Photography

zepps_apprentice

I'd try converting this to black and white myself, you've got good texture and subtles changes of tone there but as a colour shot your really lacking contrast which is much easier to heavly manipulate in B&W

That's what happens, when you're color blind as I am. I already see it in black and white. I play with many of my shots but I see richness in bland tones.

Stairway to heaven v v

DSCN2071.JPG

DSCN2073.JPG

DSCN1971.JPG

dscn1971labedit.jpg

I'd try converting this to black and white myself, you've got good texture and subtles changes of tone there but as a colour shot your really lacking contrast which is much easier to heavly manipulate in B&W

There are ways of recapturing color and contrast in Photoshop.

The initial impulse would be tweaking Curves, bumping HSB, Brightness/Contrast, etc., but these processes strip out original image data, and don't look very natural, oftentimes oversaturated.

This is also apparent when viewing the RGB histograms after performing these operations, which will reveal white "stripes" of missing data.

However, by going into LAB mode, you can punch up the original color data that exists in the image without any loss of image data.

Once you have achieved the desired results, simply change back to RGB, where the historgams will reveal NO "stripes" of data loss.

I've taken the liberty of doing a quick LAB color boost on the above photo to demonstrate.

Many photos that are somewhat "muddy" and lacking color contrast can be remarkably improved through this technique.

EDITED to place photos together for comparison.

Edited by TypeO

There are ways of recapturing color and contrast in Photoshop.

The initial impulse would be tweaking Curves, bumping HSB, Brightness/Contrast, etc., but these processes strip out original image data, and don't look very natural, oftentimes oversaturated.

This is also apparent when viewing the RGB histograms after performing these operations, which will reveal white "stripes" of missing data.

However, by going into LAB mode, you can punch up the original color data that exists in the image without any loss of image data.

Once you have achieved the desired results, simply change back to RGB, where the historgams will reveal NO "stripes" of data loss.

I've taken the liberty of doing a quick LAB color boost on the above photo to demonstrate.

Many photos that are somewhat "muddy" and lacking color contrast can be remarkably improved through this technique.

EDITED to place photos together for comparison.

You see to me that edit still looks unnaturally overstatured and I don't think it focuses on the pics strenghts, strong texture and the atmosphere the washed out colour creates. I suggested B&W because I thought it might keep the same kiind of atmosphere while bringing out the texture more with the increased contrast manipulation B&W allows.

img1279s.jpg

img1267q.jpg

Edited by greenman

You see to me that edit still looks unnaturally overstatured and I don't think it focuses on the pics strenghts, strong texture and the atmosphere the washed out colour creates.

I did it kinda fast to demonstrate.

And there's no knock against B&W.

The idea is simply that there's a lot of color data - even in muddy, low-contrast photos - that can be recovered.

And it's more useful for displaying as close a representation of the original scene as viewed with the naked eye but not as accurately captured in the original photo, rather than presenting the most artistically dramatic representation.

I did it kinda fast to demonstrate.

And there's no knock against B&W.

The idea is simply that there's a lot of color data - even in muddy, low-contrast photos - that can be recovered.

And it's more useful for displaying as close a representation of the original scene as viewed with the naked eye but not as accurately captured in the original photo, rather than presenting the most artistically dramatic representation.

Yeah I agree there is and its often very effective, what I generally find though is that if its not colour but contrast that needs to be heavly manipulated(either up or down) then B&W allows you the freedom to do so without things looking unnatural.

Yeah I agree there is and its often very effective, what I generally find though is that if its not colour but contrast that needs to be heavly manipulated(either up or down) then B&W allows you the freedom to do so without things looking unnatural.

I hope this year to get a better camera (Canon, I heard their movie capability is like film) and the good black & white editing program.

I suppose a good printer and good paper will also be looked at.

I hope this year to get a better camera (Canon, I heard their movie capability is like film) and the good black & white editing program.

I suppose a good printer and good paper will also be looked at.

I just got my Canon EOS Rebel T3I, 18 MP and full HD video.

And even though I use a Canon 5D at work, my new Rebel actually has one advantage over the 5D - auto-focus in video mode.

The 5D requires manual focus in video mode, which can be challenging for these old eyes sometimes.

As I said I'm not using anything that advanced for those, just shooting RAW and processing with Canons free Digital Photo Professional that has present colour filters(which change the brightness of those colours in B&W) and contrast adjust for highlights and shadows.

Red filter to bring out the morning sunlight more...

img1674sx.jpg

Green filter to lighten the leaves....

img1661md.jpg