Jimmy Page - Solid Ground 1991-05-29

I have read that there is a audio bootleg from this. Do you something know about this collaboration?

The Crystal Bay Club on Highway 28 in Crystal Bay, NV is not far from Incline Village, NV where Jimmy & David Coverdale were writing material for a new album. Jimmy got up to jam with Solid Ground one night. There's an excellent 80 minute audio recording in circulation (released as a bootleg titled Up In Smoke) but I've never seen any photos or video of the jam.

solid_ground_f.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

All these free download links are not available anymore.

If you search very hard, I'm sure you can find it. It's an ok performance with a lot of oldies performed (no Zep), but I felt Jimmy used way too much distortion. It got a bit annoying at times.

Interesting fact Steve. You have them listed by any chance?

Having double-checked and recounted...just 14 confirmed performances from '89 - '92:

November ?? 1989 Hen & Chickens, Oldbury, West Midlands

Surviving members of Led Zeppelin perform with Chris Blackwell and Phil Johnstone at Carmen Plant's 21st birthday party

January 10, 1990 Hammersmith Odeon, London

Music Therapy benefit; encore jam session with Bon Jovi on 'Good Golly Miss Molly', 'Train Kept A Rollin' & "With A Little Help From My Friends'

April 28, 1990 Heath Hotel, Bewdley

Page, Plant, Jones and Jason Bonham perform a set of five numbers during the wedding reception

June 30, 1990 Knebworth Park, Stevenage

Silver Clef Awards; jam session with Robert Plant during encore 'Wearing And Tearing', 'Misty Mountain Hop', and 'Rock And Roll'

August 18, 1990 Donnington Park, Castle Donnington

Monsters of Rock Festival; Aerosmith billed with Whitesnake and Poison / Page watches from wings...jams with Aerosmith during encore 'Train Kept A Rollin'

August 20, 1990 Marquee Club, London

Pre-encore jam with Aerosmith on 'Ain't Got You', 'Think About It', 'Red House' (brief power outage prior to Page solo) 'Immigrant Song', and 'Train Kept A Rollin'

March 23, 1991 China Club, New York, NY

Jammed with The Reputations

March 25, 1991 Fat Tuesday's, New York, NY

Jammed with Les Paul

May 14, 1991 University of Nevada - Lawlor Events Center, Reno, NV

Page and Coverdale jam with Poison during encore; 'Rock And Roll' (and possibly 'The Rover', and 'Stairway To Heaven')

May 29, 1991 Crystal Bay Club, Crystal Bay, NV

80 minute impromptu jam session with Solid Ground

November ?? 1991 The Yale Hotel, Vancouver B.C.

Page & Coverdale jam session which includes 'Dazed And Confused' at this rhythm and blues club

December 7 1991 86 St. Music Hall, Vancouver, BC

Jam session with Long John Baldry for 30-minute blues set including 'Got My Mojo Working' …he'd been hanging out and spoke with Baldry's guitarist Tony for about 15 mins

January 15, 1992 Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York, NY

The Yardbirds are inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame; Page participates in the jam session

February 13 or 14 1992 James L. Knight Center, Miami, FL

Jam session with Harry Connick Jr. during encore on blues improvisations; Page was introduced to Connick prior to concert and it was suggested at that time

Edited by SteveAJones

Having double-checked and recounted...just 14 confirmed performances from '89 - '92:

Surviving members of Led Zeppelin perform with Chris Blackwell and Phil Johnstone at Carmen Plant's 21st birthday party

Music Therapy benefit; encore jam session with Bon Jovi on 'Good Golly Miss Molly', 'Train Kept A Rollin' & "With A Little Help From My Friends'

Page, Plant, Jones and Jason Bonham perform a set of five numbers during the wedding reception

Silver Clef Awards; jam session with Robert Plant during encore 'Wearing And Tearing', 'Misty Mountain Hop', and 'Rock And Roll'

Monsters of Rock Festival; Aerosmith billed with Whitesnake and Poison / Page watches from wings...jams with Aerosmith during encore 'Train Kept A Rollin'

Pre-encore jam with Aerosmith on 'Ain't Got You', 'Think About It', 'Red House' (brief power outage prior to Page solo) 'Immigrant Song', and 'Train Kept A Rollin'

Jammed with Les Paul

Page and Coverdale jam with Poison during encore; 'Rock And Roll' (and possibly 'The Rover', and 'Stairway To Heaven')

Page & Coverdale jam session which includes 'Dazed And Confused' at this rhythm and blues club

Jam session with Long John Baldry for 30-minute blues set including 'Got My Mojo Working' …he'd been hanging out and spoke with Baldry's guitarist Tony for about 15 mins

The Yardbirds are inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame; Page participates in the jam session

Jam session with Harry Connick Jr. during encore on blues improvisations; Page was introduced to Connick prior to concert and it was suggested at that time

Nice work and thanks for posting.

