Dave Grohl tells it like it was (for him)

I don't think Dave G is that great. He dosen't swing and rock stars don't make the best techs. I think he's trying to kiss ass so he can try to sit in for a number if the tour widens in scope. If he ever plays drums for zep I will, I won't say.

If you had ANY chance at all to even tour with Zeppelin im sure you'd kiss some ass to get there.

Jay Zeus! Is there a sense of humour bypass on this thread or WHAT? What Grohl wrote is funny, reverent and cool. Many of the comments sound like some people have got their knickers WAY up their crack.

Thanks for the Grohl articles above. Like is Dave a Zep-nut or what? ;-)

He says a lotta stuff on them but this sums the whole thing up:

"A while ago I heard that Led Zeppelin were going to re-form - not just Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, but with John Paul Jones too. I'd had this crazy dream since I was a kid that I would play drums for Led Zeppelin, I really thought I could do it. I know every song back to front, inside out. Then I put on Houses Of The Holy and just sat there, thinking there was no way on earth that I could possibly do it. It would be ridiculous to even try. No one has come close to Bonham in the last 25 years."

Not even gonna pass an opinion of whether Dave should have or could have.

Jason is Zep's drummer because he is honoured to do it and they are honoured to have him do it. And the opinion on his ultimate suitability, from the fans, has been 'The muthafucka ROCKS!'

BRING THE NOISE!

Thanks for the Grohl articles above. Like is Dave a Zep-nut or what? ;-)

Yeah, and there's some funny shit in those articles...

Kashmir

Physical Graffiti, 1975

"Bonham knew when to step up and shine. I love the way he lays the snare in there. It's a straight backbeat throughout the song until he pulls off a signature kick-drum triplet. he's signing the cheque right there: 'Love, John Bonham'."

Signing the cheque, 'Love, John Bonham'...that's hilarious!

Dave Grohl is as huge a Zeppelin fan as anyone on this site, if not more.

Hardly.

Nothing personal against the man himself, but he's had some entitlement issues and an agenda in the past. Talking for years of becoming Led Zeppelin's drummer doesn't make it so, and it never will be.

Shows over. Go away?

Hardly.

Nothing personal against the man himself, but he's had some entitlement issues and an agenda in the past. Talking for years of becoming Led Zeppelin's drummer doesn't make it so, and it never will be.

Shows over. Go away?

I dont think he ever himself said he WOULD be drummer, he was just dreaming (like i would) that they might ask. Heck why are people slating him for dreaming of that? I bet everyone on this board would love to be involved (apart from crowd) someway or another?

Dave Grohl is as huge a Zeppelin fan as anyone on this site, if not more. And there's no one in the music biz who gives more props to Zeppelin for their contributions to music overall, and to his own career, than Grohl.

Here's just a sampling of articles where Grohl gives his thoughts on Zeppelin, and pays them nothing but huge respect. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't see how any Zeppelin fan can have a problem with a huge rock star getting on his knees and being as huge and humble a Zep fan as any of us...

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

Article 4

And a great interview where Grohl sits down and talks to Robert & Jimmy...

Grohl interviews Page/Plant

Thanks, those are great.

This quote says a lot:

Robert: Yeah, but it was out of your hands. It happened to us. The stature and the whole condition of our success, there was no charted passage then. Up until then, rock 'n' roll as entertainment had only gotten to a certain threshold, beyond which nobody knew. As it expanded for us, we were frightened to death. We didn't know what was going on at all. We didn't have anybody to look back and say, "Oh well, they must have had to go through this," because it kept getting bigger and bigger. And the media grew with it. The whole rock phenomena got bigger. The number of magazines that there are now compared to when we were going, as Jimmy was saying the other day, there must be three to four hundred percent more stuff. The Internet, TV, magazines and stuff. But there was nobody in front of us carrying a flag. So it did get out of hand, and we didn't know how to deal with it, either.

Seems to me they know how to deal with it now, these past few months have been a model of controlling media. And still the music kicks ass...

