Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
The Pagemeister

Robert Plant Remixes

The BIGLY remix has an interesting history. The song was originally remixed by a D.J. named Prince Quick Mix way back in 1995 and it became a huge underground club hit. It was one of the earliest examples (if not the very first example) of a dance club remix of a rock song. Anyway, Prince Quick Mix wanted to release the song as a legit single, but Zep told him that he couldn't sample Robert's vocals. So the project died.

A few years later, Paul Oakenfold released his own remix of the song. It also sampled Robert's vocals, but I'm not sure if he actually got permission or if he just avoided the copyright law by releasing the song only in Australia.

Then, Prince Quick Mix decided to work up a new version of the song -- but this time he hired a Robert Plant soundalike to do the vocals!! (Originally he tried to get David Coverdale to do it, but Coverdale turned him down! LOL) Anyway, PQM later gave his new vocal track to another D.J. named Phil K, who released his own version of the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEd1DFTISIQ

In 2007, Dirty South worked up yet another remix of the song, also featuring a soundalike vocalist -- but not the same singer from Prince Quick Mix's version!!

(At least the other guy sounded a bit like Robert!)

liked the first one, second one .... not too bad, third one, EEEEW! hated it!

Not the first time Paul Oakenfold has included some Zeppelin in his DJ sets. I remember way back Paul dropped the beginning of Stairway before moving on in his own trancey sort of thing in an Essential Mix on Radio 1 in the UK. A founder of the new club DJ's, which brought the house scene from Ibiza to a worldwide audience back in the late 80's. His crowning glory must have been the 1994 Goa Mix, again on Radio 1's Essential Mix series, which was oustanding and i still listen to it today.

I only have it on a bootleg, but there's a fantastic remix of the song Mighty Rearranger with Black Dog that RP used to open some of the latter shows in 2006.

The Brother Ray version is the intro that was used at the show I show in 2005. Think it was June of that year. Or possibly July.