LORD SUTCH AND HEAVY FRIENDS – 1970

Why do critics call this one of the worst albums?

This is a very good album. I bought it because of the Page/Bonham connection, and still enjoyed it despite the fact that Sutch couldn't really sing and the lyrics were very silly. It's in fact a fun record, although the whole experience is set to music that most of the time sounds a hell of a lot like early Zeppelin. (In fact, Page might have 'thrown away' some really great riffs here that would have been fantastic for Zeppelin.)

Standout tracks: L-O-N-D-O-N, which is about the swinging London of the late '60s ("London's the place if you wanna see fashion, London's the place if you wanna see stars, London's the place with all the in clubs, London's the place and it's not too far!), Flashing Lights, Wailing Sounds, Thumping Beat (which are all songs Page and Bonham played on). I Love You is cool too - in fact, all the tracks are very good, if a little samey.

A big plus is that Page and Bonham really rock out on the tracks they're on (I think there's five or six) in a way that they actually didn't do much with Zeppelin, where in a way the whole thing was very controlled and a little self-indulgent.

What do you think?

P.S if you haven't heard it go listen it's such a great record!

lordsutch.jpg

now that you bring up this record, whats funny is that i remember all those songs without havent heard them in yrs. in fact i been meaning to post a couple of those songs in the thread about songs that make you laugh out loud. but yeah they are good.

Well the guy couldn't sing a lick and the tempo of the tunes never really varied and the whole album sounded rushed and a one off kinda thing. Sort of like "let's play on this guys album so he'll leave us alone when he sees us at the club".

Other than that, great record.

Archived