Everything is a Remix - The song remains the same

rayban123

No it isn't insane to say that. It depends on your point of view, to me the opening guitar figure clearly came from that Taurus tune but the rest of Stairway obviously didn't.

Dazed and Confused and Bring It On Home though.....I mean, really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm going to add my voice to several previous and state how idiotic it is to say Stairway is ripped off. Anyone who can't hear the difference has a mental deficiency. Clearly Led Zeppelin did use portions of other people's songs. If you pay attention you will notice that the case for plagiarism isn't as clear cut as they want you to think. The LP sleeves didn't always give credit and rightfully so in some cases since lifting one or two phrases and creating a totally different song does not merit a writing credit. If you hear the guys in Zep talk you will often hear them mention a song they wrote and how it used another persons writing. Often they say it's in there as a tribute. Someone paying you tribute with two sentences does not mean you co-wrote the song. And not changed enough? Really? He clearly didn't listen to both versions of any of the songs he talked about, just copied something he read online or heard on youtube.

I think this video goes a long way to dispelling the myth that Zeppelin "stole" a riff from Spirit with Stairway to Heaven: The A minor arpeggio has been incorporated into songs for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOkWXJ2Qis

This is a great video. I actually heard one of the whiners from Spirit claiming Led Zeppelin ripped them off and they really wrote Stairway To Heaven (he didn't even say they lifted the opening tune though I'm sure that's what he meant, he just said he wrote Stairway). I wonder if he would get offended if someone accused him of ripping off one of the early songs on here?

There is a finite number of tones that can be produced, and a finite number of orders they can be played in.....so with that in mind, sure, everything is a "remix" of the same tones sometimes in the same order. The comparison video is very good at pointing out that the chord sequence is widely used. Since there also is a finite number of chords, with countless variations, there is going to be similarities.

It is ridiculous to say that songs like Bring it on Home, Black Mountain Side, and Dazed and Confused are zeppelin originals.

It is ridiculous to say that songs like Bring it on Home, Black Mountain Side, and Dazed and Confused are zeppelin originals.

Bring It On Home featured the beginning and end lyrics of another song as a tribute to Williams. The rest of the song is original. I don't thinks it's fair to call it a cover. I think you can make the argument against Black Mountain Side and Dazed And Confused (even though I might not necessarily agree) but Bring It On Home I feel definitely counts as a Zep original. That's just my opinion.

Archived