In Through The Out Door

My opinion on ITTOD is that it's not a classic, timeless Zepp album like PG or the fourth album. But it is a good album. I only listen to it every so often, and every time I do, I really enjoy it.

Hallelujah!!! Someone who knows how to state an actual opinion :D . But you were never alone ZosoLuke, the majority who have posted here have done the same whether their opinion matches your own or doesn't.

Kaiser, unfortunately most threads result in these kind of arguments. There will always be someone or more than one who will yank your chain until it breaks. I have had that experince too- that has been laid to rest. You've probably been a member here as long-or longer than myself, so you know what to expect. I'm totally with you when it comes to defending the music you believe in. I'm the same way, but as long as noboby is downright disrespecting the things you defend, just leave it be. I should have taken my own advice recently, but I learn the hard way sometimes. I think the main problem here is not the opinions but the remarks and sarcastic comments that come with them, without asking a question first. Everyone thinks their own opinion is the one that matters most, so you can't change what people think, say or do. It's all in the upbringing. If the respect for one another ran a little deeper, it would be that much better of a place to visit. As for me, Im real big on respect and common courtesy-but only if I'm appraoched or questioned on a subject in the right manner.So just let it be brother-it will be an ongoing thing until it gets to the point of either being banned, deleted or just plain out pissed - over whether someone thinks Zeppelin is what you and I think (and know) they are......

Suggestion-

I'd like to hear someone's take (song by song) if you have the time-what you like or don't like about it. That may make it more interesting and explain more in detail your love/hate like or dislike with it as a whole piece. Maybe that would that be a more rational way of continuing the thread. Anyone?

How about this? If you don't like ITTOD, don't listen to it. If you do like it, listen to it. Don't try and convince the other group that they what they feel about the album is wrong. Accept that LZ made different kinds of music for different kinds of people, and be happy that they weren't a one-note group that did the same album eight times in a row.

Amen. Wait.., can't have a hallelujah & an amen in two posts back to back or I'll be unfairly stereotyped.... praise be science then. :bubble:

Kaiser, unfortunately most threads result in these kind of arguments. There will always be someone or more than one who will yank your chain until it breaks. I have had that experince too- that has been laid to rest. You've probably been a member here as long-or longer than myself, so you know what to expect. I'm totally with you when it comes to defending the music you believe in. I'm the same way, but as long as noboby is downright disrespecting the things you defend, just leave it be. I should have taken my own advice recently, but I learn the hard way sometimes. I think the main problem here is not the opinions but the remarks and sarcastic comments that come with them, without asking a question first. Everyone thinks their own opinion is the one that matters most, so you can't change what people think, say or do. It's all in the upbringing. If the respect for one another ran a little deeper, it would be that much better of a place to visit. As for me, Im real big on respect and common courtesy-but only if I'm appraoched or questioned on a subject in the right manner.So just let it be brother-it will be an ongoing thing until it gets to the point of either being banned, deleted or just plain out pissed - over whether someone thinks Zeppelin is what you and I think (and know) they are......

Suggestion-

I'd like to hear someone's take (song by song) if you have the time-what you like or don't like about it. That may make it more interesting and explain more in detail your love/hate like or dislike with it as a whole piece. Maybe that would that be a more rational way of continuing the thread. Anyone?

I joined the old forum 10 years ago & this one when it started under my old name. I'm not offended by their views on the music... I'm offended by their failure to grasp language, lol, or their on purpose misappropriation of language. I've dealt with every so called superfan under the sun here that will use any sort of shady tactic to justify what they think is the "right" view. I stopped posting here when I started getting stalked by a nutty superfan (then I had surgery which also tied me up) for over a year, thankfully that nuts gone or using another name. I knew full well when I started posting here again the enviorment I was getting back into lol. I stay away from threads I know are going to be a sh*tstorm based on the topic or if I have nothing positive to add. There's been many ITTOD discussions here & on the old board over the years, and most of the views are what you've seen here, a wide scope which is great. On this one in particular, well, return of the of a few superfans who always know what's best for & about the band in their idealized image of them, usually an enthusiastic younger fan or a simply deranged old timer. Myself, I'm just a fan lol. But thank you for looking out, I appreciate it, but I've swam these waters before & the sharks seem to always do themselves in eventually, the names always change but the superfan mentality will pop up in a new breed & so it goes. Also it's a good idea about dissecting each track, I'll get on that as well & thanks again.

I believe myself and others have touched on this previously but my viewpoint of In Through the Out Door is largely colored by how I felt about it when it first came out (I was floored and still am). It's highly informative to know about all the background info surrounding the making of the record but I knew nothing of that until I joined this forum. Our main source of information back in the day was AOR radio and the rock press. The most I ever read about Zeppelin after that was Hammer of the Gods. I had no idea about it at the time but that was also not presented to us by the most reliable of sources. I've learned tons more about Zeppelin thanks to this website than I ever knew before. For that, I am forever grateful.

I believe myself and others have touched on this previously but my viewpoint of In Through the Out Door is largely colored by how I felt about it when it first came out (I was floored and still am). It's highly informative to know about all the background info surrounding the making of record but I knew nothing of that until I joined this forum. Our main source of information back in the day was AOR radio and the rock press. The most I ever read about Zeppelin after that was Hammer of the Gods. I had no idea about it at the time but that was also not presented to us by the most reliable of sources. I've learned tons more about Zeppelin thanks to this website than I ever knew before. For that, I am forever grateful.

