Paul McCartney Posts Wedding Banns In London

kenog

He gave his occupation as 'business executive', rather than 'musician', or 'singer/songwriter', or 'living legend':huh:

Paul McCartney posts wedding banns in London

[url=http://www.reuters.com/]By Mike Collett-White | Reuters – 1 hour 42 minutes ago

LONDON (Reuters) - Former Beatle Paul McCartney posted wedding banns this week at Westminster Register Office in Marylebone, central London, the same venue where he married his first wife Linda over 40 years ago.

The banns allow McCartney to marry New York heiress Nancy Shevell any time 16 days after the September 14 posting at the Register office. It will be McCartney's third marriage.

Shevell, 51, who is divorced, and McCartney, 69, are believed to have begun dating after the Fab Four singer's bitter split with second wife, former model Heather Mills.

The banns list the couple as James Paul McCartney and Nancy Shevell. He gives his profession as "business executive" and his multi-millionaire future wife is listed simply as an "executive".

Alison Cathcart, Westminster City Council's registrar for almost 20 years who has married celebrities including Sylvester Stallone and Joan Collins, said: "I'm delighted that Paul and Nancy have chosen Marylebone Town Hall for their special day.

"I am honoured to be conducting the ceremony and will get to see the look of joy on both their faces when I declare them husband and wife.

"Lots of couples get married here because of the venue's reputation as a rock'n'roll place to tie the knot and this ceremony will certainly continue that legacy."

HAPPY MARRIAGE, BITTER DIVORCE

McCartney was happily married for 29 years to American photographer Linda Eastman until her death of breast cancer in 1998. He said at the time that he and Linda had spent just 11 nights apart during their marriage.

The couple tied the knot at the same register office on March 12, 1969, and were greeted by hundreds of fans who had waited outside to catch a glimpse of one of the most famous figures in pop.

McCartney's marriage to Mills was less happy. The couple wedded in 2002 in a lavish ceremony at Castle Leslie in Ireland estimated by celebrity magazines to have cost around $3.2 million (2 million pounds).

But four years later they confirmed they had separated, blaming media intrusion into their private lives, and in 2008 the couple divorced.

A judge had to rule on the size of the divorce settlement after the couple failed to reach an agreement themselves.

Mills was eventually awarded 24.3 million pounds, ending one of the most acrimonious breakups in showbusiness history.

Mills had sought five times as much and said McCartney was worth 800 million pounds. The judge ruled his fortune at the time was half that amount.

McCartney's partnership with John Lennon in The Beatles in 1960s Britain produced some of the most famous and enduring pop songs of the past 50 years.

The "Hey Jude" singer has five children. He has a son, two daughters and a stepdaughter from his marriage to Linda and a daughter from his union with Mills.

McCartney's spokesman declined to comment on his wedding plans when asked this week about press rumours of an impending ceremony.

(Reporting by Mike Collett-White, editing by Paul Casciato)

He gave his occupation as 'business executive', rather than 'musician', or 'singer/songwriter', or 'living legend':huh:

[url=http://www.reuters.com/]By Mike Collett-White | Reuters – 1 hour 42 minutes ago

LONDON (Reuters) - Former Beatle Paul McCartney posted wedding banns this week at Westminster Register Office in Marylebone, central London, the same venue where he married his first wife Linda over 40 years ago.

The banns allow McCartney to marry New York heiress Nancy Shevell any time 16 days after the September 14 posting at the Register office. It will be McCartney's third marriage.

Shevell, 51, who is divorced, and McCartney, 69, are believed to have begun dating after the Fab Four singer's bitter split with second wife, former model Heather Mills.

The banns list the couple as James Paul McCartney and Nancy Shevell. He gives his profession as "business executive" and his multi-millionaire future wife is listed simply as an "executive".

Alison Cathcart, Westminster City Council's registrar for almost 20 years who has married celebrities including Sylvester Stallone and Joan Collins, said: "I'm delighted that Paul and Nancy have chosen Marylebone Town Hall for their special day.

"I am honoured to be conducting the ceremony and will get to see the look of joy on both their faces when I declare them husband and wife.

"Lots of couples get married here because of the venue's reputation as a rock'n'roll place to tie the knot and this ceremony will certainly continue that legacy."

HAPPY MARRIAGE, BITTER DIVORCE

McCartney was happily married for 29 years to American photographer Linda Eastman until her death of breast cancer in 1998. He said at the time that he and Linda had spent just 11 nights apart during their marriage.

The couple tied the knot at the same register office on March 12, 1969, and were greeted by hundreds of fans who had waited outside to catch a glimpse of one of the most famous figures in pop.

