Radio Interviews

fsmith9095

Would there be any interest from the fans here to hear a bunch of Led Zeppelin radio interviews?

Years ago,Steve Jones and I gathered and traded interviews of the band with the hope of capturing and chronicling the spoken words of Led Zeppelin.

If I recall correctly,back then,the intent was to gather every existing interview given by the band as a group and as individuals between 1969-1980.( My favorite being Robert with Wolfman Jack in LA 1973).

The project expanded to include post Zeppelin solo career interviews up to a 2007 JPJ radio interview to total an estimated 200+ interviews.

I've always thought a comprehensive documentary of the band as told through these interviews would make an excellent bonus companion to any future official release.However,I'm just as certain that getting the rights from the various sources would be difficult to say the least.

So maybe one day an enterprising bootlegger would release such a set.

The point is,I believe all the fans,old and new alike would love to hear the band speak of what was on their minds in 69 to 80.

How many fans here would be interesting in hearing a chronological aural history of Led Zeppelin?

As an aside,I am currently searching for an interview that Robert did for radio backstage in Seattle 1969.It came as a bonus track in a bootleg CD and I would live to add it to the collection.

As an aside,I am currently searching for an interview that Robert did for radio backstage in Seattle 1969.It came as a bonus track in a bootleg CD and I would live to add it to the collection.

If it's the one where Robert merely says "I like Poco and Moby Grape" I sent a copy to Nech about eight years ago (and then it appeared on bootlegs).

Good, long hour interview

He say's he likes Moby Grape in here..

The Seattle radio interview I'm thinking of starts with Plant saying "I like Poco and Moby Grape" then segues to Jimmy singing "do do a do do a do do do...aw, c'mon, thought we'd have a little jam session...do do a do do a do do do" then segues to a voice over stating "Would you please welcome back to Seattle - Led Zeppelin!" and canned applause. It's a radio promotional spot more so than an interview.

• Administrators

I first heard that Seattle '69 interview in the 80s, just the short clip. It's likely by Burl Barer for radio KOL, as he describes in his comment posted here:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/may-11-1969

Unfortunately, he hasn't located his recording so that short clip is all there seems to be at the moment.

Would there be any interest from the fans here to hear a bunch of Led Zeppelin radio interviews?

Years ago,Steve Jones and I gathered and traded interviews of the band with the hope of capturing and chronicling the spoken words of Led Zeppelin.

If I recall correctly,back then,the intent was to gather every existing interview given by the band as a group and as individuals between 1969-1980.( My favorite being Robert with Wolfman Jack in LA 1973).

The project expanded to include post Zeppelin solo career interviews up to a 2007 JPJ radio interview to total an estimated 200+ interviews.

I've always thought a comprehensive documentary of the band as told through these interviews would make an excellent bonus companion to any future official release.However,I'm just as certain that getting the rights from the various sources would be difficult to say the least.

So maybe one day an enterprising bootlegger would release such a set.

The point is,I believe all the fans,old and new alike would love to hear the band speak of what was on their minds in 69 to 80.

How many fans here would be interesting in hearing a chronological aural history of Led Zeppelin?

Hi Frank, yes, I would be interested in hearing a "chronological aural history of Led Zeppelin." The 1973 Wolfman Jack interview with Robert is a classic because that's just how it was - young girl fans, giggling and confused as Robert's innuendos flew over their head. Wasn't Bonzo in the studio with Robert, cracking up at the innuendos and the girls' responses?

I have audio copies of the 1977 Trouser Press/Schulps (sp) interviews with Jimmy Page but I've been trying to track down a copy of the interview that we remember Scott Muni doing with Jimmy during that same year. That one is infamous and legendary among my friends and me, partly because it highlighted how much Scottso (who introduced LZ during the first LZ concert I attended) respected and admired Jimmy and partly because, sadly, it gave us a glimpse of how Jimmy "stumbled" during those years. Thanks. ~MSG

Hi MSG,

The radio interview collection would be well received, I believe.

Its odd that it has not already been done in the past.

The Wolfman Jack/Robert interview is classic for the reasons you point out: the confusion, the innuendoes capture what I imagine the 70's with Led Zeppelin to be like.Its essential listening for any fan.

I'm not certain if Bonzo was present in the studio at the time or not.That's worth listening to again to hear if he was there.

The Muni / Page 77 is the first radio interview I'd heard that started this collection.

I will send you a link to download it if you like.

Hi MSG,

The radio interview collection would be well received, I believe.

Its odd that it has not already been done in the past.

The Wolfman Jack/Robert interview is classic for the reasons you point out: the confusion, the innuendoes capture what I imagine the 70's with Led Zeppelin to be like.Its essential listening for any fan.

I'm not certain if Bonzo was present in the studio at the time or not.That's worth listening to again to hear if he was there.

The Muni / Page 77 is the first radio interview I'd heard that started this collection.

I will send you a link to download it if you like.

Hi Frank,

Yes, thank you! I would love a link to the download! :) I agree that it is essential listening, especially for younger fans who would like a little insight into the interaction between the band members (in this case Robert and, maybe Bonzo) and their young fans. ~MSG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Here's a link to all of the interviews I currently have.

http://www.mediafire.../?v4iocldzxz686

Someone reported that a few of the files are corrupted. If this is the case,please let me know and I can upload uncorrupted versions.

Enjoy!

Frank

Wow! That is one great collection of interviews- when I get some time I definitely will be checking these out.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I first heard that Seattle '69 interview in the 80s, just the short clip. It's likely by Burl Barer for radio KOL, as he describes in his comment posted here:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/may-11-1969

Unfortunately, he hasn't located his recording so that short clip is all there seems to be at the moment.

Didn't this surface on Assemblage 2?

Archived