Guns N' Roses, the Cure, Red Hot Chili Peppers Nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Jahfin

From RollingStone.com:

Other nominees include Erik B. and Rakim, Joan Jett, The Small Faces/Faces, Beastie Boys and Donovan

By ANDY GREENE

main.jpg

Slash and Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses perform in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Jim Steinfeldt/Michael Ochs Archives/GettyImages

Nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s class of 2012 are in. Guns N’ Roses, the Cure, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Eric B. and Rakim, the Spinners, the Small Faces/Faces, Freddy King and Rufus with Chaka Khan are all hitting the ballot for the first time, while previous nominees Beastie Boys, Laura Nyro, War, Donovan and Red Hot Chili Peppers also made the cut. The top vote-getters will be inducted on April 14th, 2012 in Cleveland, Ohio, home to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

Artists that released their first single or album in 1986 or earlier were eligible for this year's ballot. "The 2012 Nominees embody the broad scope of what ‘rock & roll’ means,” said Joel Peresman, President and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. “From vocal groups to hip-hop, from singer-songwriters to hard rocking artists, this group represents the spirit of what we celebrate at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.”

Many bands – including the Talking Heads, Cream, the Police and Led Zeppelin – have put aside longstanding feuds to perform at the Rock and Hall Fall of Fame induction ceremony. If Guns N' Roses are inducted, the group's longtime fans will certainly be hoping for a reunion. "I have no idea how that's supposed to go," Slash said in a 2010 interview when asked about a Hall of Fame reunion. "If Axl, Duff, Izzy and myself start communicating, it could go one way. It we don't, God knows."

In a 2008 fan forum interview, Axl Rose was asked about the possibility of a Guns N' Roses reunion at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. "Never thought about that," he wrote. "Not to offend anyone but personally I don’t have an interest and other than inducting Elton don’t quite get what it is exactly and who decides what. It seems to mean more to some than others and more so amongst fans. It’s nice to get recognition and have some form of acceptance but in regards to joining others the price is too high and just not worth it. It’s a ways away and seems a bit presumptuous to be contemplating being inducted now."

The Cure, Spinners, Faces, Freddie King, War and Beastie Boys is my first reaction on who should get in...have to give more thought about the others. My first instinct is a "No". RHCP and Donovan: maybe?

Oh, and you gotta love Rollng Stone's typical bullshit: "Many bands – including the Talking Heads, Cream, the Police and Led Zeppelin – have put aside longstanding feuds to perform at the Rock and Hall Fall of Fame induction ceremony." I would hardly classify what Led Zeppelin was going through as a FEUD.

Hi all,

10 years of eligibility and no Rush? :blink:

KB

I totally agree about Rush, but what about Steppenwolf or Grand Funk or The Guess Who? The beastie boys, you have got to be kidding me. They don't deserve to be in the freaking parking lot of the RRHOF!

Many bands – including the Talking Heads, Cream, the Police and Led Zeppelin – have put aside longstanding feuds to perform at the Rock and Hall Fall of Fame induction ceremony. If Guns N' Roses are inducted, the group's longtime fans will certainly be hoping for a reunion.

Axl has been joined onstage by Izzy & Duff through the years but he and Slash haven't spoken a word to one another since 1996. I'd be pleasantly surprised if more than these three original members - Duff, Steven & Slash - perform together.

I totally agree about Rush, but what about Steppenwolf or Grand Funk or The Guess Who? The beastie boys, you have got to be kidding me. They don't deserve to be in the freaking parking lot of the RRHOF!

Rush, Maiden and Ozzy are the biggest overcites, imo.

I'm happy to see Ann and Nancy Wilson (Heart) listed and delighted to see one of my new fave groups, The Cure included as well.

Here's my question, if anyone happens to know here. What does the R & R HOF have against prog bands?

These bands below have not been inducted yet, but take a look at their worldwide sales of records/albums......*

1. YES >> Over 50 million albums sold worldwide.

2. The Moody Blues >> Over 70 million albums sold worldwide.

3.Jethro Tull >> Over 60 million albums sold worldwide.

4. ELO >> Over 50 million records sold worldwide.

These bands all have a unique sound that had an impact in the day as evidenced by their sales numbers.

Progressive Rock is still Rock, just as the Alternative Rock is which seems to get inducted with no problem.

Perhaps I'm not aware of the criteria, but any and/or all of the above are more than worthy imo. ......missy

*source: wiki

I am very cynical of the Hall of Fame. First off, why the hell is it in Cleveland?!! Who gives a flying f*ck about going to Cleveland?!! Second, who decides who gets into the Hall of Fame? Is it really that important for a band to be inducted? Would a band be any less respected if they were not included? It is such an establishment, a "club" , a clique and for me, that is anti-rock n roll. angry.gif

I am very cynical of the Hall of Fame. First off, why the hell is it in Cleveland?!! Who gives a flying f*ck about going to Cleveland?!! Second, who decides who gets into the Hall of Fame? Is it really that important for a band to be inducted? Would a band be any less respected if they were not included? It is such an establishment, a "club" , a clique and for me, that is anti-rock n roll. angry.gif

Rock history aside, the main reason it's in Cleveland is because of $$$.

