TSRTS visuals

ledzepfilm

years ago there was written in a bad mag that the band was filmed again in a studio lateron because the original filmed live material was to bad.is this true?

Yes this is true.

I disagree with the word "bad" though. I don't think that any of the MSG's three performances at the end of July 1973 were bad. On the opposite I think they were quite excellent. It's just that the film crew was too stoned to get the job done properly. So they were gaps in the continuity of the live sequences that needed to be filled.

Anyway here are some pics from the 1974 sessions at Shepperton, one year after New-York.

197408sheppertonfilmstu.jpg197408sheppertonfilmstu.jpg197408sheppertonfilmstu.jpg197408sheppertonfilmstu.jpg

As a forty year plus fan, today I prefer to just listen to Zeppelin instead of watching them on video/dvd. They're forever stuck in the 1970's visually and the "fantasy sequences" in the film (to me) are literally unwatchable. It's just too cringe worthy.

IMHO.

years ago there was written in a bad mag that the band was filmed again in a studio lateron because the original filmed live material was to bad.is this true?

Everything you'd possibly ever want to know (and then some) about The Song Remains the Same (as well as the BBC Sessions, How the West Was Won and Led Zeppelin DVD) can be found here.

• 9 months later...

I have seen those photos. For me, TSRTS is an utter mess. HTWWW was way better. But the project I'm doing with the visuals is very successful.

I think the 3 MSG shows were mediocre, by Zep standards. Jimmy Page have also said "they were not magic nights".

This is the main reason why the band made the mock-up concert later at Shepperton.

After 1972 Page's playing level started decreasing.

cap176.png

cap177t.png

cap178.png

cap179.png

cap180.png

cap181.png

cap182.png

cap183.png

Quite interesting subject.

I've found myself some odd sequences while scrutinizing the film.

Just like these captures I have posted above.

It's during John Paul's fantasy sequence in "No Quarter".

We could see some sort of "colorised negatives" of a horse riding. Inside the legs of the horse, there's another film of a book burning in a fire.

Have you ever seen that ?

it is so easy to see the books that i thought your asking was a bit of a joke first.

but i guess i did not get these details too when i seeing the sequence the first times...

The message is also easy to explain as far as symbolismn is easy to explain at all.

The riding (moving/ changing in your life) destroys/transmutes older stories/ thoughts (manifested in books)

to bring new ones.

they made the "mock up concert" at shepperton because the film crew was either so wasted or just incredibly inept that even though they filmed 3 shows they managed to fuck up almost every shot they had

I'm a big Zeppelin fan but, in my opinion, it was not that the reason. If you hear the 3 nights MSG bootlegs will see the music from them is totaly different from that one from the movie, or album.

Jimmy Page himself said that doesn't see the TSRTS disc as a live album, but as a soundtrack.

I'm a big Zeppelin fan but, in my opinion, it was not that the reason. If you hear the 3 nights MSG bootlegs will see the music from them is totaly different from that one from the movie, or album.

Jimmy Page himself said that doesn't see the TSRTS disc as a live album, but as a soundtrack.

You may be a big Led Zeppelin fan but you're still wrong, and since beetleron is no longer here to defend himself, I refer you to the Rosetta Stone of The Song Remains the Same information.

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt.html

These are captures I've made today from the supposed backdrop screen projected during No Quarter as in the Irvine show 1995/10/03.

Many things to be seen on these images, but where are your Sprite bottlecaps, I can't see them ?

It's a singular Sprite bottle cap, not multiple, and it definitely appears on the backdrop screen during the audience-filmed bootleg of their March 27, 1995 Toronto Skydome concert. I'm positive about the show but not the song - it could have been during The Song Remains The Same. I'd watch the recording again but it's in long term storage at present. The backdrop effect used when it occurs

is similar to the Led Zeppelin III cover effect; a whirl of random images.

The message is also easy to explain as far as symbolismn is easy to explain at all.

The riding (moving/ changing in your life) destroys/transmutes older stories/ thoughts (manifested in books)

to bring new ones.

Yes, I pretty much agree with your explanation.

I really would be interested in reading an interview conducted with the members of the group in which the meaning of No Quarter's lyrics would be discussed more precisely, though. I can't remember having read about such a topic over the years.

What does this 1995 concert have to do with anything regarding the MSG visuals?

Not directly linked to the MSG visuals but to TSRTS fantasy sequences visuals, maybe THIS :

611228cap270.png

400762cap272.png

Can you see the hooded monks rowing a boat up the river on the two screencaps I've made before ? Doesn't it remind you of the hermit's wardrobe in Jimmy's Dazed & Confused TSRTS fantasy sequence ? Weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Strider is right. There were overdubbed tracks in the original film but everything else audio wise was pretty much all live from the 3 nights.

This is a subject (TSRTS movie) that always has created a lot of facisnation on me. And this because the guitar parts are not synchronized with the movie. And only the guitar parts.

I know Page has mimied them at Shepperton. However, I listened to all the bootlegs available from the 3 nights and the guitar solos are different! Why?! Because, in my opinion, Page's work on those nights at MSG were not good. He also said it: "They were not magic nights"

Also: The Garden Tapes are just a comparation between the lenght on the album/movie songs! The real garden tapes are just the bootlegs!

• 5 months later...

Old thread but here is a preview from a project I am doing. The point of the project is to find out where most of the TSRTS visuals go.

This five minute preview is from the 27th from the opening songs.

Enjoy!

EDIT: God dammit, Warner took the video down. Is there any other way I can share the preview?

• 1 month later...

Archived