And some really on the money stuff too. Like:

"As a 17 -year-old kid raised playing punk-rock drums, I just fell in love with John Bonham's playing - his recklessness, his precision. There were times when he sounded to me like a punk-rock drummer. They were so out of control They were more out of control than a Dead Kennedys record."

I totally agree with this. Of course, back in the heyday of Punk, Zep were on a proscribed list along with Rick Wakeman. But I've always met older dudes who said NO to that and they were right. I didn't get into Zep until I was sampling some Bonzo bass-drums in the 90's and then listened to the rest of the record, like, LOUD. I was riffed up from right there as an antidote and complement to looped beats..

But I have always found that there are a group of records that get me wilded up in a particular way and most of them are punk records. But as Dave says, Zep are right in that same group of records. I guess I never listened to the lyrics (hell...if truth be told I know the riffs better than the song-titles and can never match them up). It;s just the noise and the mix of the noise and the energy of the mix of the noise...

And have to say that Dave Grohl and the Foos have become exemplary at getting some of that going for themselves. Rock on Dave!

Yeah, and there's some funny shit in those articles...

All I'll say is at least he didn't pursue an agenda to join them thru the media. Jimmy got

on well with Fred and enjoyed his company. That's really it and all that matters.

Not sure how Jimmy got on with Fred, he seems a bit of a dick to me. Telling Puddle of Mudd "Ill make you the next Nirvana" haha! What a laugh.

As for Grohl using the media, i couldnt be bothered to repeat what i've said a few times, but it bases around, Grohl = Zeppelin Fan/Normal Human, i would do the same.

Hey there are a lotta dicks who are fanboys to Zep (and a lot of them are on this board ;-)

And they're quite easy to identify. They've made less than 25 posts and spend their

time starting flame wars with the rest of the board. Great thing is they get weeded

out sooner rather than later.

And they're quite easy to identify. They've made less than 25 posts and spend their

time starting flame wars with the rest of the board. Great thing is they get weeded

out sooner rather than later.

Haha, its funny you voice your opinion to someone on the board, they disagree with it.. and suddenly your a dick..

Come on man, im just telling you what i think about it, if you disagree, great, makes it all the better to me, something to talk about, would be boring if we all thought the same.

But dont label me over my amount of posts, or especially by my first few.

Also FLAME WARS? Im just voicing my say dude, im not flaming anyone.

Hardly.

Shows over. Go away?

Hardly? Dude, check out these quotes from Grohl...

I think he will forever be the greatest drummer of all time. You have no idea how much he influenced me. I spent years in my bedroom -- literally fucking years -- listening to Bonham's drums and trying to emulate his swing or his behind-the-beat swagger or his speed or power. Not just memorizing what he did on those albums but getting myself into a place where I would have the same instinctual direction as he had. I have John Bonham tattoos all over my body -- on my wrists, my arms, my shoulders. I gave myself one when I was fifteen. It's the three circles that were his insignia on Zeppelin IV and on the front of his kick drum.

To me, Zeppelin were spiritually inspirational. I was going to Catholic school and questioning God, but I believed in Led Zeppelin. I wasn't really buying into this Christianity thing, but I had faith in Led Zeppelin as a spiritual entity. They showed me that human beings could channel this music somehow and that it was coming from somewhere. It wasn't coming from a songbook. It wasn't coming from a producer. It wasn't coming from an instructor. It was coming from somewhere else.

I believe Zeppelin will come back and prove themselves to once again be the greatest rock band of all time. It will happen. They'll find someone to play the drums and I'll be right there, front row at every goddamn show. Then I could finally die a happy man.

That last one is for you Steve, "they'll find someone to play drums, and I'll be there in the front row", not "I'm going to be playing drums".

The guy is covered in Zep tattoos, openly admits he basically owes his life to Zep, has Zep gold records and photos of the band hanging in his recording studio (which he wondered if he should take down when JPJ came to record with him, because he didn't want to look like a fanboy or make JPJ uncomfortable), and time after time, can be seen in rock magazines not promoting his own band or new record, but gushing about his favorite band. But he's "hardly" as big a fan as anyone on this site, eh? Sure thing.

Haha, its funny you voice your opinion to someone on the board, they disagree with it.. and suddenly your a dick..

