New Albums Being Released in 2012

Jahfin

41aMId3rxtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The vinyl version of the 25th Anniversary edition of Document is now up on Amazon and goes on sale as of September 25th. Hopefully, news of the deluxe edition on CD will be coming soon.

According to the experts at Murmurs.com the second disc of the deluxe edition of Document is the widely circulated Utrecht, Holland show from September 14th, 1987 (which was recorded for radio) minus "Superman", "Strange", "Funtime" and "Harpers" which are all covers. The flipside of the "Finest Worksong" single back in 1987 included the "Time After Time"/"Red Rain"/"So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry)" medley that was recorded at this concert. The bonus discs for the 25th anniversary editions of Murmur and Reckoning also included widely circulated shows that were recorded for radio that were also edited by removing the cover songs. I've never claimed to understand the legalities of the music business but I have to wonder if these covers have been cut for time so the entire show will fit on one disc or if it has to do with some sort of royalty agreement. If it's the latter, I really find that hard to make sense of since all of these songs have appeared on other official R.E.M. releases (save for "Harpers"), at least to my knowledge.

Here's the tracklist for disc two:

1. Finest Worksong

2. These Days

3. Lightnin Hopkins

4. Welcome To The Occupation

5. Driver 8

6. Feeling Gravitys Pull

7. I Believe

8. The One I Love

9. Exhuming McCarthy

10. Wolves, Lower

11. Fall On Me

12. Just A Touch

13. Oddfellows Local 151

14. Little America

15. Its the End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

16. Begin The Begin

17. Disturbance At The Heron House

18. Moral Kiosk

19. Life And How To Live It

20. So. Central Rain

Here's the latest via REMHQ on the Athens, GA Inside/Out reissue which will include the soundtrack (which has never been released on CD) as well as a DVD of the movie.

430271_10150982270297984_154744243_n.jpg

OMNIVORE RECORDINGS TO REISSUE ATHENS, GA-INSIDE/OUT CD/DVD THIS OCTOBER

When the documentary Athens, GA - Inside/Out was released in 1987, it provided a peek into the town that had turned the music world upside down by producing acts like R.E.M. and The B-52's. For those who didn't get to see this limited-release film in the theaters (or in clips on shows like MTV's 120 Minutes), a soundtrack LP filled with rare and unreleased music was also released to universal acclaim. Twenty-five years later, Omnivore Recordings will reissue this remarkable piece of music history on DVD and, for the first time, the soundtrack on CD - all in one package - on October 9. To make it even better, the newly remastered CD version contains five bonus tracks, including two previously unheard performances!

A mix of interviews and live shows, Athens, GA - Inside/Out is a love letter to not only the musicians, but the town of Athens, Georgia, as well. Bands like Pylon, Flat Duo Jets, Dreams So Real, Love Tractor, and more tell their stories and play their songs. R.E.M., The B-52's, and local "celebrities" like the Reverend Howard Finster (creator of album art for R.E.M. and Talking Heads) also reminisce. The film presents the town as a place where both creativity and personalities thrive. And, even though everyone wants to be the next big thing, the sense of camaraderie is clear - with every band being a fan of the other! DVD special features include an interview with the B-52's Kate Pierson and Cindy Wilson from 2003, a commentary track, and more.

The performances featured on the soundtrack CD were recorded solely for the film project, and have been a holy grail in the collector's circuit for the nearly 20 years that the original soundtrack LP has been out of print. A stunning remaster brings to them a clarity previously unheard. With the addition of five bonus recordings, the CD soundtrack is now even more of an event. The bonus tracks include songs featured in the film that were not on the original LP, as well as ones from the sessions that weren't included in either the film or the LP-including a newly found performance of Love Tractor's cover of The Rolling Stones' "Shattered" with R.E.M.'s Peter Buck on guitar!

Never looking or sounding this good, the Omnivore Recordings 25th Anniversary CD/DVD reissue collection of Athens, GA-Inside/Out is the ultimate document of the mid-1980s independent music scene.

Athens, GA-Inside/Out CD track listing:

The Squalls - Na Na Na Na

Flat Duo Jets - Crazy Hazy Kisses

R.E.M. - (All I've Got To Do Is) Dream

Love Tractor - Pretty

Kilkenny Cats - Nightfall

Time Toy - Window Sill

Pylon - Stop It

Time Toy - Hi

Bar-B-Q Killers - His And Hearse

Dreams So Real - Golden

R.E.M. - Swan Swan H

Flat Duo Jets - Jet Tone Boogie

The Squalls - Elephant Radio

Bonus Tracks:

Love Tractor - Search And Destroy

Kilkenny Cats - Room 101

Love Tractor - Got To Give It Up

Bar-B-Q Killers - Hunchback In The A.M.

