Zeppelin Led

-cough cough- How the West Was Won, cough cough-.

cough cough cough cough SEE ALSO: The Soundtrack For The Film 'The Song Remains The Same' cough cough cough cough...or about 99.9% of any official live albums you can think of...which is why I prefer the 'warts and all' aspects of untampered bootleg recordings...no live performance is 100% perfect. If yer gonna start editing out fuckups on yer live recordings, ya might as well re-record 'em in the studio and add in the applause afterward...oh wait...(not that Zeppelin did that, mind you, I'm thinking more along the lines of Kiss's Alive! albums or Europe '72 by the Grateful Dead, just a couple examples off the top of my head- those albums are no more 'live' than Physical Graffiti)

cough cough cough cough SEE ALSO: The Soundtrack For The Film 'The Song Remains The Same' cough cough cough cough...or about 99.9% of any official live albums you can think of...which is why I prefer the 'warts and all' aspects of untampered bootleg recordings...no live performance is 100% perfect. If yer gonna start editing out fuckups on yer live recordings, ya might as well re-record 'em in the studio and add in the applause afterward...oh wait...(not that Zeppelin did that, mind you, I'm thinking more along the lines of Kiss's Alive! albums or Europe '72 by the Grateful Dead, just a couple examples off the top of my head- those albums are no more 'live' than Physical Graffiti)

Yeah, TSRTS was an even bigger offender than HTWWW. Another "Frankenstein" live album could be The Doors: Absolutely Live

Cough, cough...off topic 1977 thread...cough, cough! ;)

cough cough...sorry, musta been something I smoked LOL!

So let's get back on track...why do any of you suppose the audiences in '77 were so much more rowdy than in previous years? I notice Plant had to do a lot more 'crowd control' -telling audiences to 'stand still, quit going whoosh whoosh whoosh' or giving them shit about firecrackers (though not with the same panache as Roger Waters LOL)- than before. Was it something in the water? Jimmy Carter's fault? What? Consider something like the first night in Chicago where Robert has to tell the audience to stop throwing firecrackers before the band even plays a note...or like in Louisville or New York where Jimmy Page was actually hit by things thrown from the audience...crazy!

I think, that from Earls Court to about Knebworth, many kids that listened to Zep and were fans were old enough to be at these shows; and many of these kids never saw them more than once - or none at all, they would be screaming their heads off.

cough cough...sorry, musta been something I smoked LOL!

So let's get back on track...why do any of you suppose the audiences in '77 were so much more rowdy than in previous years? I notice Plant had to do a lot more 'crowd control' -telling audiences to 'stand still, quit going whoosh whoosh whoosh' or giving them shit about firecrackers (though not with the same panache as Roger Waters LOL)- than before. Was it something in the water? Jimmy Carter's fault? What? Consider something like the first night in Chicago where Robert has to tell the audience to stop throwing firecrackers before the band even plays a note...or like in Louisville or New York where Jimmy Page was actually hit by things thrown from the audience...crazy!

Restlessness? Boredom? Being wasted and drunk? You have to remember that there was 2 years pent-up desire and emotion from the fans on the 77 tour. Then, there would be an hour or more wait at some of the shows...the tix stated a 7:30pm starting time but I defy you to find a concert that actually started on time.

I don't know...to me, the 77 audience didn't seem any more or less unruly and firecracker-prone than 1975 or even 1973. And though I wasn't there, if you listen to some of those 70-71 shows it seems the crowds were pretty rowdy and out of control then, too.

It was just the nature of the beast. Led Zeppelin was aggressive and intense and that's the type of people they attracted. A Zeppelin concert was a 3-hour assault on your mind and body...an all-out warping of your senses. It was no place for wimps or prudes.

• 2 weeks later...

It could also be that the audience was getting a bit younger. I was 14 when I saw them in '77 and was just getting into R&R. The series of concerts at MSG that year was a huge event in our Junior HS. ...so many of us were going to the shows. Zeppelin always was appealing to young people and in some ways that tour represented a changing of the guard. A new generation of younger and rowdier kids were going to the shows. Perhaps some of the older fans were now moving onto other bands and other parts of their lives and weren't going to concerts as much.

I will always be thankfull I saw them in 77. Physical Grafitti and Presence were both out and I knew I would get a good dose of both albums and the classics of old as well. If I had to do it again, I would not change the night I saw them.

He does it in Baton Rouge (1975) and Seattle (1977) too.

To be fair, some of those "shut up!" quips were probably directed at a band member(Plant and Bonham always seemed to have a running dialogue with each other thru the show) or a member of the crew or somebody offstage...Peter Grant perhaps.

For those that weren't there, it may be hard to imagine, but the "lads having good fun" atmosphere on stage at Led Zeppelin concerts was very high. This wasn't no Pink Floyd or Eagles misanthrope convention.

To be fair, some of those "shut up!" quips were probably directed at a band member(Plant and Bonham always seemed to have a running dialogue with each other thru the show) or a member of the crew or somebody offstage...Peter Grant perhaps.

