The Clash thread

Zeppelin Led

Your welcome dazedcat B) Come to think think about it, I was still 7 about to turn 8 when that episode first aired lol.

Zeppelin Led, it is. Blondie gets the credit for first merging hip-hop & rock/punk/new wave etc., but it was the Clash slightly before with The Magnificent Seven & This Is Radio Clash. The Clash had Grandmaster Flash open some of their Bonds shows in 1981. Mick Jones love of hip-hop led to the music on Combat Rock more than that they were looking to be more commercial. Jones carried that hip-hop influence onto his next band Big Audio Dynamite pretty much through out their career.

http://youtu.be/sjqSRQoxnhs

This is closer to a final word on the Clash than Cut The Crap is. This is Jones's post Clash band Big Audio Dynamite & their second album No. 10 Upping Street was co-produced & co-written by Jones & Strummer which this song is off of. From the opening lines of "Sodom & Gomorrah let the DJ play, cuz I'm only gone tomorrow & here today..." is typical Strummer.

http://youtu.be/2VzD63RvKrM

This song, tears always just well in my eyes when I hear it. "Ten thumbs up & smiling bright... I tell you the town looked good... thought about my babies grown, thought about going home... thought about what's done is done, we're alive and that's the one....". Absolute tears from me, the man still gets to me. God bless you John Mellor.

i dont see the clash ever selling out, although i am not keen on punk rock history. i heard a tom waits interview on npr the other day and he talked about taking apart his favorite music to find inspiration and that it was his curiousity of music that kept him going with interest...and not thinking he thought he mastered anything or thought he knew what it was about.

i remember buying the green day record after hearing so much about it, bought it at bleeker bobs in the village nyc and the punk rock girl at the cashier told me it was a great record. the last thing i saw in the palladium tv channel w greenday . all these years later,was them doing a huge festival show and how it had to be an event to compensate the loss of a small venue vibe...so thats where an artist can either live or die really....because its too big in a way. how does a band or artist balance that...i do not know.

but it makes me wonder how the clash would be handling it all today, because they could be as big as u2 is now as a touring band.

• 3 months later...

i dont see the clash ever selling out, although i am not keen on punk rock history. i heard a tom waits interview on npr the other day and he talked about taking apart his favorite music to find inspiration and that it was his curiousity of music that kept him going with interest...and not thinking he thought he mastered anything or thought he knew what it was about.

i remember buying the green day record after hearing so much about it, bought it at bleeker bobs in the village nyc and the punk rock girl at the cashier told me it was a great record. the last thing i saw in the palladium tv channel w greenday . all these years later,was them doing a huge festival show and how it had to be an event to compensate the loss of a small venue vibe...so thats where an artist can either live or die really....because its too big in a way. how does a band or artist balance that...i do not know.

but it makes me wonder how the clash would be handling it all today, because they could be as big as u2 is now as a touring band.

The Clash would never be here for a few reasons 1)Joe Strummer was born with a heart defect that could kill him any minute, its lucky he even got to 50.

2)Topper was a junkie and Joe hated that. 3)Joe and Mick 4)Bernie ''Cuntface'' Rhoads

• 7 years later...