New Albums Being Released in 2012

Jahfin

Heart's Strange Euphoria box set which is due for release on June 5th. If you purchase it through Amazon you get a bonus EP called Heart Zeppish which includes their covers of "Going to California", "The Battle of Evermore", "What Is and What Should Never Be", "Immigrant Song" and "Misty Mountain Hop". More details on Strange Euphoria here.

B007U1FEPS.01._SCRM_.jpg

536141_10150700518874364_8888384363_7995452_459053994_n.jpg

More on this four track digital only EP from ZZ Top's Facebook page:

HERE'S WHAT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!.....Next Tuesday, June 5, will see the release of Texicali, a four track digital collection from ZZ Top that offers the first new studio recordings from “That Little Ol’ Band From Texas” in nine years. The four new songs, available from iTunes and all digital retail outlets, offer a preview of the group’s full-length album, as yet untitled, that will be released on American Recordings late this summer or early fall. Those purchasing the four songs will benefit from a pro-rated discount on the purchase of the full album when it is released. All four tracks will be previewed through an audio stream at Rollingstone.com for one day only, Monday, June 4.

These four tracks that comprise Texicali, like the forthcoming album, were co-produced by Rick Rubin and the band’s Billy F. Gibbons and include “I Gotsta Get Paid,” “Chartreuse,” “Over You” and “Consumption.” The first of these is heard in a just-launched campaign for the Jeremiah Weed line of malt beverages that has generated tremendous on-line buzz for the video (youtube.com/

jeremiahweed) that depicts Billy, Dusty Hill and Frank Beard performing -- to the delight and amazement of the patrons of a convenience store -- in a walk-in cooler. “I Gotsta Get Paid,” based on the underground 1990s rap song “25 Lighters,” is also heard on the soundtrack to the international box office hit Battleship. The title of the collection is a reference to the locations where the album was recorded. founding of ZZ Top more than 42 years ago and an acknowledgement that the band’s line-up has remained constant ever since.

“Based on the visibility of the ‘Gotsta Get Paid’ song, we decided to make available more of a taste of the album than just the one song,” said American’s Rubin. “That’s the beauty of the new digital landscape; we can put out what we want when we want, in the best service of the artist.”

Notes Gibbons, “We were itching to get some new music out before the full album release; making available these four tracks seems like a good way to accomplish that most expeditiously. Dusty, Frank and I are happy with what’s been accomplished in the studio so we figured we’d provide some hot and tasty ‘hors d’oeuvres’ before the main course is served this fall.”

The band embarks this week as the headliner for a six-week “Gang of Outlaws” tour that includes bills shared with 3 Doors Down and Gretchen Wilson. Thereafter, ZZ Top departs for Europe where they will be playing concert and festival dates in Russia, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, France, Switzerland and Norway in July. Additional North American dates are planned for August and September. All of this activity underscores the fact that ZZ Top continues as a vital force in music today, more than 42 years after its founding and with its ever-enduring line up totally intact.

Lynyrd Skynyrd will release Last of a Dyin' Breed on August 21st. From what I've read, Robert Kearns (Bottle Rockets, Cry of Love) is out as bass player and former Black Crowes member Johnny Colt is in.

ZZ Top premiere another new song today, "Chartreuse", which you can listen to here. So far, that's three out of four songs from their new digital only EP Texicali which they've debuted online. The EP goes on sale through digital outlets tomorrow.

You can also listen to the title track from Patti Smith's new album, Banga, which also comes out tomorrow. Here, Patti discusses her cover of Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush", which closes Banga.

And lets not forget the Beach Boys new release coming out tomorrow...

I haven't heard anything from it other than "That's Why God Made the Radio" which left me less than unimpressed. Have you heard any other cuts from it?

New Robyn Hitchcock from his upcoming new album File Under Pop which isn't due until next year. "Twitch for Sam Surfer" is the b-side to his current single "There Goes the Ice". Both tunes are available for free from his website as part of Robyn's ongoing Phantom 45's series.

547197_10150863344706431_41840467_n.jpg

Just saw this posted on Ryan's FB page with the caption "Live After Deaf. Friday. This will not be repressed." The consensus seems to be that it's a collection of acoustic performances from his recent tour but I've seen no official confirmation of that anywhere.

547197_10150863344706431_41840467_n.jpg

Just saw this posted on Ryan's FB page with the caption "Live After Deaf. Friday. This will not be repressed." The consensus seems to be that it's a collection of acoustic performances from his recent tour but I've seen no official confirmation of that anywhere.

For those that are interested, here's the lowdown on the box:

144 tracks of live acoustic Ryan spread across 15 vinyl discs…with a download card featuring all 144 tracks PLUS an additional 74 digital-only bonus tracks (yup, that’s a total of 218 tracks) all in a heavyweight cloth box. Super Duper limited numbers available ONLY at http://paxamrecords.com/ beginning 1:30 p.m. EST on Friday, June 15

Tift Merritt to release new record TRAVELING ALONE on Yep Roc Records – Out 10/2

Yep Roc Records is proud to add Tift Merritt as the newest addition to its label family. Tift’s new album and label debut Traveling Alone is due October 2. The album was recorded in Brooklyn with Tucker Martine (The Decemberists, My Morning Jacket, Spoon) and features a guest appearance by Andrew Bird and well as performances by Marc Ribot, Rob Burger (Lucinda Williams, Iron & Wine, Rufus Wainwright), John Convertino (Calexico), Eric Heywood (The Jayhawks, Son Volt, Alejandro Escovedo) and Merritt’s longtime collaborator Jay Brown.

From Tift:

I am awfully proud of and excited to announce this new record! We sure had a great time making it. To make a record that was raw & real & live off the floor – it was really a dream for me to do that with such an amazing cast. I’m also awfully excited to take it on home to Yep Roc. It feels like family to have this record cared for and coming to you from North Carolina. I can’t wait to get back out on the road with these new songs and my lovely musical family. I hope we see you soon out there.

Although it’s Tift’s first solo album with Yep Roc, she returns to the label after her first album appearance was released here in 1999. She joined the Two Dollar Pistols on its country duets album, the aptly titled The Two Dollar Pistols with Tift Merritt.

61Fa0xycPGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here's a link to an advance cut from the upcoming Fleetwood Mac tribute album called Just Tell Me That You Want Me. This cover of "Oh, Well" is performed by Billy Gibbons & Co. (Blake Mills and Matt Sweeney). Click here to listen. The album comes out on August 14th.

Archived