No Danelectro during Kashmir

On 2/17/2017 at 12:39 PM, ThreeSticks said:

I also never understood why Jimmy had to play the double neck for TSRTS and The Rain Song. Jimmy could've just played a regular 12 string for TSRSS. When the song finished, just hand him a telecaster or whatever tuned to the original Rain Song tuning. There was enough time between both songs to switch guitars. Carrying that large double neck for twenty minutes of music is an utter pain. Those things are heavy. More importantly, you don't have to mess around when retuning guitars during an actual concert.

On 2/17/2017 at 1:44 PM, IpMan said:

Supposedly Jimmy used the double neck for TSRTS & RS so as to take advantage of the second neck working in sympathy with the played neck which gave a fuller sound. Personally, I would have done as you suggested (I am a guitar player) and switched off. I played a double neck once and absolutely hated the damn thing. Too heavy and cumbersome. The only song they played live which he actually needed the double neck for was STH.

I disagree. There absolutely was a reason for Jimmy using the double-neck for "The Song Remains the Same"/"Rain Song" (and for the other TSRTS combos).

No, ThreeSticks, there was not enough time between songs to switch guitars. The band wanted "The Song Remains the Same" and "Rain Song" to segue immediately in concert, almost as if it was one song.

If you recall that Jimmy's original intent for "TSRTS" was as an overture to "Rain Song" (it even briefly had the working title of "Overture" before becoming "The Campaign" and then "TSRTS"), then the reason for the quick segue on record and in concert makes even more sense. They wanted to make a dramatic impact and any delay in starting "Rain Song" after "TSRTS" would spoil the effect.

In concert, at the end of "TSRTS" Jimmy and Robert would be stage front in the lights, Robert on the right, Jimmy to the left in front of Bonzo's kick drum. As the song slid to its close, Jimmy would strum the final chords on the 12-string as Robert hit his final "Ahhhhhh". IMMEDIATELY the spotlights darkened and only Jimmy was bathed in a blue light as he struck the opening chords to "Rain Song" on the 6-string at center stage.

Now, if Jimmy had to switch guitars he would have to unplug and take off his 12-string while walking from center stage to the side of his amps where Raymond could hand him a guitar. Then he would have to plug in and make sure it was in tune and that the knobs were in the right setting while walking back to his mark where the blue lights would hit him. That would take a considerable amount of time...and ruin what the band was trying to achieve by playing the two songs back-to-back.

Plus, the double-neck had a nice bell-like tone that really chimed and worked well on both songs. It sounded great and looked cool as fuck.

On 7/11/2019 at 8:20 PM, The Danelectro said:

Isn’t it on loan to The Met exhibit?  

Im a huge fan of the Danelectro.  I was thrilled to see it make an appearance in “It Might Get Loud”. Planning to hit The Met exhibit in the next few weeks. 

Ordered my mug when I was in London!

EB5B93AF-AA54-469A-88A9-87E5ECB8D791.jpeg

Yes it is at the Met along with other cool Jimmy gear. A friend visited the exhibit in May and gave me a neat shirt with Jimmy's dragon design. A must-see if you are visiting New York City.

22 hours ago, Strider said:

I disagree. There absolutely was a reason for Jimmy using the double-neck for "The Song Remains the Same"/"Rain Song" (and for the other TSRTS combos).

No, ThreeSticks, there was not enough time between songs to switch guitars. The band wanted "The Song Remains the Same" and "Rain Song" to segue immediately in concert, almost as if it was one song.

If you recall that Jimmy's original intent for "TSRTS" was as an overture to "Rain Song" (it even briefly had the working title of "Overture" before becoming "The Campaign" and then "TSRTS"), then the reason for the quick segue on record and in concert makes even more sense. They wanted to make a dramatic impact and any delay in starting "Rain Song" after "TSRTS" would spoil the effect.