Yes, like you I had limited info about the making of any Zeppelin record unless read in a magazine. I also own a copy of Hammer of the Gods, and I believed alot of it, untl I realized years later that most of it was false statements and exaggerated stories. The book did paint the picture of their entire career being built around the whole "Jimmy Page curse" thing....It's been years since I've read it, but I remember it gave me that sort of vibe.

The KISS thing was serious, don't bother wasting your time dissecting each ITTOD track that would be boring, do Presence much more interesting. Oh wow Kaiser is a senior member of a forum we must bow down and accept anything he says.

No need for the widdle temper tantwum. You have potential to be a productive member of the forum... someday.

I loaned my copy of Hammer of the Gods out to a friend and never got it back. Despite all the misinformation in that book, I would still like to have a copy in my collection. Since it was a first printing in hardback I seriously doubt I'll ever be able to track down another copy. That also taught me a valuable lesson about loaning things out to folks, even if they're lifelong friends (as this person was and still is). I simply don't do it anymore, no matter how well I know the person. That tends to piss people off but I learned my lesson the hard way.

Promoting a crap album? Productivity is hardly your strong point.

The measures some people will take lol. It's been fun li'l shaver, now it's time for you to take a nap as you're cranky & it's time to let the adults continue speaking in adult terms, ok sugar plum . Sweet dreams...

Blah Blah, this song has too much keyboards. Blah blah, this song is too soft. Blah Blah, this album is their worst effort. Blah Blah Blah ad nauseum. It is all a matter of taste, PERIOD. I love every Zep album equally for their diversity and individuality, if you don't, so be it, that is your choice. In the end there really is no true critique of art, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I Love ITTOD!!! Rock on DaddyO!!!

I loaned my copy of Hammer of the Gods out to a friend and never got it back. Despite all the misinformation in that book, I would still like to have a copy in my collection. Since it was a first printing in hardback I seriously doubt I'll ever be able to track down another copy. That also taught me a valuable lesson about loaning things out to folks, even if they're lifelong friends (as this person was and still is). I simply don't do it anymore, no matter how well I know the person. That tends to piss people off but I learned my lesson the hard way.

I have a small paperback copy. I've had it since the early 90's. You should be able to find one of those at a decent price, but not sure it will be a hardback. I've seen em' on Amazon and Ebay for not much more than I paid for it years ago...may be even cheaper. I don't know how many Zep books you own, but I can give you a list of what I have that I think are good editions and an excellent read for info and pics if you are interested one day. Heaven and Hell is a good one and also The Concert Files.

Blah Blah, this song has too much keyboards. Blah blah, this song is too soft. Blah Blah, this album is their worst effort. Blah Blah Blah ad nauseum. It is all a matter of taste, PERIOD. I love every Zep album equally for their diversity and individuality, if you don't, so be it, that is your choice. In the end there really is no true critique of art, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I Love ITTOD!!! Rock on DaddyO!!!

:goodpost:

That's outrageous!!! But fans & critics wrote articles stating otherwise!

Glad to see yet another Led Zeppelin fan like myself whose opinion doesn't warrant realistic merit. Rock on Mama!!! :toast:

I have a small paperback copy. I've had it since the early 90's. You should be able to find one of those at a decent price, but not sure it will be a hardback. I've seen em' on Amazon and Ebay for not much more than I paid for it years ago...may be even cheaper. I don't know how many Zep books you own, but I can give you a list of what I have that I think are good editions and an excellent read for info and pics if you are interested one day. Heaven and Hell is a good one and also The Concert Files.

I've glanced through the updated paperback editions of Hammer of the Gods long enough to read the updated portion. I would prefer to own another copy of the hardback edition but at this point, I guess any edition would do. I've also glanced through a number of the other Zeppelin books through the years but the only other ones I've purchased are Shadows Taller Than Our Souls and The Rough Guide To Led Zeppelin, both of which I picked up during the recent Borders going out of business sales. Perhaps more important to me than the books at this point is delving deeper into the world of unofficial Zeppelin live shows. I have a few but only just a smattering. Most of what I heard back in the day had horrible sound which discouraged me from searching much further despite being a pretty rabid Zep fan.

I've glanced through the updated paperback editions of Hammer of the Gods long enough to read the updated portion. I would prefer to own another copy of the hardback edition but at this point, I guess any edition would do. I've also glanced through a number of the other Zeppelin books through the years but the only other ones I've purchased are Shadows Taller Than Our Souls and The Rough Guide To Led Zeppelin, both of which I picked up during the recent Borders going out of business sales. Perhaps more important to me than the books at this point is delving deeper into the world of unofficial Zeppelin live shows. I have a few but only just a smattering. Most of what I heard back in the day had horrible sound which discouraged me from searching much further despite being a pretty rabid Zep fan.

Due to the guidelines of the site, I don't think we can promote links for "unofficial releases". But I do own close to 100 shows, half of which are great listens regarding sound quality and performance. The two Copenhagen shows they did just before Knebworth were some of the best ever. I can't provide you with a site or anything (although they are not hard to find) but youtube is safe to mention and there are a decent supply of full shows and sparatic songs. My favorite years are 69, 72, the european tour of 73 and 77. The 1980 tour has some good ones too depending on the date. 1970 and 71 are the hardest to find in good quality. 75 has some good soundboards but Plant suffered from throat problems for most of the ones I've listened too. Back to the ITTOD era, I recommend you find the two Copenhagen shows from 79.

Archived