Tempe '77

Zeppelin Led

IMO Robert's voice was much better in '77 than in '75. On the '75 tour, his voice was ravaged by flu, and the fact that they were touring in winter and it wreaked havoc on his voice. He cracked a lot on that tour. On many bootlegs, the first line of "Rock and Roll" is comical, he starts the show cracking all over the place. In '77, he took it to a lower register and had a good mid-range powerful voice without much cracking.

IMO Robert's voice was much better in '77 than in '75. On the '75 tour, his voice was ravaged by flu, and the fact that they were touring in winter and it wreaked havoc on his voice. He cracked a lot on that tour. On many bootlegs, the first line of "Rock and Roll" is comical, he starts the show cracking all over the place. In '77, he took it to a lower register and had a good mid-range powerful voice without much cracking.

Yes Rock And Roll was affected worst in 75.

Earls Courts

77 was obviously the worst for him. 68 - 73 was at his peak.

Nah, PLant actualy sounded better 77 than he did the majority of 73.

But i prefer 73/75 Zep, personally my fave years. Go figure.

Going back to Tempe, dont bother, just dig the Millard tapes. Beautiful.

s not the best show techincally, but the energy was there, and the Stairway solo is amazing.

Being fortunate eough to be at both Seattle 75' and 77' I can't even describe what a difference two years had on this band, at least looking at the two Seattle shows. 75' Seattle was so F' ing energized and intense with Page an Bonham giving peak performances. The crowd went absolutely crazy when the houselights went down. It was deafening! Seattle 77' was a total disaster though just being there amongst 72,000 people blew my mind. There was no intensity. The band casually walked on stage with the stage lights on and Plant talked for about 5 minutes or so before he said "welcome to Led Zepelin" and they began with TSRTS. The crowd had high energy but it quickly disapaited after about the 3rd song when they realized the bad was tired, flat, playing in place most the night and distant due to the venue. The sound was also badly muffled, The Kingdome was no place to do an acoustic set as well though the band likely enjoyed sitting down. 75' Seattle there was no acoustic set at all, all out assault from rock and roll to Black dog. I think every song in Seattle 75 was played in 77 as well, 77 was just longer and included a long acoustic set as well as a couple songs from Presence.

As far as Tempe 77 goes I have not hear it, but from what others sa I think I'll pass and stick to the good ones.

• 2 weeks later...

77 was not the time of Robert's peak. 1975 was not bad.

If you have any 75 recordings you will hear that more than not, his voice was not great. 77 was a better year for Plant's voice and the whole band as any (most ) bootlegs will prove. There were moments in the 75 tour that were great but as a whole the 77 shows were better, without a doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy 1975. My favorite year probably. I don't really give a fuck that Robert's voice is hoarse; it's certainly better than Jimmy being high as fuck and playing sloppy as shit. Besides, as the tour went on, his voice got better. Some things I really like the '75 tour: good soundboards, Trampled Underfoot was played the best this year (wasn't slow and lethargic as it was in 1977), the keys section in general was great; this is my favorite year for No Quarter as well and Earl's Court shows were Zeppelin's best. The band as a whole sounds much much better.

I downloaded Tempe and I can't hardly hear anything. The 1977 tour was just the ok tour IMO. It was too sloppy and the tour was too long. They were exhausted by the end of it. Page is sloppy as hell and Plant's voice is ok but he can't hit the high note anymore. Rock Historian, I disagree. It was not better for the band. Page was too high because of all the heroin and was just out of it. you can hear how many times he fucks up in the boots. There are a lot of good shows in 1977 but to me, there are more shit ones than not.

And Zeppelin Led, listen to Rock and Roll in 1977, they all sound sloppy IMO, especially the intro. Examples: Inglewood 6/23/77, Inglewood 6/27/77, Houston 5/21/77.

TBH I'm listening to ALS From tempe and its not that bad imo The drumming is top notch,The solo was fine.

The vocals aren't great for 77 and tbh Its better than seattle and I love the Seattle version.

In all honesty I don't think the perfromance is a trainwreck

Although towards the end it kinda gets fucked up.

TBH I'm listening to ALS From tempe and its not that bad imo The drumming is top notch,The solo was fine.

The vocals aren't great for 77 and tbh Its better than seattle and I love the Seattle version.

In all honesty I don't think the perfromance is a trainwreck

Although towards the end it kinda gets fucked up.

The Seattle version is one of the worst ive heard, totally out of tune.

Archived