Guns N' Roses, the Cure, Red Hot Chili Peppers Nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Jahfin

I totally agree about Rush, but what about Steppenwolf or Grand Funk or The Guess Who? The beastie boys, you have got to be kidding me. They don't deserve to be in the freaking parking lot of the RRHOF!

Yes, they do. They have totally shown respect to many rock bands (esp. Zeppelin and the Beatles) by using choice samples in their music. PLUS, they do a whole set live where they play instrutments including guitar, bass, drums, etc. I'm a huge Beasties fan and I am glad they are getting in. Before Rush though, no way.

I'm happy to see Ann and Nancy Wilson (Heart) listed and delighted to see one of my new fave groups, The Cure included as well.

Here's my question, if anyone happens to know here. What does the R & R HOF have against prog bands?

These bands below have not been inducted yet, but take a look at their worldwide sales of records/albums......*

1. YES >> Over 50 million albums sold worldwide.

2. The Moody Blues >> Over 70 million albums sold worldwide.

3.Jethro Tull >> Over 60 million albums sold worldwide.

4. ELO >> Over 50 million records sold worldwide.

These bands all have a unique sound that had an impact in the day as evidenced by their sales numbers.

Progressive Rock is still Rock, just as the Alternative Rock is which seems to get inducted with no problem.

Perhaps I'm not aware of the criteria, but any and/or all of the above are more than worthy imo. ......missy

*source: wiki

Those 4 listed are big time omissions.. definately the 1st I think of getting hosed.

plus these 3

Rush

KISS - love em or hate them they had huge impact.

Deep Purple

others

Kraftwerk

Judas Priest

Sweet

ELP

It'd also be nice to see these late great lyricists recognized...

Jim Croce

Harry Chapin

Very happy for Joan Jett but I think I'd give the nod to The Runaways at the same time as the Blackhearts..

I think that's the best idea...

have Adler play on the stuff he recorded, Sorum on the stuff he recorded..

That would take some concessions between band members, which just isn't their style. I hope GnR do get in - that will be some kind of scene. You know Axl will have to show up, since it is HIS band. If any other original members come, it may get "tense". I know there have been some shows performed with Izzy and Duff, individually, but with all of them together in one place it should get wild. Then throw in Gilby Clarke, who has sued the band.....backstage may be more rockin' than a trailer park on a Saturday night - at the beginning of the month! ;):P

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.detroitne...ue-nod-Miracles

February 9, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Rock Hall gives overdue nod to the Miracles

• By Susan Whitall

After 25 years on the outside looking in, the Miracles will join lead singer Smokey Robinson in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this spring.

The Rock Hall announced Thursday that it is inducting the Miracles and five other groups into the Hall of Fame April 14 in Cleveland. They weren't the only group that had been left out when their lead singer was honored; others included Buddy Holly's Crickets and Hank Ballard's Midnighters.

The Rock Hall convened a special committee that over the last few months discussed how to resolve the problem and decide which groups should be recognized.

As a result, the Miracles (Smokey Robinson), the Blue Caps (Gene Vincent), the Comets (Bill Haley), the Crickets (Buddy Holly), the Famous Flames (James Brown), and another Detroit group, the Midnighters (Hank Ballard), will be inducted as part of the class of 2012.

The Miracles going in are Warren "Pete" Moore, Claudette Rogers Robinson, Bobby Rogers, the late Marvin Tarplin (he died in September 2011) and the late Ronald White (he died in 1995).

The Miracles' Claudette Robinson was bubbling over with excitement Thursday. "Who knew that a little girl coming from the South, from Louisiana, moving to Michigan, would ever have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame," she said on the phone from her Los Angeles home. "Then to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? It's the ultimate. You feel like you've really and truly accomplished something."

