Welcome to my time machine

Lee

OK, I might be jumping the gun a bit here, as it isn't quite finished yet. I'm a bit concerned that the future me hasn't come back to tell me how to sort out the quantum loop multiverse jump start.

However....if I do get it working and could go back to see just one gig, which would it be?

For me, the two people I missed out on would be Jimi Hendrix and Keith Moon, so an Experience/Who show from 1967 would be my must-see. They played on the same bill a few times, such as London's Saville Theatre and Monterey, of course.

Only one gig or group is of course extremely limiting, so if this was expanded to say another half a dozen, the rest of the list would be:

Beethoven (to hear his improvisation)

Robert Johnson (just to see if this stories about his playing were true!)

Charlie Parker (ideally with Miles Davis, who I saw a few times in later years)

The Beatles at the Cavern (before they smartened up their act)

Cream (who were excellent in 2005, but would love to have seen the younger 1960's version)

and obviously I would want to see Led Zep again, either an early 70's gig when they opened with Immigrant Song, or one of the Earl's Court gigs.

I would also go back and kick myself for having missed seeing Bob Marley (was just not into reggae at the time) and Bill Hicks (didn't even know he existed until after he died - really took my eye off the ball on that one).

So...what's your fantasy time trip?

Hi,

Can we only pick one?

I'm leaning towards the 1979 concert with Joni Mitchell and her fab backup band of Jaco Pastorius, Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker, and Don Alias.

Or......The one and only Pink Floyd, The 1977 Animals Tour, specifically. I never tire of that masterpiece.

Tough choice. I think I'll have to ponder and come back and do an edit of my final answer! :) missy

You can pick more than one!

...but if pushed, I'm curious as to which the top of the list would be.

I could probably list at least 100 gigs/festivals myself...and yes, I would have certainly liked to see Pink Floyd in the mid-late 1970's (or indeed the original lineup in 66/67).

The only time I saw the classic Floyd lineup was June 17th 1981 - the final Wall concert at Earl's Court, and as far as I'm aware the last full concert that line-up played, although they played 4 songs at Live 8 many years later.

Unfortunately missed out on seeing Joni, though, and indeed Jaco. I saw the post-Pastoruis Weather Report a few times, who were excellent. I can't help but think that his 20 minute bass solos probably would have been a bit tiresome after a while!

My wife saw Joni Mitchell in the early 80's, so that's one she's got up on me :P

Lots of things to pick from, one gig would not be enough:

Niccolo Paganini

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Robert Johnson

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Edith Piaf

Deep Purple, Aachen 1970 (Best version ever of Mandrake Root......I would like to get some good hashish to go with this concert as well)

David Bowie in his Ziggy Stardust era

Queen, around the time of Sheer Heart Attack/Night At The Opera

Led Zeppelin, 1970 and the Badgeholders show (With a badgeholder to give me a blow job during the legendary drum solo, so far to my dirty little mind)

Rainbow with Dio

Ozzy/Randy, Diary Of a Madman tour

Jeff Buckley

(Edited to add Ozzy)

If I could have a re-do, I would have gone to see Led Zeppelin in Cleveland, 1977, when alot of people from my college dorm went.

I thought that they were stupid at the time because it was mid-week during school and they would be missing classes/ study time to go to Cleveland and back to Columbus, a distance that seemed a lot longer to travel back in the 70's.

For starters...

The Doors at the Whiskey

Bob Marley at the Roxy

Led Zeppelin at the Fillmore West with Rahsaan Roland Kirk

Jimi Hendrix at the Fillmore East with Sly & the Family Stone

The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl

Monterey Pop Festival

Elvis before the Army

Lee, it almost certainly has to be the Flux Capacitor.

Anyway...

Definitely back to the Lakeland Civic Center in '77 to the Lynyrd Skynyrd show a lot of my friends went to but I missed - it was like only a couple days before the crash.

Also, again Lakeland, the '77 Pink Floyd Animals Tour show my friends went to but I missed.

I'd also love to have seen Yes whenever they did Going For The One.

And any of the '77 Presence Tour shows other than the one I attended - June 3, in Tampa (the Rain-out) - so I could see a whole performance rather than just the 3 songs.

And finally, since I'm one of like, only a couple hundred or so people who weren't at Woodstock... :rolleyes:

Of course, I'd have probably done the brown acid.

• LZ Earls Court
  • Grateful Dead - whenever they performed "Jack-A-Roe" & "Shakedown Street"
  • Beethoven - when he was almost finished writing Ninth Symphony, Fourth Movement
  • Handel during writing of "For Unto Us A Child Is Born" (from "The Messiah")

There's more but can't think of them right now. :=)

(edited to add Ludwig & G.F.) :P

Lee, it almost certainly has to be the Flux Capacitor.

Anyway...

Definitely back to the Lakeland Civic Center in '77 to the Lynyrd Skynyrd show a lot of my friends went to but I missed - it was like only a couple days before the crash.

Also, again Lakeland, the '77 Pink Floyd Animals Tour show my friends went to but I missed.

I'd also love to have seen Yes whenever they did Going For The One.

And any of the '77 Presence Tour shows other than the one I attended - June 3, in Tampa (the Rain-out) - so I could see a whole performance rather than just the 3 songs.

And finally, since I'm one of like, only a couple hundred or so people who weren't at Woodstock... :rolleyes:

Of course, I'd have probably done the brown acid.

I got my flux capacitor from Rolls-Royce...maybe it's not compatible with Windows 7?

Anyhow...bad luck on the Tampa rain-out; Peter Grant was well pissed off that no extra 'rain-date' was scheduled, which is usually the case to deal with such situations.

As for Woodstock...going on what I've heard about actually being there (not least from Pete Townshend), I can't help but think that maybe it wasn't such fun.

I went to Glastonbury about 15 times, and suspect those were a lot better organised!

Used to like Yes, but the last time I saw them in 2003 (the line-up was the same as played on Going for the One), they sounded exactly the same as 1973...in other words for a 'progressive' band, they hadn't progressed at all. Rick Wakeman played a bit of Six Wives that was literally note-for-note identical to the recording on Yessongs!

Anyone else have a hit-list of 'wish I'd been there' gigs?

In terms of a couple of extras on mine, I would add another Who gig from the early 70's, and the Stones around the same period.

...and what the hell, Zep's 1977 six night run in LA for good measure.

...and an early Mothers gig.

Charlie punching out Mick,...

Roger punching out Pete,.....

Pete kicking Abby off stage,...

Sounds like you're more interested in the fights than the gigs!

Obviously there are hundreds... Here's 6.

Feb 3 1959 Clear Lake Iowa ..... So I could tell Richie Valens, Buddy Holly, and The Big Bopper to take the bus.

Thanksgiving 1974 - Elton John - Madison Square Garden - Joined on stage by John Lennon. Elton made a deal with Lennon that if "Whatever gets you through the Night" went to #1, he'd have to perform onstage.

Part of the excellent live album "Here and There" was from this show..

It would be John Lennon's last major concert appearance.

The Beatles rooftop concert.. Only 20 minutes, but imagine walking down the street and hearing that.

Led Zeppelin - 1973 Boston Garden.

Pink Floyd - The Wall 1980 Nassau.

Black Sabbath 12/3/1997 NEC Birmingham... 1st complete show by the original line up since 1978.

Archived