ROBERT PLANT SAYS AVOIDING LED ZEPPELIN REUNION KEY TO HIS RECENT SUCCESS

George Harrison...

really...thats cool.

i love them all really, big lennon fan, bought a few of pauls later cds for christmas and bday gifts i thought it was to great, georges songs were the best in a way and i heard from some folks i worked for that met ringo starr that he was so nice and signed tshirts and records and was such a nice guy. btw i think ringo starr has one of the best christmas songs...cmon christmas...with big drums and all, really cool.

really...thats cool.

i love them all really, big lennon fan, bought a few of pauls later cds for christmas and bday gifts i thought it was to great, georges songs were the best in a way and i heard from some folks i worked for that met ringo starr that he was so nice and signed tshirts and records and was such a nice guy. btw i think ringo starr has one of the best christmas songs...cmon christmas...with big drums and all, really cool.

Have you seen the 'Concert for George' DVD?

I have to say it is one of most Emotional and touching Tributes I have ever seen...

PS I was a big Ringo fan back in the 60's when I was but a child... :lol:

Have you seen the 'Concert for George' DVD?

I have to say it is one of most Emotional and touching Tributes I have ever seen...

PS I was a big Ringo fan back in the 60's when I was but a child... :lol:

yeah i have seen that on pbs, very good. but the record brainwashed alot too, stuff like in a cloud, its heart breaking. with lennon passing i was a kid and remember talking to other kids about it when we heard and we just didnt know what life was back then. but when i saw people crying about it, that obviously gave more meaning.

but anyway, god bless the zeppelin folks, page, plant and jones. they should do what they want to do, right. do what thou wilt and all that.

I love the Beatles, Paul I guess is my "Fav" just because I think he was the most talented of the lot. Been listening to the Beach Boys SMiLE, and have been blown away by it! Hard to believe it was canceled in 67, would have most likely been compared to Sgt. Pepper.

As far as Plant goes I say go for it man, although I'm not into his new music, he is free to do what he wants as an artist. But as for these folks that like to champion him as the one whos "left the past behind" (As his last two efforts have been covers of mostly older songs) I find em kinda funny. Lets wait and see what he comes up with as far as original new music goes. It might be good, then again it might be God awful, only time will tell.

I just hope that Jimmy puts out some new stuff soon. A lot of people have been waiting a long time for it. Come on Jimmy! Lets go!

yeah i have seen that on pbs, very good. but the record brainwashed alot too, stuff like in a cloud, its heart breaking. with lennon passing i was a kid and remember talking to other kids about it when we heard and we just didnt know what life was back then. but when i saw people crying about it, that obviously gave more meaning.

but anyway, god bless the zeppelin folks, page, plant and jones. they should do what they want to do, right. do what thou wilt and all that.

Sometimes on this 'Forum' it does descend into rather playground mentality, with things like Robert is better than Jimmy :rolleyes:

But I'm with you, they should all do what ever they want.

As far as Plant goes I say go for it man, although I'm not into his new music, he is free to do what he wants as an artist. But as for these folks that like to champion him as the one whos "left the past behind" (As his last two efforts have been covers of mostly older songs) I find em kinda funny. Lets wait and see what he comes up with as far as original new music goes. It might be good, then again it might be God awful, only time will tell.

What I find funny is how people bash Plant for doing a lot of cover material over the course of his last few albums yet Led Zeppelin did the very same thing. Like Zeppelin, Plant has mined some of the finest vintage material out there (though it's relatively obscure to a lot of folks) but has managed to make it his very own with the very ample assistance of the Band of Joy (as well as those who played on Raising Sand and Dreamland). What he and his bandmates have conjured up is a very potent mix that embraces the music of the past with some of the Middle Eastern textures that have defined Zeppelin and Plant's best works, in the meantime coming up with something that is very original.

I always say live your life, even with the consequences that may follow. If they are happy, so be it. We all have to grow up sometimes. That makes life interesting and worth living.

(By the way, my fave Beatle has changed as I've grown older. First, it was John. Then, Paul. Now, I have tremendous respect for George, especially after viewing Martin Scorcese's documentary on him. Great stuff.)

I always say live your life, even with the consequences that may follow. If they are happy, so be it. We all have to grow up sometimes. That makes life interesting and worth living.

(By the way, my fave Beatle has changed as I've grown older. First, it was John. Then, Paul. Now, I have tremendous respect for George, especially after viewing Martin Scorcese's documentary on him. Great stuff.)

It's either George or Paul for me. Pretty equally. I liked the Scorcese documentary, but it could have been better. More performance sequences would have added so much more to this. There were too many interviews. He needed to balance it better.