Lead singer Smokey Robinson has been in the Rock Hall since 1987 as a "solo act," even though he was a Miracle when he hit with "Shop Around," "Ooo Baby Baby," "More Love" and many of his best-loved hits. And the Miracles' distinctive harmonies, with Claudette Robinson's high in the mix, were integral to those songs, giving the group an edge over the all-male combos. Bobby Rogers and Marv Tarplin's songwriting (and Tarplin's guitar sound) were also an essential element.

Hank Ballard and the Midnighters had a series of sizzling hits in the 1950s, some too hot for pop radio (such as "Work With Me, Annie"). They had an exciting live act, dancing energetically while performing their hits, "Let's Go Let's Go," "Finger-Poppin' Time," and the original version of "The Twist." The group wrote its own material, as well.

Set for induction as the Midnighters: Henry Booth, Cal Green, Arthur Porter, Lawson Smith, Charles Sutton, Norman Thrasher and Sonny Woods. All but Cal Green grew up in Detroit. Thrasher grew up in the north end, met Hank Ballard when he was with the Royals, and still lives in Detroit.

"I'm very, very excited," Thrasher said Thursday. "To have your name go down in history along with all the other great people! I'm looking forward to going there and being a part of the whole festivities."

He's trying to track down the Midnighters' Sutton, who also lives in Detroit but moved from his last known address.

Growing up in Detroit as Claudette Rogers, Robinson was a keen student, graduating at 15 from Detroit's High School of Commerce (next to Cass Tech) with a college prep and commercial business focus. After her brother Emerson ("Sonny") left Smokey's earlier singing group, the Matadors, Claudette took his place. At that point, they were called the Miracles — it seems that Berry Gordy Jr. felt "Matadors" was too masculine a name for a group that included a girl.

Claudette and Smokey married in 1959. She stopped touring with the Miracles in the mid-'60s to concentrate upon having a family — they later had two children — then the couple divorced in the 1980s.

Along with the joy over the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame honor, Robinson felt a tinge of melancholy. "As excited as I am and as great as I feel, I'm sad that Ronnie (White) is not here. And then Bobby (Rogers) is having health issues, he's trying, but he may not be able to come. If it had happened much sooner, we all could have been up there and dancing. But everything in its own time. I feel very blessed and extremely honored."

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame CEO Terry Stewart called both Thrasher and Robinson personally to inform them of the honor and apologize for the previous oversight.

"He said he got 900 emails a day saying 'Why aren't the Miracles in the Hall of Fame,'" Robinson said, laughing. "900? Well, maybe he was exaggerating!"

Smokey also wanted his group in. "He says he's been trying to get us in for the last 15 years," Robinson said. "So everyone's been trying — the good thing is, now it's happened. And now we'll be able to see it! Bobby (Rogers') dream was to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I pray that maybe, just maybe he'll be able to come."

In explaining why it was important to recognize the six groups, Joel Peresman, president and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation said, in a statement: "These Inductees are pioneers in the development of the music we call rock and roll. As part of our mission to recognize the most impactful, innovative and influential artists in rock, the committee brought forth these six groups that belong in the Hall of Fame."

The six groups will be inducted April 14 in Cleveland alongside the previously announced Beastie Boys, Donovan, Guns N' Roses, Laura Nyro, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Small Faces/The Faces, Freddie King, Don Kirshner, Cosimo Matassa, Tom Dowd and Glyn Johns.

If Thrasher gets to sing, what Midnighters classic would he pick?

The R&B veteran started singing (the 1960 smash): "There's a thrill upon the hill, let's go let's go let's go…Put on your pretty red dress, let's go see about this mess/that's it baby let's git/we're going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!"

The 27th annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony takes place April 14, with tickets available to the general public. It will be telecast in May on HBO, on a date to be announced.

swhitall@detnews.com

(313) 222-2156

• 2 months later...

Well, that's good and it's bad. Would've been nice to see an implosion between Axl and his former mates, but I'm glad that the sane members get to enjoy the evening and now some good music can be played together by them. Wonder who will fill in on vocals?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived