, In The Evening, I'm Gonna Crawl, Ozone Baby, Darlene, Wearing and Tearing, Carouselambra, All My Love and yes even Hot Dog, along with South Bound Suarez - that's a GREAT fuckin' disc, IMO!!! :thumbsup:

One last thing before I head to bed.

I can say with 100% certainty now that ITTOD was NOT released in the U.S. on August 15, 1979.

After looking through my files and doing some more research this morning, all evidence points to the US release date being between August 20-22, 1979, with the 22nd being the most likely.

I am waiting to receive corroboration on a couple of things. I'll post my findings sometime in the next couple days, if I get a break in my schedule.

Sam and Steve, I will pm you the relevant evidence for your records.

• 2 weeks later...

Peace.

Thank you for the welcome!

I am not buying the fact this album was released August 15...maybe in the UK it was, but not in the U.S. I'll have to check my archives, but I could swear it was released on a Monday. KMET and/or KLOS had played the entire album the night before it went on sale, and I have memories of that being on a Sunday night, which would make the release date either August 13 or August 20.

I woke up early around 3 in the morning and went down to the Licorice Pizza across from the Tyler Mall in Riverside and camped out waiting for the store to open. I was first in line, and by the time the store opened there were about 50 people in line. I bought 2 copies of ITTOD and Queen's "Live Killers" double-album.

I'll let you know after I go through my files...I'm just going to need further proof before I believe August 15 was the date.

Licorice Pizza across from the Tyler Mall in Riverside...WOW, I stayed in Corona for a while in 1979 (2010 Via Del Rio) and used to visit Licorice Pizza all the time. I also remember Musicland in Tyler Mall. Thanks for the post as I have not thought of them days in a long time!! Kenny

Still one of my favourite albums. What I really enjoy about it is how the songs all belong together. I like such albums, and I feel the same way about Led Zeppelin I and III, actually.

If you take the songs individually, they made better ones on other albums, but as an album as a whole, it really flows. I think it's beautifully crafted, bold, different, and still very powerful.

I think ITTOD was an interesting album that further diversified the LZ catalog. I agree that having songs like "Darlene" on the album would have strengthened it. On my MP3 player, "Darlene" does appear on ITTOD as the 2nd track (in place of SBS).

I think that the whole Jimmy and Bonham were too wasted theme is a little over played.

It think the situation falls more along the lines of ITTOD not being the album that Page and Bonham wanted to release so more control was given to Jones and Plant.

If you look at it, Jimmy brought 5 songs to the session that did not make it on the album so he provided more than enough contribution to the writing for that album.

Plug Jimmy did produce and mix the album.

Jimmy has stated in interview that he thought that All My Love was a little too soft for A Led Zeppelin song and the he let Robert have his way because of what he was dealing with, Both he and Bonham felt that for the follow up to ITTOD would be a return to a harder more driving sound.

Hi CM Ritter, great post. I agree, I think Page and Bonham were absolutely fantastic on that album, too good to give much cred to the theory of them being too wasted. I like your observation about the move away from the Les Paul. I think he sould move away from it now, I don't know why he returned to it so much. The ever onward motto seemed to largely go away around the late 80's.

I like lzzos's remark re. repetiton of previously made albums. This was a new album of new sounds, they had already made dirty hard rock. This was shiny and different, and Page largely seemed to re-invent his approach to guitar for it. His new direction there does not get much recognition, and I think its great.

Carouselambra is my fav. Zep song. The beginning is the only time I can think of where Zeppelin music sounds dated. That's not a bad thing, just interesting to me. It's still the best for me.

It seems that Page isn't big on All of My Love. I really like it. I don't know why he feels that way, yet released Take Me For A Little While.

The vocals by Plant are a very different approach to what he did on previous albums. Like Page, he really changed his approach there. He largely sounded like a different singer. I find that very impressive. They sound like a new and unheard band on that. I think thats remarkable.

• 1 month later...

For me, the album is their worst studio performance. Just my opinion. I still love the album. It did what Zeppelin always did, provide the listener with something bnew and diverse to enjoy. Zeppelin was always changing and ITTOD was no different.

The three highlights on the album for me are: "In The Evening" "I'm Gonna Crawl" and "Fool in the Rain." I've always found myself going to those songs the most when I listen to the album.

Is the album perfect? No, not in my opinion. Is it terrible? Not even close. Zeppelin never released anything even remotely close to "terriible." I think this album, like most music, is a personal preference thing. Like chocolate or vanilla. It's all in the ears of the listener.

Archived