For those that weren't there, it may be hard to imagine, but the "lads having good fun" atmosphere on stage at Led Zeppelin concerts was very high. This wasn't no Pink Floyd or Eagles misanthrope convention.

"So here you are, John, in your diamond studded- "SHIT CUNT!" "Shut up. Diamond-studded badgeholding time, it's John Bonham, Over the TOP-op-op-op-op-op-op-op-op-op-op-op-op!"

"So here you are, John, in your diamond studded- "SHIT CUNT!" "Shut up. Diamond-studded badgeholding time, it's John Bonham, Over the TOP-op-op-op-op-op-op-op-op-op-op-op-op!"

Less face reality HERE---THE 1977 ZEP CONCERT was BETTER THAN THE EAGLES & PINK FLOYD PUT TOGETHER IN 77. IT WASN'T EVEN CLOSE! I Do like the Eagles alot but in concert it could put you to sleep they were not showman. I much rather listen to them on HIP FM-STATION. Pink Floyd were worse due to Roger acting like A-DICK Although the show had good visuals the same thing really no EXCITEMENT AND I LIKE FLOYD TOO BUT WOULD RATHER LISTEN TO THEM ON RADIO OR ALBUM WITH Head phones!!!

There was one Band that did challenge THE MIGHTY ZEP & SOME OF YOU OLD TIMER'S WILL REMEMBER DURING THE 77-TOUR------"YES" BELEIVE IT OR NOT IT WAS TRUE!!!! ZEP DID 6 AT MSG--YES DID 4-SHOW'S I'M ONE OF THE BIGGEST ZEP-FAN'S OFFCOURSE THEY OUT ROCKED YES BUT YES WAS PRETTY MUCH NOTE FOR NOTE VERY FEW MISTAKES BUT WE KNOW THIS WAS MORE PROGRESSIVE AND NOT AS LOUD AS ZEP SO I WOULD SAY THE ZEP WERE #1 BUT YES SURPRISED ALOT OF FAN'S THEY WERE EXTREMELY GREAT MUSICIANS AND STEVE HOWE ACTUALLY KNOCKED JIMMY FROM THE NUMBER 1 GUITAR SLOT IN CIRCUS MAGAZINE. JIMMY would win it back until some DUDE EDDIE SHOWED UP 2-YRS LATER. JIMMY IS MY FAVORITE BUT STEVE HOWE IS INCREDIBLE AND VERY UNDERRATED.

I don't think Steve Howe is underrated; he's just not as popular as JP; but among guitarists, he's rated as highly as Jimmy (especially by anyone who was actually around in the 70's); remember, Howe won the Guitar Player Magazine award for "Best Overall Guitarist" 5 years in a row in the 70's. (I think Jimmy won Best Rock Guitarist twice). Howe's still around; I saw m 2 years ago with YES, playing better than ever. He can play virtuoso guitar in any style: ragtime; classical; pedal steel; rock. And don't forget , ASIA is still around, and he has played with them for years. Plus , he's put out a TON of solo albums, from spacey to Dylan covers...a Great Player all around.

I don't think Steve Howe is underrated; he's just not as popular as JP; but among guitarists, he's rated as highly as Jimmy (especially by anyone who was actually around in the 70's); remember, Howe won the Guitar Player Magazine award for "Best Overall Guitarist" 5 years in a row in the 70's. (I think Jimmy won Best Rock Guitarist twice). Howe's still around; I saw m 2 years ago with YES, playing better than ever. He can play virtuoso guitar in any style: ragtime; classical; pedal steel; rock. And don't forget , ASIA is still around, and he has played with them for years. Plus , he's put out a TON of solo albums, from spacey to Dylan covers...a Great Player all around.

UNDERRATED when you read all these guitar poll's of the last couple of years he should alway's place in the TOP-5 but you are right it is because he is not as popular. I've seen Steve almost as many times as i've seen Jimmy!

It could also be that the audience was getting a bit younger. I was 14 when I saw them in '77 and was just getting into R&R. The series of concerts at MSG that year was a huge event in our Junior HS. ...so many of us were going to the shows. Zeppelin always was appealing to young people and in some ways that tour represented a changing of the guard. A new generation of younger and rowdier kids were going to the shows. Perhaps some of the older fans were now moving onto other bands and other parts of their lives and weren't going to concerts as much.

ZACTLY ! '77 was the "next generation" of hippies. Truth be told, the drugs were of bad quality by then and that in combo with the young 14 ish crowd(brother & friends) that was trying to be like their older siblings(Me), and failing miserably I might add, led to the degredation of the R&R audiences. Liquor played a major part in that generation too, and everyone knows that that party crowd gets loose and rowdy, much more so than bunch of ganja tokein' music lovers. I was at Pontiac Silverdome for "77 and the band was just frustrated at the rowdiness. It was pandemonium !

the band was just frustrated at the rowdiness. It was pandemonium !