I think Plants solo career sucks... I like his first two albums. After that I cant say anything good about him or his music... His refusal to do a reunion is disappointing. I mean the Page/Plant thing was a reunion but it was cheesy, acoustic, and there was no JPJ.... Hes still around because he was the singer of Zep.... Not because his new music is good.. And the band he plays in, disgraceful. Pure letdown, Id walk out if I went to one of he concerts today...

P.S. I saw his first solo tour with Phil Collins on drums which was a fantastic show... Manic Nirvana was the beginning of the cheese... Today, sadly he thinks hes on the right path... Im sorry but his new shows are a rip off!!! Stop ripping off the fans of Zep, and play some fucking music whiteboy!

Whoa...I thought spidersandsnakes had wrapped up the "lamest post of the year" award, but your late entry may just beat anything posted so far. It's a whole lotta lame!

His current band "disgraceful"? Are you serious...do you even know the quality of musicians he's been working with lately? These aren't some country-bumpkins he picked up on the side-of-the-road.

In fact, your entire post is so mind-bogglingly off-base, that I wonder if you aren't "spidersandsnakes" coming back under a different name?

If Pagey got up and made some records they would be twice as good as Percy's.

That is a HUGE "IF"...a lot of us have been saying things like "if" and "when" regarding new music from Jimmy for years and years. He needs to stop picking up awards(Classic Rock Awards? Snooze) and PICK UP a guitar!!!

Well put Strider. Well perhaps, jimigreen will have the same fate as spidersandsnakes on this board? Well, I had a part in his overall fate here, but not directly. It was his doing. I suppose I just gave him some bait, by restarting a less active thread. It really wan't my intention, but it just happened.

Whatever floats Robert's boat at this stage of his journey, so be it. He has paid his dues and earned that right. Outside of a couple of numbers he did with Krauss, most of his recent solo work (post Page/Plant) doesn't float my boat. It's a mystery to me that what motivated him to join Jimmy in in 90s vanished so quickly. So be it.

Now just all Robert needs to do is stop talking about Zeppelin. Quite easy....."Next Question."

Whatever floats Robert's boat at this stage of his journey, so be it. He has paid his dues and earned that right. Outside of a couple of numbers he did with Krauss, most of his recent solo work (post Page/Plant) doesn't float my boat. It's a mystery to me that what motivated him to join Jimmy in in 90s vanished so quickly. So be it.

Now just all Robert needs to do is stop talking about Zeppelin. Quite easy....."Next Question."

He usually dismisses any questions about reunions etcetera but everyone keeps hounding him.

The simple solution is, don't ask him.

I'll be interested in hearing the new material he's recording.

As for him playing Zeppelin or any covers either live or on recordings it's his prerogative and if it doesn't "float your boat", don't listen to it or buy it.

What could be easier than that!?

Given the fact that this thread is turning out to be one of those of a controversial nature, I will just say this. I have been guilty of calling Robert "a stubborn old mule" in the past because of his refusal to participate in a Led Zeppelin reunion in the future. Nobody is perfect. Not me and certainly not anyone on this forum. I then read an article somewhere on this very forum about why exactly Robert doesn't want to do a reunion. I don't remember the link to the thread (so please don't ask me for it). I understood his reasons and I sympathised with him. I am not saying that as a fan I think it is my right to know the reasons why Robert refuses to do a Zep reunion show. Absolutely not. I was just exceptionally curious about the reasons for his reluctance. Moreover, a very dear friend of mine on this forum, gifted me some exceptional boots, highlighting some of Led Zeppelin's finest concert moments. I am most certainly grateful! :) I am no longer one of those younger fans who tends to hold a gruge against Robert about this whole reunion issue.

Now, as for the musical direction Robert is taking at the moment, well, all the very best to him and I can see that the man is exceptionally content with what he is doing at the moment, which is very good :)

As for the question of whether I like his work or not, well, that is for ME to decide and no one else!! :rolleyes:

We get new challenging music from RP, who's not afraid to lose some fans along the way. From Pagey we get "this day in Page history".

That's a telling and succinct observation.

It seems that Robert Plant over the years has not wanted to be bound by the musical area he part-occupied in Led Zep. We know now (but did not in the 80s) from interviews he's given that mentally he had half left Led Zep even before 1980 and was ill at ease in the band in the final years. Not surprising therefore that he should feel impelled to developing the post-Zep career into many areas. I wish him well with his music-making, wherever it takes him.

By contrast, the career of Page is taking on quite a tragic hue. He has done commendable work in preserving and extending Led Zep's archive over the years by way of remastering and releasing live stuff, etc for which we are all grateful (can't imagine life without the DVD or How the West Was Won) but compared to his creative achievements with Led Zep the last 30 years have been increasingly a vision of near artistic collapse. Page has made this worse in the last decade by repeatedly alluding to big new musical adventures that are just around the corner ... which never materialize. This has inevitably aroused expectations that are not met and led to disappointment (Led to Disappointment - now there's a title ...). He is of course perfectly entitled to not do anything anymore.