In concert, at the end of "TSRTS" Jimmy and Robert would be stage front in the lights, Robert on the right, Jimmy to the left in front of Bonzo's kick drum. As the song slid to its close, Jimmy would strum the final chords on the 12-string as Robert hit his final "Ahhhhhh". IMMEDIATELY the spotlights darkened and only Jimmy was bathed in a blue light as he struck the opening chords to "Rain Song" on the 6-string at center stage.

Now, if Jimmy had to switch guitars he would have to unplug and take off his 12-string while walking from center stage to the side of his amps where Raymond could hand him a guitar. Then he would have to plug in and make sure it was in tune and that the knobs were in the right setting while walking back to his mark where the blue lights would hit him. That would take a considerable amount of time...and ruin what the band was trying to achieve by playing the two songs back-to-back.

Plus, the double-neck had a nice bell-like tone that really chimed and worked well on both songs. It sounded great and looked cool as fuck.

Yes it is at the Met along with other cool Jimmy gear. A friend visited the exhibit in May and gave me a neat shirt with Jimmy's dragon design. A must-see if you are visiting New York City.

Not sure I agree with your assessment as Neal Schon used an acoustic mounted on a stand to pick the acoustic arpeggio opening to Wheel in the Sky and then immediately switched to his Les Paul for the remainder of the song. He did this live and it was seamless. Jimmy could quite easily have used the Vox 12 string for TSRTS and had Raymond slowly come up from behind Jimmy as he played the closing chord, they could have switched guitars in plenty of time to begin RS with time to spare. Robert's vocal coda on TSRTS was at least a good 5 seconds after Jimmy rang out the final chord and before the RS would begin. I figure it was a combination of him (Jimmy) liking the tone of the second, un-played neck vibrating in sympathy with the played 6-string neck which he could not get on just the six string alone. Plus, as you mentioned it was easier to just stick with the double neck for both songs. Then there is the visual affect of the double neck, so visibly stunning many rock guitarists would use one live just because it was so damn cool looking.

In the end who knows. Someone needs to ask Mr. Page damnit!

On 7/16/2019 at 12:29 AM, PeaceFrogYum said:

Not sure I agree with your assessment as Neal Schon used an acoustic mounted on a stand to pick the acoustic arpeggio opening to Wheel in the Sky and then immediately switched to his Les Paul for the remainder of the song. He did this live and it was seamless. Jimmy could quite easily have used the Vox 12 string for TSRTS and had Raymond slowly come up from behind Jimmy as he played the closing chord, they could have switched guitars in plenty of time to begin RS with time to spare. Robert's vocal coda on TSRTS was at least a good 5 seconds after Jimmy rang out the final chord and before the RS would begin. I figure it was a combination of him (Jimmy) liking the tone of the second, un-played neck vibrating in sympathy with the played 6-string neck which he could not get on just the six string alone. Plus, as you mentioned it was easier to just stick with the double neck for both songs. Then there is the visual affect of the double neck, so visibly stunning many rock guitarists would use one live just because it was so damn cool looking.

In the end who knows. Someone needs to ask Mr. Page damnit!

That’s what I’ve always heard when the topic of the double neck during TSRTS/RS. He liked the 12 string still putting out sound while playing the 6.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 1:28 AM, Strider said:

I went this weekend - WOW.  I may go back again before it ends - fortunately I’m only a 2 hour train ride from NYC. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Can you even have both on at once?

I can't imagine why not.  I've never played a double neck before, but that's what I've read Pagey say - he kept the 12 string on during Rain Song to get that extra effect.

• 3 years later...

Thank goodness he didn't use the Danelectro. While they are cool guitars I always felt they sound slightly out of tune. In a one guitar band they just dont have the heft needed to nail those songs. Fine as a texture in the studio or on say the JP/Crowes tour when you have others backing you up but as a one guitar used for such a monumental song the LP or a Gibson hollow body was by far the correct choice for any Danelectro songs. Kashmir could have easily turned into a train wreck. And its one of their heaviest and most memorable riffs.