Love Tractor and Peter Buck - Shattered

I heard the title track from it on the Outlaw Country channel on Sirius/XM the other day. Not bad as far as the post-crash stuff is concerned but it's still a far cry from anything done by the pre-crash version of the band. I do admire them for continuing to release new music (despite the fact that they're now down to one original member) but in concert the new material barely even gets played, they still rely on the music made popular by the pre-crash version of the band as that's what the fans are actually coming to hear. Back in the plus column, it's cool to see they're also releasing this album on vinyl:

skynyrdpackshot.jpg

....and, if you care to listen to it, here's the title track. Not sure why there's not an official version out there yet, especially considering the single itself has already been released to radio:

http://youtu.be/qGu2rTYCmbc

Been waiting on this one as You know I am a Skynyrd Fan

They were just here opening for the Allman Brothers Band in Raleigh. Santana was sharing the bill with them on the previous leg of the tour. With all due respect to the current version of Skynyrd (as well as their fans), I would have been much more inclined to catch that show if it had been the ABB/Santana here.

Hear Four Songs From Garth Hudson Presents

Chest Fever: A Canadian Tribute To The Band

By Evan Schlansky

jpeg.jpg

On October 2, Curve Records will release Garth Hudson Presents Chest Fever: A Canadian Tribute To The Band, featuring Band organist Garth Hudson performing alongside Canadian artists like Neil Young,The Sadies, Cowboy Junkies, Blue Rodeo, and Bruce Cockburn.

The album was produced by Hudson with engineer and co-producer Peter J. Moore (Cowboy Junkies, Lucinda Williams). The playlist represents Hudson’s favorite Band tracks to play. According to the press release, Chest Fever marks “the first time a Band project has been sanctioned and produced by a member of The Band.”

The song selection ranges from post-Robbie Robertson era Band tunes like “Move To Japan” to familiar favorites like “The Shape I’m In,” to Bob Dylan’s “Clothes Line Saga” from The Basement Tapes, which The Band performed on.

“It was very organic how the artists and songs matched up so perfectly,” says the 75-year-old Hudson. “I had aural visions of how each song could be enhanced by the talent of each artist… each voice, instrument, and spirit.

“These songs were among the most enjoyable to me while the Band was together because of the words, or the story, or humor… an example of all three is the reading of ‘Clothes Line Saga,’ written by Bob Dylan and sung by Margo Timmins with Cowboy Junkies,” says Hudson. “Each of these songs stands on its own, yet they mystically sequence together as a string of jewels.”

Listen to Neil Young and The Sadies cover “This Wheel’s On Fire,” and check out the full track listing below.

Love The Band as much as we do? Look for our September/October issue, featuring The Life and Legacy Of Levon Helm, The Best Songs Of The Band, and more, coming to news stands soon.

Due September 18th

51LNnTb0QsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Caitlin Rose "Lately I’ve Let Things Slide"

The Parson Red Head "Don’t Lose Your Grip on Love"

Robert Ellis "All Men Are Liars"

Amanda Shires "I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass"

Jeff the Brotherhood "Marie Provost"

Hayes Carll "(I’m Gonna Start) Living Again If It Kills Me"

Erin Enderlin "Lover Don’t Go"

The Unsinkable Boxer "When I Write the Book"

Colin Gilmore "You Make Me"

Chatham County Line "Heart of the City"

Lori McKenna "What’s Shakin’ on the Hill"

Griffin House "Cracking Up"

Ron Sexsmith "Where’s My Everything?"

Noisetrade.com is offering up a free sampler from Tift Merritt's upcoming new album Traveling Alone (due October 2nd).

Another Aerosmith tune from their new album Music From Another Dimension (due November 6th), "Lover Alot".

The Flatlanders (Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Joe Ely and Butch Hancock) performing "I Know You" from their new CD/DVD The Odessa Tapes (due August 28th)

Dwight Yoakam's "A Heart Like Mine", one of a couple tunes produced by Beck from his new album 3 Pears (due September 18th)

Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson from Wreck & Ruin (due September 7th).

New CD/DVD from Paul Simon which is due on September 18th. The trailer and album cover artwork are below, more info here.

paulsimoncd.jpg

http://youtu.be/xcnlT7NokrU

Not an album but Dan Baird and Homemade Sin have a live DVD coming out in September. If you're not familiar with Dan he was the frontman for the Georgia Satellites. Homemade Sin includes two former members of the Satellites, drummer Mauro Magellan and founding Satellites member, bassist Keith Christopher (Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Shaver, The Yayhoos). They're rounded out by lead guitarist Warner Hodges of Jason and the Scorchers. DVD artwork and tracklist below. Ordering info here.

viva280px.png

Well Enough Alone

I Dunno

Julie and Lucky

I Love You Period

Crooked Smile

Two For Tuesday > Proud Mary

Lil Bit

Lazy Monday

Railroad Steel

Damn Thing To Be Done

Another Chance

Younger Face

Don’t Pass Me By

Keep Your Hands To Yourself

Hard Days Night

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Sheila (Do Ya Wanna Dance)

Helpless

Another new Dylan track has surfaced, NPR is streaming "Duquesne Whistle", the first single from Tempest which comes out on September 11th.

New John Wesley Harding tune that will be available as a vinyl and digital single on October 16th. Yep Roc is also releasing his New Deal album on vinyl for the first time. More on that here.

51wA9eMrxFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cells by Teenage Fanclub

Learn To Fly by Foo Fighters

Bad Moon Rising by CCR

Ready For Love by Bad Company

Self Machine by I Blame Coco

Fruit Fly by Nada Surf

Closet by Pete Yorn

Sweet Is The Night by ELO

Do I Wait by Ryan Adams

Friend Of Mine by Liz Phair

My Wife by The Who