Also FLAME WARS? Im just voicing my say dude, im not flaming anyone.

If you scroll up you'll see it is you who labeled other members of this board as fanboy dicks. Good luck to Dave Grohl. Good luck to you. Enjoy the thread. Enjoy the site.

I'm going to catch up on my hate mail now.

I don't see why everyone is jumping on his back. I'm a drummer...and I feel I could drum perfect to every Zeppelin song...does that make me a huge fan? Absolutely. Does it mean I'm dead serious for wanting the gig? Absolutely not. The guy is one of us when it comes to Zeppelin. Get off his nuts.

I really don't want this thread to turn into the old DG sucks vibe, however his new music is really boring and it bothers me everytime he mentions himself as the drummer for Zeppelin in the media. Doesent he seem a bit pop these days? I guess its just the whole poser thing that gets me. thanx for Zep not selling out and relagating the posers to sitting with the fans. Lets just keep DG in the audience

From ROSS HALFIN's website:

Dave Grohl tells it like it is...

Congratulate the boys for me. Hope they take this circus on the road. If there's an opening for drum tech, you know my number.

Dave

I'd rather be a Doorkeeper for Led Zeppelin..... than to dwell in the belly of mediocrity . . . :D

If you scroll up you'll see it is you who labeled other members of this board as fanboy dicks. Good luck to Dave Grohl. Good luck to you. Enjoy the thread. Enjoy the site.

I'm going to catch up on my hate mail now.

Right, i dont want to be rude to someone i dont know/havent got the chance to know.

So basically, please read it again.

People moan about Grohl wanting to drum for Zeppelin, what in gods name would they say about some dick like Fred Durst being a big fanboy?

And you'll basically see i called Fred Durst a dick, based on the fact i dont like him for other reasons, not that he's a fanboy of Zeppelin.

So i didnt call any users of this site dicks and didnt start any arguments, just stated my opinon.

That last one is for you Steve, "they'll find someone to play drums, and I'll be there in the front row", not "I'm going to be playing drums".

The guy is covered in Zep tattoos, openly admits he basically owes his life to Zep, has Zep gold records and photos of the band hanging in his recording studio (which he wondered if he should take down when JPJ came to record with him, because he didn't want to look like a fanboy or make JPJ uncomfortable), and time after time, can be seen in rock magazines not promoting his own band or new record, but gushing about his favorite band. But he's "hardly" as big a fan as anyone on this site, eh? Sure thing.

One comment in one magazine simply does not erase the deluge of dozens which preceeded it. He's smart enough to know by saying "Led Zeppelin" in his interviews

he'll get picked up in keyword searches. Ian Astbury is another recent example.

Look, the point of contention is not if he is a fan. The point of contention is your statement that he is a bigger fan than ANYONE on this board. In 22 years I have

never heard of Dave Grohl contributing anything directly to Led Zeppelin fandom

beyond quotes, dreams and some unremarkable music. Anyway, have a nice day.

One comment in one magazine simply does not erase the deluge of dozens which preceeded it. He's smart enough to know by saying "Led Zeppelin" in his interviews

he'll get picked up in keyword searches. Ian Astbury is another recent example.

Look, the point of contention is not if he is a fan. The point of contention is your statement that he is a bigger fan than ANYONE on this board. In 22 years I have

never heard of Dave Grohl contributing anything directly to Led Zeppelin fandom

beyond quotes, dreams and some unremarkable music. Anyway, have a nice day.

What more can you contribute to being a Zeppelin other than having the records, (gold ones too)?

Seeing them live?

Having JPJ playing on one of your albums?

Meeting/interviewing them quite a few times?

Learning to drum from listening to Bonham, stating them as an influence (most do)?

Im pretty sure everyone has the albums, and quite a few seen them live, even the last one, but..

..Grohl has had one of the Zep's play on his bands album, JPJ was on the side stage the other day when i was at the 02 Arena, hanging out with the Foo Fighters before and after, i mean he's a big fan, and he is definatly a big fan, im not saying BIGGER than anyone on here though, but he's definatly a big, lucky fan.

Archived