New Albums Being Released in 2012

Jahfin

• 3 weeks later...

GARY MOORE: 'Blues For Jimi' CD, DVD And Blu-Ray Due In September - July 12, 2012

Eagle Rock Entertainment has announced the September 25 release of the Gary Moore CD, DVD and Blu-ray title "Blues For Jimi".

This release captures a unique concert featuring Moore playing Jimi Hendrix tracks, including such classics as "Purple Haze", "Foxy Lady", "The Wind Cries Mary", "Hey Joe", "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and many more. Filmed at the London Hippodrome on October 25, 2007, it was part of the launch for the Jimi Hendrix "Live At Monterey" program.

At the end of the night, Gary was joined by Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox of THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE for three tracks. The full lineup for this show was Gary Moore (guitar, vocals); Dave Bronze (bass); Darrin Mooney (drums) with Billy Cox (bass on tracks 9-11, and also vocals on the first two of those) and Mitch Mitchell (drums on tracks 9-11).

Both Gary Moore and Mitch Mitchell have passed since this concert took place, which makes the recording of this incredible night so special. Gary Moore was one of the finest British guitarists of all time and is one of the few players who could pay homage to Jimi Hendrix's groundbreaking and truly distinctive guitar style. This is a stunning tribute from one master guitarist to another.

"Blues For Jimi" track listing:

01. Purple Haze

02. Manic Depression

03. Foxy Lady

04. The Wind Cries Mary

05. I Don't Live Today

06. My Angel

07. Angel

08. Fire

09. Red House

10. Stone Free

11. Hey Joe

12. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

moorejimi.jpg

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176651

406172_10151107570441412_1483011533_n.jpg

The original artwork for Destroyer. The newly remixed version (by original producer Bob Ezrin) comes out on August 21st. More on that here. And for anyone that may have missed the Bob Ezrin interview that aired on Sound Opinions last year, you can listen to that here.

Rolling Stone is streaming a track from the upcoming new Patterson Hood solo record, Heat Lightning Rumbles In the Distance, which is due for release on September 11th. You can listen to it here.

By John Lonsdale

Patterson Hood teamed up with friend Kelly Hogan for "Come Back Little Star," the lead single from the Drive-By Truckers frontman's solo album Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance.

"She began the lyrics as a song for our late, dear friend Vic Chesnutt, and I rewrote it with the intention of her recording it for her album," Hood tells Rolling Stone. "She ended up letting me put it on my album and it's a highlight to me."

Hood says he was thrilled to work with Hogan. "I've only done a little bit of co-writing, but I was crazy about our collaboration as I felt it took both of us places we hadn't gone. We recorded this one with Jay [Gonzalez] on grand piano and my dad on bass. [John] Neff's pedal steel does a call-and-response with our strings [Jacob Morris on cello and Scott Danbom on fiddle]. Hogan's gorgeous harmony took it all to the next level. It may be my favorite song I've ever recorded."

Hood is playing solo shows this summer, including dates with the Drive-By Truckers, and he will join Craig Finn and Will Johnson for a European tour in November. Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance hits stores on September 11th.

I heard the title track from it on the Outlaw Country channel on Sirius/XM the other day. Not bad as far as the post-crash stuff is concerned but it's still a far cry from anything done by the pre-crash version of the band. I do admire them for continuing to release new music (despite the fact that they're now down to one original member) but in concert the new material barely even gets played, they still rely on the music made popular by the pre-crash version of the band as that's what the fans are actually coming to hear. Back in the plus column, it's cool to see they're also releasing this album on vinyl:

skynyrdpackshot.jpg

....and, if you care to listen to it, here's the title track. Not sure why there's not an official version out there yet, especially considering the single itself has already been released to radio:

http://youtu.be/qGu2rTYCmbc

^ I think we all agree the pre-crash lineup was light years ahead of the any of the post crash lineups. And the new song sounds pretty good. Better than the last album imo. As a side note they just hired a new bassist who was the original bass player for the Black Crowes.

51%2BuaMubshL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Legendary guitarist Pat Travers, an influence on numerous musicians including Kirk Hammett of Metallica, proudly presents this electrifying new album of blues recordings featuring songs that date back to the 1920s!

Features full on classic rock production and heavy guitar versions of Blind Blake s Black Dog Blues, Blind Willie Johnson s Nobody s Fault But Mine, Son House s Death Letter plus more blues classics originally made famous by Bessie Smith, Tampa Red, Blind Lemon Jefferson, and more!

Liner notes written by Pat himself! --Official Press Release

Product Description

1. Black Dog Blues

2. Nobody's Fault But Mine

3. Back Water Blues

4. Meat Shakin' Woman

5. Easy Rider Blues

6. Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out

7. Bulldozer Blues

8. You Can't Get That Stuff No More

9. Dark Night Blues

10. Rock Island Blues

11. Jailhouse Blues

12. Death Letter

http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Fire-Pat-Travers/dp/B0088R9LDO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1343662851&sr=1-1&keywords=pat+travers

For the last couple of weeks I've been listening to the online morning stream of Philadelphia's WXPN.

Overall I like the music they've been playing, with some exceptions, plus they have been previewing new songs:

* 'Charmer' lead single from a new Aimée Mann album

* 'Reboot the Mission' first single from the Wallflowers CD due in October.

* 'Live and Die' from an upcoming Avett Brothers CD titled 'Carpenter'.

The Aimée Mann song is beautiful, with her distinctive voice and pensive lyrics, I'm looking forward to more of that album.

While I'm not that impressed by the Wallflowers' song, I think there comes a point when a person buys everything a band releases (whether good or bad) because the identification with the band, its lyrics, its musical style, the bond is strong enough that bands can rely on this core nucleus of fans.

As for the Avett Brothers they're having this song on very high rotation, on the occassions that I have tuned in to listen, coincidentally they play it, I've heard the song so much that I'm almost if not already tired of it. I googled the lyrics and turns out the song is called 'Live and Die' although I assumed it was titled 'You and I' because that's all they repeatedly sing in the chorus.

They also play various songs from the nineties. Recently I recognized a Son Volt song from Straightaways (I hardly recognise any Son Volt outside of Trace) and they played some R.E.M. from the same period, 'Daysleeper' I think.

In conclusion it's a good place to listen to a combination of old and new music and in between songs they talk the usual local-interest items like traffic and weather.

Archived