Willie Nelson at the Mayo and Chuck Berry at the State Theater...

Wolfman

Saw some good shows the last few weeks..first I saw Willie Nelson last week at the Mayo in Morristown, NJ on 10/27/11. Willie was great as usual. Also, I saw Chuck Berry at the State Theater in Easton, PA last night, 11/5/11. Chuck can't solo anymore but he sure can sing and play rhythm guitar. He also does the duck walk. Good times!

post-157-0-05977600-1320591786.jpg

Even though I've been a fan of Willie Nelson since the 70s, I never did see him in concert until the 00s. It was a good concert but he never seemed to be able to finish an entire song so it came across as one long medley. Unfortunately that gave his concert the air of someone performing at Branson that is well beyond their prime. Still, I finally I got to see Willie Nelson in concert and for that I am grateful but I wish I had seen him back in the 70s or 80s instead before he started up with the Vegas/Branson routine.

I also saw Chuck Berry a few years ago when he played a free concert as part of Raleigh Wide Open. I had been warned beforehand by friends that had seen him before that I needed to be on time because Chuck plays 30 minutes and that's it. There's NO encore. I arrived in plenty of time and he was great, even if it was a trainwreck at times (one song faded into the next, probably not hard to do since they all sound so similar). At the end, he invited any girls that wanted to, to get up on stage with him. About mid-way through that, he slowly slithered off of the stage (while still playing guitar). Once he reached the backstage area, which everyone could see since it was held out on the street, he took off his guitar, gave me a tip of his captain's hat (I was standing right on the rail) and went into the Marriott where he was staying, which was directly behind the stage. That was it but I'm very glad I got to see Chuck Berry, a living legend if ever there was one. Local News & Observer music writer David Menconi also got this great story about Chuck's search for barbecue which is well worth reading.

Archived