Why no D'yer Mak'er live?

mrledhed

This song was never done live (probably - although there are some "rumors" about a 1973 performance).

Why is that? I always thought it was an interesting song.

With the piano in 1975 they could have pulled it off. I'm also annoyed it wasn't done at the O2.

The one song I wish that was really done live was 'In The Light'. They could have segued into it after Jimmys bow solo in 1977 and cut out all of the nonsense that preceded it.

As a big fan of that song, I would have loved to hear how they played it live.

I've never seen the appeal to this song, one of their worst IMO.

I like it because it shows their versatility as a band. People like to pigeonhole Zeppelin as "heavy metal" or "hard rock" when in reality, there was much more to their music than that.

I like it because it shows their versatility as a band. People like to pigeonhole Zeppelin as "heavy metal" or "hard rock" when in reality, there was much more to their music than that.

Oh I know that it's they song doesn't appeal to me much, their ability to sway from genre to genre and do it all perfectly will forever amaze me.

Agreed, they covered so many different styles. I recently did an ethnomusicology paper at university on popular music and I think the lecturer mentioned Zeppelin about once and just classed them as 'Stadium Rock'.

Although terms like "arena rock" and "stadium rock" can be used insultingly, I don't think that is always the case, especially when it comes to artists such as Zeppelin, U2, the Who, the Stones, Queen and Springsteen (to name just a few). It takes a special brand of artist that can hold the attention of that many people so Zeppelin fits that description to a t. As for "D'yer Mak'er", I would never mistake it for the more authentic reggae of Marley, Tosh, Toots, etc. but it shows they were more than willing to take chances musically and maybe even have a little fun.

Jimmy didn't like Livin' Lovin' Maid.

closest we got was that lil snippet during a break between songs on and old boot ....ballcrusher maybe (feel free to correct me)

file under things we would have loved to hear......maybe a lil dose of "houses of the holy" on the 77 tour for example.....a complete "rover".......or custard pie by the complete band......ah well.........spose as led heds we're a bit spoiled as it is with just the wealth of material we have........for a band that really wasn't around all that long...

Why no D'yer Mak'er live?

The same reasons they didn't play many other songs.

1. One or more members of the band didn't like the song.

2. The song proved too formidable to attempt live with only the 4 band members.

3. Post-1972, Plant's voice problems prevented them from doing songs out of his range, ie. Immigrant Song, Four Sticks.

3. The song didn't fit with the vibe the band was trying to create on a particular tour.

4. By 1973, unless the band either trimmed or cut the marathons(Dazed and Confused, No Quarter, Moby Dick) from the set, or decided to play 5 or 6 hour sets, there just wasn't room for a lot of the quirky stuff and still get the expected set highlights(SIBLY, OTHAFA, TSRTS, Rain Song, Kashmir, WLL, Stairway). Hell, I feel grateful they finally brought back the acoustic set in 1977*.

*Yes, I'm aware they first brought it back at Earl's Court in 1975, but those Limey shows didn't count to this American kid back then. :P

Frankly, I wasn't that bummed they didn't do "D'Yer Mak'er"...it's a nice funny tune, but lyrically it is slight and well, it just isn't essential. I am far more happy they found room for The Crunge in its various guises: as an interlude in Dazed and Confused at the 1972 shows or as the intro into the theremin part in WLL on the 1973 and 1975 tours. Those funky moments will always be among my favourite parts of those concerts.

No, to me the bigger crime and squandered opportunity was the band's neglecting 5 key PG tracks that I wish they had included in the setlist...if not in 1975 when PG was barely out, then certainly in 1977, when PG was now legend among the Zeppelin faithfull and a certain amount of stasis and boredom would set in the third hour of the set.

I speak of these songs: The Rover, Wanton Song, In the Light, Night Flight, and Houses of the Holy. Oh, and throw in Custard Pie, too!

In fact, as much as TSRTS and Sick Again could be an effective opening one-two punch(though not as steamroller powerful as seeing Immigrant Song-Heartbreaker in 1972, or Rock and Roll-Celebration Day-Black Dog in 1973), if the band, particularly Jimmy, wasn't on from the get-go, then TSRTS could sometimes be a disaster, with Jimmy's solos during the song sounding painfully inept. I was lucky to see them at the Forum, so they were pretty much on form that week. But I've heard some other shows from 1977, and listening to those TSRTSs and 1973/75 TSRTSs side-by-side will leave you scratching your head and wondering "who kidnapped Jimmy?", cause THAT can't be Jimmy butchering that song like that, can it?

Now, picture this...what if in 1977, they had opened with the one-two punch of Custard Pie and The Rover? Now that would have been awesome, in my opinion, for two reasons: 1) They are both hard rocking tunes with great crunchy riffs; and 2) They don't have tricky guitar parts and the solos are pretty straightforward, which means that would allow Jimmy to warm up his fingers and ease into the show, rather than trying to tackle a difficult number such as TSRTS right off the bat.

But, as with so much of the band's history, it is part of the lure of the lore. There are so many great peaks and amazing moments that this band accomplished throughout their life-span...moments that I will cherish forever and will even find myself moved to tears when I reflect back on them.

Then, there are those niggling little "what if?" moments, where you find yourself wondering "what the HELL were they thinking?"

Here are 5 other tunes I always wished they had performed...or at least performed more often.

1. When the Levee Breaks...an OBVIOUS choice...I would hear people shout for THIS song more often than Stairway at concerts...this should have been tried out at least a few times during the 1971-1973 tours...and when they did finally attempt it in 1975, they gave up on it much too soon.

2. Four Sticks...another tantalizing prospect, as one listen to the performance at the 1971 Amsterdam concert proves...I think this song kicks ass in that concert and as they played it more and got familiar with it, I think it would have been an earth-shaking component to the 1971 shows. Obviously, they wouldn't have been able to play it past 1972 due to Plant's voice troubles.

3. Friends...love hearing it on the 1971 Osaka boot; would have been a nice addition to the acoustic set...in fact, I think Friends would have been better suited for the acoustic set than Tangerine, which always lost something without the full band treatment...just compare the 1972 Tangerines to the 1975 Earls Court Tangerines...the Earls Court versions blow it away.

4. Royal Orleans...as I've no doubt made clear by now, I LOVE the funky Zeppelin...and this little rhythmic gem would have been an energetic and tasty bon mot amidst the self-indulgent wanking of the last-third of the 1977 setlist. I have to think that Bonzo at least would have loved to have played this live...just think of the fills and flourishes he could have come up with for this song.

5. Living Loving Maid...I just don't get why Jimmy hates this song...it is short, concise, funky...everything the critics claimed Led Zeppelin were NOT...not that the band should have cared what the critics thought but it would have been an excellent rebuttal to all those who said Zeppelin songs were ponderous and self-indulgent...and will you just LISTEN to that sly, slinky riff played off that sharp, crisp drum beat? AC/DC's entire oeuvre springs from this song.

Copenhagen.

Duly noted. I always seem to get those two cities mixed up.

I wasn't aware that they ever played it, at least not from the boot collection I have. I know that JPJ didn't like it much at all. He didn't think it was well thought out song..

Yep, they played it. For you, and others that didn't know, here it is:

Archived