NYC 9/11 First Responders Excluded from 10th Anniversary Ceremony

cryingbluerain

ew York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg decreed that police officers and firefighters may not attend tomorrow’s 10th anniversary commemoration at Ground Zero of the attacks on the World Trade Center towers because there is not enough room for them. He apparently wants to go into the history books as the author of the most shameful insult in the history of his city.

The 2,819 people killed by the attacks included 343 firefighters, 60 officers from the police departments of the city and the Port Authority, owner of the towers, and three court officers. That is enough reason to honor them, but there is an additional reason, their breathtaking courage above the call of duty.

All accounts agree, firefighters struggled into the stricken buildings without hesitation and police officers rushed to help the wounded even as bodies fell to the sidewalks around them.

The mayor’s spokesman, Andrew Brent, said that tomorrow’s ceremony was intended for victims’ families, and “we’re working to find ways to recognize and honor first responders, and other groups, at different places and times.”

Anybody who knows any police officers or firefighters knows that these professions take on the nature of families.

Though not specifically invited, police and firefighter representatives have attended all previous services at Ground Zero without hindrance.

Every round-number anniversary of any kind — a marriage, a career, a job tenure — automatically is accorded greater significance than the others.

Human nature is like that. To push the professional brothers and sisters of dead heroes into “different places and times” on such a day is despicable in the extreme, and the notoriety of the act will follow Bloomberg to the grave.

Guy Darst is a former deputy editorial page editor of The Boston Herald.

Bloomberg doesn't want any clergy there either. I'm not sure what the King of NYC wants exactly. I guess burying your head in the sand must be the way to go? Why people down there have actually elected this man three times eludes me.

I don't know who elected him and the fact he got away with allowing himself to run a 3rd term and then has the nerve to say no one should be allowed to do that is beyond me. He is destroying the city with every stupid thing he does. Sadly it's no secret he hates the police and fire departments as well as teachers because they are unionized and he'd like nothing better than to absolve them. All three have been at a stand still with their contracts for way too long.

On the actual day of Sept. 11, 2001. As soon as that tragedy happened, Iron Workers, Firemen, Cops and many other blue collar heroes rushed down there to help, no one invited them that tragic day, they showed up to help their fellow humans. Ten years later they are not invited to the Memorial????

911-responders.jpg

That picture of the firemen carrying Father Mike's body out makes me cry everytime I see it! I heard on something last night that they wrapped his body in the flag and carried it to the nearest church and then went back to the rescue efforts. :(

It seriously seems like JUST YESTERDAY that this happened. I honestly remember being glued to the TV, watching the news reports obsessively, trying to figure out what an Osama Bin Laden was.

Being an American who was 20 at the time, I guess I really haven't known an America that wasn't at war or high-security as an adult. I just cannot believe that with all the changes we've seen as a result of this horrible tragedy that it seems like it just happened yesterday.

I remember.

I remember vividly.

Remembering 10 years ago today is important for all to reflect on. It is human nature to have a short memory and we need to never forget. Those that were actually there know the true heartache of the day, but I feel there is still some disconnection for most people to the horrors experienced and the hardship to endure if more terrorism were to come to our shores. The generation that survived WWII know all to well of this and are greatful for each day that life is given them.

As I sit here in my lounge, drinking my morning coffee, I know there are things constantly in motion to protect the freedoms we all enjoy. I am greatful and humbled by the dedication needed to keep up the fight. May peace finally come to humanity one day

A TOAST

A TRIBUTE TO THE FALLEN (343 Firefighters September 11, 2001)

Tip your hats in Honor.

Have a seat in Pride.

Pour a cup of Dignity.

Pour in sugar with Love.

Add cream for Security.

Stir for Unity and Peace.

http://www.9-11heroes.us/911-memorial-poems-c.php

Remembering 10 years ago today is important for all to reflect on. It is human nature to have a short memory and we need to never forget. Those that were actually there know the true heartache of the day, but I feel there is still some disconnection for most people to the horrors experienced and the hardship to endure if more terrorism were to come to our shores. The generation that survived WWII know all to well of this and are greatful for each day that life is given them.

As I sit here in my lounge, drinking my morning coffee, I know there are things constantly in motion to protect the freedoms we all enjoy. I am greatful and humbled by the dedication needed to keep up the fight. May peace finally come to humanity one day

A TOAST

A TRIBUTE TO THE FALLEN (343 Firefighters September 11, 2001)

Tip your hats in Honor.

Have a seat in Pride.

Pour a cup of Dignity.

Pour in sugar with Love.

Add cream for Security.

Stir for Unity and Peace.

http://www.9-11heroe...ial-poems-c.php

That was very nice!!!

Only in the U.S. would the people who risked their lives be excluded from the cermony. My thanks to all who helped that day--in thought, word, actin or prayer.

