Jimmy Page and Roy Harper

Rumpeller

I know Jimmy is sometimes referred to as the "Dark Lord", but with all his money you'd think his wardrobe could occasionally flirt with the idea of possessing raiment that is any colour but black, grey or white.... what happened to his sartorial imagination rampant in the 70s!

that's so funny I was actually thinking that while watching it, imagining him in his leather jacket and neckties.

That was so good! :thumbsup: It's amazing how well the two of them play together and work off each other. Just great stuff. Now why Jimmy can't get out on stage and do more things like this, I can't explain. Perhaps, he needs that bit of a push. Even though, he hasn't played much in the last few years, this is by far his best playing since the O2 show.

Anyone know when was the last time Jimmy did an acoustic performance prior to this? Hopefully, not as far back as with P/P or the Crowes! But it just may be.

Anyone know when was the last time Jimmy did an acoustic performance prior to this? Hopefully, not as far back as with P/P or the Crowes! But it just may be.

November 8, 2001 at Festhalle in Frankfurt when he attended the 2001 MTV Europe 'Video Music Awards and accompanied Fred Durst & Wes Scantlin of Limp Bizkit on 'Thank You' (Limp Bizkit won Best Group, Best Rock Act and The Web Award).

I figured SuperDave meant his last acoustic performance with the public present.

Thanks Steve. That's exactly what I meant. Was just watching that performance of "Thank You" yesterday. Didn't realize it was his last acoustic performance in public. Wow ten years. The man needs to get out and perform more often. But this is getting tired. :soapbox:

With a long solo

Someone shared this with me yesterday and I think it is so beautiful, incredibly so...a very moving performance of one of my favorite non-LZ JP songs. One of my friends said that he can recognize the unique and distinctive quality of JP's playing here, even so many years after we last heard Jimmy play an acoustic solo live. I'm sure the appearance of Jimmy at Roy's 70th birthday concert was a magical night for those who were fortunate to be there in person.

I know Jimmy is sometimes referred to as the "Dark Lord", but with all his money you'd think his wardrobe could occasionally flirt with the idea of possessing raiment that is any colour but black, grey or white.... what happened to his sartorial imagination rampant in the 70s!

Fully agreed. This is something I've noticed. I've seen him in pics. wearing stunningly creative and exceptionally cool clothes. Now he seems to wear track shirts! That being said, I really like what he wore in the IMGL movie. Quite sharp.

• 4 years later...
10 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Just watched this again for first time in ages, this has to be Jimmy's finest post 2000 moment on stage.  Wish he'd do more acoustic stuff, he really is quite brilliant at it.

I reckon he should have teamed up with Harper on a new project. They're good friends and it would have been a good way of keeping his hand in and getting back into recording. An all acoustic project, free of the 80s manure that hampered Jugula, could have been really interesting. In fact, there would be no shortage of younger folk musicians to pair up with him on a project, but obviously he's not keen.

I reckon his new girlfriend must be in his ear, saying Jimmy get back out there, and with her poetry leanings she probably would be in favour of him doing a Harper-style project. I believe Jimmy has a kind of World Cup attitude, where he will only play if it's on a grand scale, like the Olympic appearances . An event that he feels is befitting of his status as Rock's grand magus. Sad, because if he had taken a few more musical chances he could have released many post-2000 albums by now.

Yeah !!!. Jimmy is beyond together here and I have heard at home he mainly practices acoustic. Jimmy has a beautiful

touch, and this also reminds me of how in 77' as soon as Jimmy was handed either the acoustic or the mandolin,

full competence and execution was restored to his playing, not because he was sitting down, because that's what he played/practiced. There are so many potential opportunities with Jimmy on acoustic, and even though this is a little ways

back, this would be the best bet for a non- train wreck good experience for Jimmy and his fans if Jimmy launched a 

project.

Thanks for posting this! I've never seen this before.  Jimmy's playing so of course I'm inclined
to check it out. He did do a nice job didn't he.  And this wasn't thaaat   long ago.

Question:  Let's pretend the only reason Jimmy doesn't pick up a guitar publically is due to a
physical ailment.  His fingers, hands, wrists are just not as agile as they once were - be it from
arthritis, carpal tunnel, tendinitis  or
gripping a Jack D Old No. 7 bottle too hard. :shifty: :beer: 

What's easier physically on a guitar player suffering from the nagging things above. Acoustic
or electric?

Typically an electric guitar uses lighter strings which makes them easier to play.  However, for whatever strange reason Pagey just plays better and cleaner on acoustic.  He's good at fingerpicking, too.

id give anything for a simple stripped down Page acoustic album.  

Thanks for bumping this thread, bluecongo.  I had not seen this before, what a treat for the audience, and what a treat for us!  Jimmy adds a very special touch to the music, whether it's with an acoustic or electric guitar.  I would love to see him playing the acoustic guitar, in a setting just like this, playing just like this.  I will be listening to this song all day long!  Something about this song reminds me of Highwayman (one of the old country songs that I really like).  Not the guitar playing but Roy's voice.  I'm digging that! :) 

As a guitar player, from my point of view, the very obvious fluidity and

flowing of Jimmy's playing demonstrated live with Harper, really makes

me doubt Jimmy has any serious hand issues. Certainly problems can

kick in after a long set, or any age, but if you look at most famous

guitarists past 70 who have demonstrated little decline, there are few if

any who in a very short timespan (barring a stroke, heart attack, etc.)

of 3-5 years who lose large ability solely due to age.

Thanks BlueCongo and Mithril46! :)

Well Jimmy certainly doesn't look like a guitarist suffering from any kind of pain while playing
that's for sure.  It kind of kiboshes the idea that he stopped playing due to some nagging
condition doesn't it.?.   I suppose he could hide the fact there's a problem  -  I'm not sure
why though. 
:unsure: I somewhat expected there would be - considering how long he's played
for.  He looks quite at home on a small stage playing accoustic. The small venues are probably
more comfortable for somebody with bad stage nerves VS some huge 80K seat stadiums.

It sounds like Jones and Plant are at that point now too where the smaller crowds are welcomed.  
Sadly the 3 of them would never be able to perform together somewhere like that. I can't imagine 
the 3 of them playing to a group of only 2500 fans.  Individually yes,  but not all together. 

Archived