"Americana" Added to Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Jahfin

From AmericanaMusic.org:

Merriam-Webster announced today, as reported by the Associated Press, the inclusion of the musical definition of the word Americana to its Collegiate Dictionary. Americana joins Tweet, m-commerce and around 100 other words whose use is now widely recognized enough to be a part of today's lexicon. According to the dictionary's editors Americana music is defined as: a genre of American music having roots in early folk and country music

Americana, as a musical term, has been under consideration longer than the 12 years the Americana Music Association has been in existence. Merriam-Webster's inclusion of the word is based on widespread general written use, longevity, and an easily discernible definition.

"I'm thrilled. It’s affirmation of what we have been saying for over a decade" said Jed Hilly, Executive Director of the Americana Music Association. "To have an authority like Merriam Webster do the research and determine that our society recognizes the Americana genre is really great."

To read more from the Associated Press click here.

Meanwhile the 12th annual Americana Music Festival & Conference presented by Nissan, is slated for October 12-15 in Nashville. The conference offers seminars, panels and networking opportunities by day and raw, battery-recharging showcases each evening. The Honors and Awards Show will be held October 13th at the historic Ryman Auditorium. To purchase conference badges, award tickets, or festival wristbands visit americanamusic.org.

It's been bugging me for the last few days, there is a Canadian folk rock band that I like, which is branded as "Americana". I'm finding it weird since none of the members is American. Is this correct or are most of these labels simply a generalization?

It's been bugging me for the last few days, there is a Canadian folk rock band that I like, which is branded as "Americana". I'm finding it weird since none of the members is American. Is this correct or are most of these labels simply a generalization?

The Band are the quintessential "Americana" band yet all of the members (save Levon Helm) are Canadian. I think it's a term more rooted in sound than a specific geographical region. Or, you could go with Canada being part of North America.

The Band are the quintessential "Americana" band yet all of the members (save Levon Helm) are Canadian. I think it's a term more rooted in sound than a specific geographical region. Or, you could go with Canada being part of North America.

So, by your description one can say that there could be all sorts of Scandinavian, maybe Russian bands playing Americana? I have a friend who is Norwegian and they have all sorts of Country music bands who play American country music the only difference being the language they use. One of this bands is the Hellbillies.

Well if a bunch of musicians from Norway are playing country music, the influence for that would come from the United Sates or North America? I would think? So "Americana" fits that then, wouldn't it?

"Canadiana" if it makes one feel better I guess.

Well if a bunch of musicians from Norway are playing country music, the influence for that would come from the United Sates or North America? I would think? So "Americana" fits that then, wouldn't it?

That's the gist I get out of it. Then again, alt.country and Americana have never been very clearly defined. Like rock n' roll and most every other genre, there's always room for plenty of blurred lines.

Archived