I'm arguing with people on youtube

Zeppelin Led

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is Zeppelin really did heavily "borrow" on their first two albums without giving proper writing credits. Simply adding the original author would have stopped this endless argument in its' tracks forty years ago.

Listen to "Bring It On Home", you just don't throw in a hard rock middle and call it your own. Sonny Boy and especially Willie Dixon (who had to sue for this one too) both deserved better. People today hear the original and then Zep's version and they pounce on it.

That's just how it is.

Much of it stems from DAC. They didn't "borrow" that. But yeah had they given credit when due none of this would've happened. They brought it upon themselves and unfortunately once the door was opened people started reaching further than was justified. Some of the examples are pathetic, others spot on. Personally I'm not offended by things done in tribute or snippets of lyrics that are tossed in that may be homage to a lesser known artist. DAC is where it gets ugly.

The amount of misinformed information I seen regarding the issue is laughable at best.

Apparently Anne Bredon Sued Jimmy Page.

Not at all. Basically, she wrote Zep a letter to let them know that she was the true author of BIGLY (the Joan Baez album never credited her, so there was no way for Jimmy to know she wrote it). Then Zep's publisher set up a meeting with Bredon's publisher where everyone agreed to a 50-50 split of the credits, and that was that. Anne Bredon has no hard feelings about the way things happened.

• 1 month later...

Regardless of what was borrowed/stolen or whatever, the Zeppelin songs continue to live on while I can't say I've ever heard any of the original songs other than in these "Led Zeppelin's Biggest Secret" videos. Some fans need to realize and accept that Zep blatantly stole some of their music, and did not give credit. This argument would end.

They are still amazing artists, they gave these songs their own flavor and made them eternal classics.

HMMMM...wonder if Zep will sue Black Sabbath for "stealing" Communication Breakdown and calling it Paranoid??? Geezer stated in an interview that is what they did. While they are at it, they need to sue Creed and about a hundred different hair metal bands for "borrowing" everything from riffs to lyrics.... :beat:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

well those people just like to stir things up and piss people off, of course there are similarities but zeppelin is zeppelin they came out with a deep blusey rock sound that did root from the blues of course, but they created a masterful sound. That is completely their own.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never been on youtube - thank God, several members of my family use it regularly and face book. I realise that they are just fucking morons wirh nothing better to do, sure if you have avideo that is of interest - show it to the world, but don't profess to know everything about it. I have one family member who says thigs such as ....it must be true I saw it on whatever, just ignore them I do.

Bashing Zeppelin for "stealing songs" has almost become trendy in the last few years in particular (I blame The Simpsons ;) ) but the harsh reality is that they did appropriate a few songs from other artists and gave themselves the credit (and therefore the royalties, which is what I think people really have the issue with). Some are more obvious than others, of course, but the fact that Willie Dixon actually sued them over "Whole Lotta Love" adds a lot of fuel to the fire.

Thing is, it's not like Led Zeppelin was the only band to do this...sure, what they did was wrong, but what pisses me off is how Zeppelin gets crucified for it yet musicians like Bob Dylan, whose last few albums constitute songwriting 'theft' to make Zep's transgressions seem minor -and truth be told ol' Zimmy has been appropriating other peoples' material and calling it his own (or that old standby, "Trad. arranged by") his entire career- gets a free pass. Zeppelin's detractors go al over the internet bashing the band, yet Dylan, and Eric Clapton, and The Rolling Stones, among others, get away with it.

As for YouTube, well, fuck YouTube. Never in one place have I seen so many non retarded people act like total retards :lol:

• 1 month later...

I feel sorry for Jake Holmes (Dazed and Confused) who allegedly contacts Page every now and then to say eh thats my song but nothing, no credits or anything, I would be peeved, just a little credit would be good, even though Zeppelin songs sound so much better than the originals...nicking goes on and on in all forms of music, Kraftwerks Tour De France theme tune basically nicked the melody from composer Paul Hindersmith but ends the melody with a different note from opening section of “Sonata for Flute and Piano”...so it does go on without credit.

I feel sorry for Jake Holmes (Dazed and Confused) who allegedly contacts Page every now and then to say eh thats my song but nothing, no credits or anything,

It seems that you are misinformed. First, Holmes only (allegedly) contacted Page once -- then gave up when he didn't get a response.

Second, Holmes filed a copyright lawsuit in June 2010 and reach an out-of-court settlement with Jimmy in November 2011. The drama has ended.

It seems that you are misinformed. First, Holmes only (allegedly) contacted Page once -- then gave up when he didn't get a response.

Second, Holmes filed a copyright lawsuit in June 2010 and reach an out-of-court settlement with Jimmy in November 2011. The drama has ended.

Thats good news indeed, I must admit I hadnt checked in 2 years. Eventually all your wrongs will have to be righted. Think that leaves only Stairway, Kashmir and Achilles as true originals :), but what 3 originals they are.

Archived