That picture of the firemen carrying Father Mike's body out makes me cry everytime I see it! I heard on something last night that they wrapped his body in the flag and carried it to the nearest church and then went back to the rescue efforts. :(

Today's ceremony was strictly for family members of the victims. I don't see anything wrong with that, and I don't see anything wrong with Mayor Bloomberg either. This was something for them, to memorialize their loss. The other 364 days of the year can be for everyone else to come by, reflect, and enjoy the solitude of the memorial. I don't understand all the hand-wringing over this.

Keeping today's ceremony strictly for family members is not an insult to anyone, nor was it meant to trivialize anyone else's loss or suffering in the years since. I think some of you are overreacting about this. I watched the ceremony today, and it was very moving, and those who intentionally avoided watching it because of some erroneously-believed slight against other people, with all due respect, missed the point.

The 2,819 people killed by the attacks included 343 firefighters, 60 officers from the police departments of the city and the Port Authority, owner of the towers, and three court officers.

Today's ceremony was strictly for family members of the victims. I don't see anything wrong with that, and I don't see anything wrong with Mayor Bloomberg either. This was something for them, to memorialize their loss. The other 364 days of the year can be for everyone else to come by, reflect, and enjoy the solitude of the memorial. I don't understand all the hand-wringing over this.

Keeping today's ceremony strictly for family members is not an insult to anyone, nor was it meant to trivialize anyone else's loss or suffering in the years since. I think some of you are overreacting about this. I watched the ceremony today, and it was very moving, and those who intentionally avoided watching it because of some erroneously-believed slight against other people, with all due respect, missed the point.

Read the above. :blink:

KB

at first read this all seemed a bit hard to believe

nice ceremony for the victims (some of whom i know personally)......and i can see where there wasn't room for everyone at the "victim" ceremony.......but at the very least they should have had a second ceremony for the first responders as well (yes....i realise they were victims too)

Of the First Responders, 343 members of the FDNY lost their lives. The NYPD lost 23. The Port Authority Police lost 37. Of the 2998 killed at Ground Zero, 403 of them were First Responders, and one of them was a priest. That's what, about 12% of the total?

According to this article published a year ago the number of First Responders who lost their lives should be much higher

9/11 aftermath gets the first responders as world mourns victims

and that in the years since the tragedy at least "900 (more!) First Responders have died, victims of their own courage" due to carcinoma, sarcoma, gall bladder cancer, liver cancer, etc. - an exploding health crisis U.S. officials have failed to address, and continue questioning as to whether they “actually get diagnosed as being directly sick from 9/11”.

When two hijacked, terrorist-piloted passenger jets were deliberately flown into the Twin Towers, in an act of war against our nation, the first recorded casualty was a Roman Catholic priest and NYFD chaplain — Fr. Mychal Judge — who had ridden to the burning towers, and blessed doomed firefighters, hearing last confessions on the way.

And while Judge's body was being carried away from the catastrophe by the firefighters who loved him, and whom he loved, First Responders from all ranks, all units, all departments were heading toward that disaster area, not running away, intent on saving as many human lives as possible, even as they weighed the terrible odds. They went up the stairs, while office workers went down.

Reading this reminds me why I became Roman Catholic and married a man who works in support of Firefighters over 20 years ago. Although I've been embarrassed and reprimanded by corrupt priests and have had too-close-for-comfort-contact with pedophile priests, the basic traditional doctrine of the Roman Catholic church is the only way to make sense of the tragedies of this world and the terrifying truths of humanity, what truly makes life worthwhile, and the afterlife.

WHY do firefighters and good priests run headlong into danger, are they crazy? Suicidal? Stupid? Looking for excitement? Looking for better wages and/or economic opportunities? Hoping for notoriety, fame, friendship, fun times?

No, seems to me it's something else ... and that's why they go UP the "stairs"! :yesnod::bravo::notworthy::thumbsup:

According to this article published a year ago the number of First Responders who lost their lives should be much higher

9/11 aftermath gets the first responders as world mourns victims

and that in the years since the tragedy at least "900 (more!) First Responders have died, victims of their own courage" due to carcinoma, sarcoma, gall bladder cancer, liver cancer, etc. - an exploding health crisis U.S. officials have failed to address, and continue questioning as to whether they “actually get diagnosed as being directly sick from 9/11”.

Reading this reminds me why I became Roman Catholic and married a man who works in support of Firefighters over 20 years ago. Although I've been embarrassed and reprimanded by corrupt priests and have had too-close-for-comfort-contact with pedophile priests, the basic traditional doctrine of the Roman Catholic church is the only way to make sense of the tragedies of this world and the terrifying truths of humanity, what truly makes life worthwhile, and the afterlife.

WHY do firefighters and good priests run headlong into danger, are they crazy? Suicidal? Stupid? Looking for excitement? Looking for better wages and/or economic opportunities? Hoping for notoriety, fame, friendship, fun times?

No, seems to me it's something else ... and that's why they go UP the "stairs"! :yesnod::bravo::notworthy::thumbsup:

Well said and I totally agree! :cheer:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived