Lou Reed & Metallica

The Pagemeister

that was interesting. on first listen for me, it seemed like friction between the speed of the spoken word and the music. almost like too much difference in the directions where the music and where the lyrics might be going. maybe that was just not knowing what to expect and not knowing about the idea of the project, i had just heard that lou reed and metallica were recording a record months ago. on second and third listen, the song moved better to me, you can hear at the end of the song how when it takes off, thats what your sort of expecting all along, for the song to rock...but for the purpose of spoken word like that, its cool how it sort of meanders in that heavy riff with the dark lyrics and vibe and all. cool sparing accents by metallica, rhthym changes and drums, and james hetfield adds another side to the track with his vocals, sort of completes the whole idea of lou reed and metallica together.

• 2 months later...

Sometimes collaborations work and sometimes not. In this case, it's a BIG - NOT!! Jesus Christ, that's one of the hardest things I've ever tried to listen to. Maybe the music, but not with Lou Reed talking over it...He's way up in the mix too, rambling on about some shit that makes no sense to me, and don't care to wanna know. I think it would have sounded much darker and intense if he had a little reverb or something on his voice and wasn't so dry and up front in the mix. There's no way of avoiding the lyrics. To me it sounds like a poetry reading with angry music to enforce the mood. Seriously, if this wasn't Lou Reed or Metallica, would you buy this????? I'm open to hearing anything new, and I've sorta been looking forward to hearing this because I thought the match up was interesting, but this "song" is terrible, no matter how I look or listen to it. That's my take on it...Others may really like it.

• 2 months later...

^Metallica is a top 20 favorite for me, and I like em' alot -I have some great memories growing up listening to them with all of my headbanger teenage buddies. Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, Justice...all great stuff for a Metal fan to indulge. But, honestly - the harsh reality is that no matter how much I like Metallica or appreciate Lou Reed's contribution to music-this album is beyond awful. The combo just does not work...that is, unless you like hearing someone who sounds like your grandfather "talk" over some nightmarish music while your trying to sleep. It's just too damn creepy, unlistenable, horrible, and totally out of sync and character with the caliber of the musicians involved. Ive heard better things on AM radio........or comin' out of my ass.

That's just me.

Archived