When the founders of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation were searching for a physical home for the HOF, Cleveland won a national poll conducted by USA Today, largely through the vociferous support of Cleveland rock & roll fans. Although Cleveland's willingness to raise the public funds (over $135 million in 2010 dollars) necessary to build and support the HOF and Museum largely tipped the decision Cleveland's way, without the Cleveland public's strong enthusiasm for the project, the substantial public funds needed for the project would not have been available. The state of Ohio also kicked in about $40 million.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation is responsible for inductions, and that process is explained here: http://rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process/

Most musicians seem to appreciate the media exposure and back catalog sales that are generated by the annual induction ceremonies.

I'm happy to see Ann and Nancy Wilson (Heart) listed and delighted to see one of my new fave groups, The Cure included as well.

Here's my question, if anyone happens to know here. What does the R & R HOF have against prog bands?

These bands below have not been inducted yet, but take a look at their worldwide sales of records/albums......*

1. YES >> Over 50 million albums sold worldwide.

2. The Moody Blues >> Over 70 million albums sold worldwide.

3.Jethro Tull >> Over 60 million albums sold worldwide.

4. ELO >> Over 50 million records sold worldwide.

These bands all have a unique sound that had an impact in the day as evidenced by their sales numbers.

Progressive Rock is still Rock, just as the Alternative Rock is which seems to get inducted with no problem.

Perhaps I'm not aware of the criteria, but any and/or all of the above are more than worthy imo. ......missy

*source: wiki

I'd say Jann Wenner and whoever is on the induction committee have an obvious bias towards some "Classic Rock" artists, which would includes the ones you mention as well as Rush, Deep Purple and others. They need to set their bias aside and recognize these bands for the influence they had on other artists. After all, influence is one of the primary criteria for induction into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. By the way, sales figures don't play a part in it at all (nor should they). If they did, bands like the Velvet Underground would have never been inducted.

I'd love to see the Beastie Boys get in, as a "fuck you" to everyone who thinks rap isn't music and rappers/MCs can't be musicians, but Adam Horovitz said he doesn't want them to get in, because that means they'd basically have to hang it up at that point.....and that would suck, and I don't want it.

It would be great to see them get back on stage to perform, but if Yauch isn't healthy enough at that point, they wouldn't anyway, and there'd be no point. So, I'm happy they're up for nomination, but I'd rather see Heart, The Spinners, and Joan Jett get in if it meant the B-Boys would still be out there making music.

To give it up just because they were inducted is a pretty silly notion but I do think they deserve to be in. As I've said here many times, I have nothing against rap and I see where it plays a part in rock n' roll (as evidenced by bands like the Beastie Boys) but where do they draw the line when nominating rap/hip hop artists such as Run DMC, Eric B. & Rakim, etc.? They were definitely influential on a lot of rock n' roll artists, particularly the ones that went on (like the Beastie Boys and Rage Against the Machine) to successfully merge the two genres but to put decidedly non-rock n' roll artist into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame somehow doesn't seem fitting. Then again, putting Madonna in was something I didn't agree with either.

Axl has been joined onstage by Izzy & Duff through the years but he and Slash haven't spoken a word to one another since 1996. I'd be pleasantly surprised if more than these three original members - Duff, Steven & Slash - perform together.

I think Matt Sorum would join them instead of Steven

To give it up just because they were inducted is a pretty silly notion but I do think they deserve to be in. As I've said here many times, I have nothing against rap and I see where it plays a part in rock n' roll (as evidenced by bands like the Beastie Boys) but where do they draw the line when nominating rap/hip hop artists such as Run DMC, Eric B. & Rakim, etc.? They were definitely influential on a lot of rock n' roll artists, particularly the ones that went on (like the Beastie Boys and Rage Against the Machine) to successfully merge the two genres but to put decidedly non-rock n' roll artist into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame somehow doesn't seem fitting. Then again, putting Madonna in was something I didn't agree with either.

I think where he was coming from was more of a "We're in the RRHoF, that must mean our career is over", since most bands that get in, get in after they've stopped making music. There's exceptions to that of course, but there are few bands that are currently making music that have been around long enough to get in, that are in.

While I don't think the guys are going to be challenging anyone in Led Zeppelin to an instrument-off, they are very good anyway and deserve a fair amount more respect than they get. It probably wasn't easy to turn their backs on their snotty and obnoxious start, especially since it made them famous, but they've done a damn good distancing themselves from it while still being innovative. While I don't care for a lot of rap, I love them, and respect what they've done from Paul's Boutique forward.

The Beastie Boys originally started as a hardcore punk band so it would make sense that they were in there.

Archived