McCartney's marriage to Mills was less happy. The couple wedded in 2002 in a lavish ceremony at Castle Leslie in Ireland estimated by celebrity magazines to have cost around $3.2 million (2 million pounds).

But four years later they confirmed they had separated, blaming media intrusion into their private lives, and in 2008 the couple divorced.

A judge had to rule on the size of the divorce settlement after the couple failed to reach an agreement themselves.

Mills was eventually awarded 24.3 million pounds, ending one of the most acrimonious breakups in showbusiness history.

Mills had sought five times as much and said McCartney was worth 800 million pounds. The judge ruled his fortune at the time was half that amount.

McCartney's partnership with John Lennon in The Beatles in 1960s Britain produced some of the most famous and enduring pop songs of the past 50 years.

The "Hey Jude" singer has five children. He has a son, two daughters and a stepdaughter from his marriage to Linda and a daughter from his union with Mills.

McCartney's spokesman declined to comment on his wedding plans when asked this week about press rumours of an impending ceremony.

(Reporting by Mike Collett-White, editing by Paul Casciato)

Love is in the air and all around, this fall. Everywhere from London, to Nashville, to Austin, and LA...... :D

I care...a lot actually. Thanks for posting this.

Hi imPLANTED,

Thanks for your kind comment :) . I posted this for anyone who likes McCartney, and might want to take their camera along, if they find out the date of the ceremony.

As a dumb American, can one of you erudite Brits please explain the term "banns"? Its etymology, pronounciation, and so forth? Even when I was in the UK, I never came across or heard the phrase "wedding banns", and I'm curious about this word.

As a dumb American, can one of you erudite Brits please explain the term "banns"? Its etymology, pronounciation, and so forth? Even when I was in the UK, I never came across or heard the phrase "wedding banns", and I'm curious about this word.

Hi Strider,

The reason you haven't come across the term "banns" is because the posting of banns is not required in the US. The word itself is pronounced exactly the same as you would say the singular "ban", just with an 's' on the end. I have copied below some material from Wikipedia and a wedding website. I think the historical reason for posting of banns in the UK is for anyone to object (perhaps the bridegroom's current wife - the one he forgot to divorce!) where they know there is a legal reason for the two parties not to wed. Hope this helps :)

From Wikipedia,

The banns of marriage, commonly known simply as the "banns" or "bans" are the public announcement in a Christian parish church of an impending marriage between two specified persons. It is commonly associated with the Church of England and with other denominations whose traditions are similar; the Roman Catholic Church abolished the requirement in 1983.

Civil Ceremony

Both of you must have lived in a registration district in England or Wales for at least seven days immediately before giving notice at the register office. If you both live in the same district, you should both attend your local register office together to give your notices of marriage. If you live in different registration districts then each of you will need to give notice separately in your respective district. After giving notice you must wait a further sixteen days before the marriage can take place, (for example, if notice is given on 1 July the marriage may take place on or after 17 July).

America

Banns or equivalent notice by publication is not required prior to marriage in most U.S. states, although most U.S. states require that a marriage license which establishes the freedom of the parties to marry be established prior to a valid marriage, often a certain number of days prior to the marriage ceremony. Such license is no more than a legal formality, as the license is not publicized in any significant way.

Oh Strider hush. smack.gif You are no dumb American. We don't have to worry about wedding banns in this country. We have seperation of church and state. Thanks Kenog for posting the info, I had no idea about it either.

I care...a lot actually. Thanks for posting this.

For so many reasons, I care a lot too. For my friends and me, before LZ there were The Beatles...before Jimmy Page, there was Paul McCartney (not a musical comparison, just as an object of our school girl crushes). I never met Paul but my older friends and cousins who met him during his Beatles years have always told me how cool and sweet and swoon-worthy-wonderful he was to them. :wub: I could never hear enough of their "Paul tales." During one of her forays into their hotel one of my cousins even managed to leave with the pillow case Paul used.

I hope Paul and Nancy have many years of love and happiness together.

P.S. When we married my husband and I had to have our wedding banns published (I still have a copy). His family is Catholic and banns were required by the cathedral at that time. I don't know if they still are so non-Catholic Americans might not be familiar with the term.

Hi:

Although I'm happy for Sir Paul..I don't know if I'd like to marry a guy in a place where he married his first wife...nah......just don't like that idea at all.....I hope he doesn't say Linda's name...

J :coffee:

PS I grew up in the Anglican church and "banns" is a term used in that church also...when I was a child I remember they were read for a few weeks during the service..I believe if anyone did not condone the marriage they were supposed to come forward...it was a very serious ritual...

Archived