Jammed with Les Paul

Your knowledge is astounding thanks for the post B)

• 8 months later...

http://renebestguitarist.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/jimmy-page-and-solid-groundmay-29-1991.html

Jimmy Page and Solid Ground / May 29, 1991

solid_ground_f.jpg

A band I played in “Solid Ground” played with Jimmy Page at the Crystal Bay Club on May 29, 1991, Funny things happen when you're packing to move; you find a lot of the stuff you thought you lost. Last night after all these years I found part of a recording of the night Jimmy Page played with Solid Ground. I hope to find the rest of the recording. We did have pictures of the show but the keyboardist for the band ripped them off. He also is the one the band suspects boot legged the recording of the show against Jimmy’s wishes, after he specifically told the band that night not to do it. I want Jimmy to know the rest of the band had nothing to do with the boot legged recordings.

Bill Glahn reviewed the recording on his blog in March 1993. He was tough on the band, Thank God he liked my singing "The male vocalist, a very good southern belter, is prone to calling Page “son.” I don't remember calling Jimmy son. It is a southern thing though, y'all know what I mean?

I don't know why the recording is titled "Up In Smoke". Funny thing is, that is what happened to our relationship with the keyboardist, totally burnt to ashes. Reminds me of another situation with a nasty ex band mate.

I do plan on posting these recordings of the show (Not for Profit) on my website. Jimmy was playing my guitar and Debbie McIntyre sang Hang On Sloopy and I sang the rest of the songs. Finding these recordings has led me to see what was out there on the internet about that night. I cannot believe the curiosity and information that has been posted. At the very least I want folks out there to know the story and give credit to where credit is due and mention all the band members who played on that recording with Jimmy Page. Well maybe not all, I will just ignore the damn keyboardist. I have worked with many musicians with pleasant and difficult dispositions. It is only the very worst of those that I refuse to have any association with, and refuse to recall anytime I spent with them, or mention them on my website www.renebest.net. That reminds me, I still have to write a disclosure about my website which I own and control all content, and the person who is spreading bogus lies, that "It's Not Really Rene's Website". In the mean time if anyone feels the need to know about the motives of the person behind the bogus complaints board comments you can cell me @ 775-378-7084

Edited by kenog

I REALLY want to hear this concert. Does no one have a link they can send me since I see none in the thread. Plus I couldn't find something online on my own to save my life.

• 4 weeks later...

I REALLY want to hear this concert. Does no one have a link they can send me since I see none in the thread. Plus I couldn't find something online on my own to save my life.

It's funny, but the fifth time I met Jimmy, in 1998 on the Page/Plant tour, I gave him a copy of this show on tape. CD-R's weren't that common then, and I included artwork and all the song titles. He looked genuinely shocked to get it. Don't know if he ever listened to it, though he said he would. I still have the tape around here somewhere. Jimmy's guitar is cranked up big time in the mix if memory serves, but it's a cool boot to have.

Did he play some awesome solos on it? :D

Nothing earth-shattering, but then again, he was playing with what I would call an average at best, house band. I've been in and around bands for over 30 years, so I think I'm qualified enough to say what is and what isn't a good local band. Jimmy certainly makes the songs better... but nothing like Zeppelin or Coverdale/Page. He's surrounded by mediocrity and it shows... not in his playing... but what is backing him up.

That said... still a fun and interesting boot to own.

• 5 years later...

Jeezo, that blog post above on the CD is full of bitter recriminations and almost puts me off listening to it.

Anyway, jams are jams, especially with house bands, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

I remembering listening to Page's jam with Jaco Pastorius and the one he did at Phil Carson's nigthclub with Jason Bonham, and both were underwhelming.

Edited by Boleskinner

20 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Didn't realize that there was an extended recording of this in existence that's going to be seeing the light of day through Japanese bootleg label Wardour. Wonder how much more will be on it.

DIELUymXUAEf0pg.jpg.fa13bfc9b9c1d4d07d8b9cd6c1ffbb12.jpg

Here you go...............Can't remember where I grabbed it from (Dime/TTD/Y/Zomb ?)

Here' another JP rarity from the whotrader archives. According to the thread I read, Jimmy was in the area for Coverdale / Page rehearsals and joined in for some fun at the local bar. There is a little hiss, but otherwise a very nice sounding recording (although Jimmy is a little low in the mix) - check the sample

***** 44 khz / 16 bit version ***** (CD Version)

Jimmy Page with the Solid Ground Band
May 29, 1991 (1991-05-29)
Crystal Bay Club
Crystal Bay (Lake Tahoe), Nevada
USA

01.[01:37] Introduction
02.[12:02] Spider in Your Web
03.[02:42] banter
04.[10:21] Steamroller
05.[07:52] Johnny B Goode
06.[06:23] Hound Dog > Blue Suede Shoes
07.[07:04] Smokin' Again