I don't think you'd find any of the rockers of those days -from Zeppelin to Pink Floyd to Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (whose 1974 reunion tour was the first major 'stadium tour')- having a lot of nice things to say about those massive stadium gigs. The crowds were just too big and hard to control. To their credit, IMO Zeppelin handled it better than most; they didn't throw onstage hissy fits like Roger Waters did or cut their acoustic sets short ala CSNY because they couldn't be heard over the crowd. Hell, even the Rolling Stones, who usually thrive on those massive stadium spectacles, had a few chaotic stadium performances in '75 (Memphis and Milwaukee come to mind, where the band had stop in midsong a few times to cool out the fights in the audience, in true Altamont style). Stadium tours are a matter of course nowadays but in the mid seventies the concept was still new, and there seemed to be a lot of teething troubles to work out. Add copious amounts of booze and drugs scarfed up by the audience and conflicts were inevitable. In retrospect it's amazing things weren't worse; by the time of the Who's 1979 Cincinatti disaster (which took place at an indoor arena) I reckon an incident of that nature was pretty much inevitable. Eleven people were trampled at that 'Oo gig; imagine the casualties had it taken place at an 80000 capacity stadium.

At the same time, what did some of these musicians expect? Sure, they were presented as rock concerts, but in reality they were like big parties with extremely famous house bands...did Roger Waters or David Crosby really think a bunch of hopped up fans were gonna sit down and shut up? Hell no! "Stop setting off firecrackers and shouting and screaming, I'm trying to sing a song!" rants didn't make a lick of difference and only served to make the musicians look like arrogant assholes.

On a slightly different note, does anyone know why Mike Millard was late to the show on June 23, 1977?

AFAIK he wasn't late. He was late on 12 March 1975 Long Beach because of a car accident. On 23 June 77 at The Forum he was there on time but accidentally left the pause button engaged on his recorder for the first four songs of the concert.

Also, as an FYI, there are so many drop-outs in his recording, the theory goes, because of how his portable Nakamichi recorder was laying in his bag/wheelchair setup: it was standing on end and it kept triggering the 400MHz test-tone button, which would momentarily mute the recording. Apparently Millard later fashioned a homemade plastic cover for the test-tone switch so it wouldn't accidentally trigger again.

AFAIK he wasn't late. He was late on 12 March 1975 Long Beach because of a car accident. On 23 June 77 at The Forum he was there on time but accidentally left the pause button engaged on his recorder for the first four songs of the concert.

Also, as an FYI, there are so many drop-outs in his recording, the theory goes, because of how his portable Nakamichi recorder was laying in his bag/wheelchair setup: it was standing on end and it kept triggering the 400MHz test-tone button, which would momentarily mute the recording. Apparently Millard later fashioned a homemade plastic cover for the test-tone switch so it wouldn't accidentally trigger again.

I'm not sure what AFAIK means, but thank you for that very informative answer! I've always been curious about that. Also, why didn't he go to the Forum on 6/22 or 6/26?

I'm not sure what AFAIK means, but thank you for that very informative answer! I've always been curious about that. Also, why didn't he go to the Forum on 6/22 or 6/26?

AFAIK means 'as far as I know'. I'm not sure anyone could answer your second question, maybe he simply didn't have enough money for tickets or wasn't able to get tickets for those shows? I wish he had recorded the 6/22 show though, one of the best shows of the tour in my humble opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I've warmed up to this tour more. I still don't like the random "Lounge Jam" section in No Quarter. TBH, I prefer the 1975 versions. I'm still really not a fan of Ten Years Gone but ALS, STH will always be some of my favorites from this tour. IMO, Achilles Last Stand was the best on the '77 tour. i posted that somewhere in another thread. I like the effects Jimmy uses (phaser and wah) and the placement of the song. Right before Stairway. They were the two Zepics of the tour. I think in 1979 and 1980, the song is still good but dry. Jimmy uses no effects and it's meh for me.

I've warmed up to this tour more. I still don't like the random "Lounge Jam" section in No Quarter. TBH, I prefer the 1975 versions. I'm still really not a fan of Ten Years Gone but ALS, STH will always be some of my favorites from this tour. IMO, Achilles Last Stand was the best on the '77 tour. i posted that somewhere in another thread. I like the effects Jimmy uses (phaser and wah) and the placement of the song. Right before Stairway. They were the two Zepics of the tour. I think in 1979 and 1980, the song is still good but dry. Jimmy uses no effects and it's meh for me.

The 1977 tour is the one for me. The body of work at this point was at its peak. (no offense to ITTOD and what possibly could have evolved)

At the summit, while the foundation was weakening.

The No Quarter jam is one of the strong points of the tour to me. I'll take that over an extended DAC any day.

However, if they could have slighted in time some of the individual showcasings, entended the concert a bit, maybe to add three additional songs... I would have loved the "Lemon Song" worked somewhere in the order of " NFBM" and " IMTOD"

"Candy Store Rock" or "Hots on For Nowhere", after "Sick Again".

I'll think of a third song.......

Then again, what the hell do I know?

The concert flowed in a hill and valley fashion. It started at the top, took one to the peaceful valley, then concluded with verve at the peak, just as we expected.

There are no comparisons in my mind.

Archived