So mote it be.

zepps_apprentice

^ the saying comes from the Masons who used it as sort of an "Amen". Like Zoso1960 said, Crowley used it in his writing, so I think Page was just bringing in some of his Crowley fascination.

IIRC, it only appeared on 1st early pressing. It changed to "Do What Thou Wilt" on a later pressing. Then I think they just stopped putting it on the records altogether.

^ the saying comes from the Masons who used it as sort of an "Amen". Like Zoso1960 said, Crowley used it in his writing, so I think Page was just bringing in some of his Crowley fascination.

IIRC, it only appeared on 1st early pressing. It changed to "Do What Thou Wilt" on a later pressing. Then I think they just stopped putting it on the records altogether.

I also have an original with this inscription. would really like to get my hands on a copy of the "Do What Thou Wilt" pressing.

Yes, i'm feeling some envy over here as well :) That is very cool. I wish I would've known about rarities and value and all that when I was a young'un. I've seen some for sell for1K+, but who knows if they're reputable sellers. Just don't know enough about that stuff.

Not sure if I was correct in saying the phrase was changed to "Do What thou Wilt"...it may have been added to the other side after the first pressing. I'm sure the Zep experts could tell ya for certain.

I don't have a lot of records anymore...I miss them :( .

repeat after me

"So mote be it"

"So mote be it"

"So mote be it"

"So mote be it"

"So mote be it"

"So mote be it"

not "So mote it be"

And not to be confused with a "moat" which must surely have surrounded Page's English castles, brimming with alligators and piranhas. .

• 2 years later...

"So mote it be" is not the first pressing. I have the truest of first pressings, a white label promo, and it says "Do What the Wilt" on the run off of one side, and "So Mote Be It" on the other side (not "So Mote it Be"). There is nothing more first pressing than this, other than a test pressing or acetate. True first pressings have both inscriptions on them. Later copies have partial or no inscription on them; as new stampers were made, the inscriptions were changed (as noted above), dropped in part, and the in whole. In any case, the earliest commercially available copies aren't worth very much, even in excellent shape.

Let me know if you need pics.

Archived