It seems that he could never move on from Zeppelin and what he was in Zeppelin. If you imagine being the guitar hero in the black dragon suit you can sympathize - who'd want to move on from being that? It is so defining. That's quite a career change and a psychological challenge. September 1980 - BOOM! - the Hand of Fate says to Page, "I'm sorry but you can't have any more of that; that's over." Pretty tough.

And perhaps his creativity needed those players to bring out the best.

Anyone who was really committed to music-making would not I think define it so narrowly. Example: why would it be so difficult to write and release an acoustic album of instrumentals like Bron-Y-Aur? We know Page is a deft hand with altered tunings and he certainly plays acoustic unlike anyone else. Finger-picking guitar with the odd bit of mandolin and a few haunting sonic treatments, and a touch of Headley Grange. That would've been a perfectly good creative move. Wouldn't take so long and wouldn't need other people And then follow it with something different. Can that be so difficult? Or uninteresting?

How about working with an orchestra? An electric guitar concerto with all the Page trademarks. I'm up for writing and orchestrating it.

Wow okay, where to start. Bloody hell..

I've been reading through this thread and am not only utterly surprised but simply disgusted at the way some people judge Robert and think they know the lot. I read his recent interview with GQ a couple of days ago and thought he was wonderful. The way he answered and the content of his answers. I'm excited that he's writing new material and I'm really anxious to hear it. Hopefully the material will see the light of day.

That's one part, but the other thing which absolutely disgusted me about some replies to this topic is the utter disrespect towards Robert and what he has achieved. I'm so happy that he's still out and about so that I might be able to see him one day. He continues to create which is all that counts for me. As for calling his latest band "disgraceful". The only disgraceful thing is the people who call themselves fans and are not willing to just leave him alone. I've got 2 simple solutions for you: either listen to his stuff or DON'T but don't go bashing him. I can see why he is not willing to participate in such a reunion. This time of his life is passé, yet he pays tribute to this vital and important time which made him famous on every possible occasion.

I'm guilty of having thought in a different way a couple of months ago, but I've learned and I can understand his refusal now.

And what is up with this Page/Plant rivalry?? My goodness, Robert stated quite openly what he thinks of Jimmy today so what are you lot talking about?

So any of you guys bashing Robert for being his own person and for doing what he thinks suits him, why don't you just get a grip and let him lead his life and show some respect for this man?? That is what he deserves. Grow up.

That was a nice interview with Robert.

He has been richly rewarded with happiness and love for the path that he has chosen for his career, which is a direct result from his musical choices in recent years. To me, that is the ultimate prize in life. What more can we ask for someone that we adore and care about, such as Robert? He has grown as an artist and a singer in his musical journey, and I am glad that I have been along for the ride and the enjoyment that his music has given me. Thank you, Robert, for your musical explorations!

And I loved the Page and Plant era, maybe more than the Zeppelin era. I like the softer, acoustic Zep songs the best, "light and shade", don't you know. And the Egyptian musicians as well as the orchestra and hurdy gurdy really enhanced the music, in my opinion.

What I find funny is how people bash Plant for doing a lot of cover material over the course of his last few albums yet Led Zeppelin did the very same thing. Like Zeppelin, Plant has mined some of the finest vintage material out there (though it's relatively obscure to a lot of folks) but has managed to make it his very own with the very ample assistance of the Band of Joy (as well as those who played on Raising Sand and Dreamland). What he and his bandmates have conjured up is a very potent mix that embraces the music of the past with some of the Middle Eastern textures that have defined Zeppelin and Plant's best works, in the meantime coming up with something that is very original.

Well yeah but that was the "mighty Led Zeppelin" doing the covering so it's forgiven. Plant on the other hand doing the same thing now is considered "tired" or "out of original ideas".

Funny how that works ain't it though?

And I loved the Page and Plant era, maybe more than the Zeppelin era. I like the softer, acoustic Zep songs the best, "light and shade", don't you know. And the Egyptian musicians as well as the orchestra and hurdy gurdy really enhanced the music, in my opinion.

That aspect of the Unledded project was a real treat to me as well, especially considering what a role Moroccan music has played in Zeppelin music over the years. To hear the rearrangements of those songs and the stripped down nature of them was like a dream come true for many of us. And contrary to what jimigreen said, the Unledded tour was also full of plenty of heavier moments so it was completely representative of everything Led Zeppelin original stood for, it was just being cast in a very different light via Plant and Page's new treatments of those songs.

John Paul Jones can make albums post Zeppelin which are musically very diverse....no fuss.

Why is Robert Plant not afforded the same .?

I've often wondered the same thing. Plant has dabbled in lots of the textures of old timey music while John Paul Jones has done what I would unmistakably call "bluegrass" with the likes of the Duhks, Uncle Earl and others yet I don't recall that aspect of his work ever being criticized here. I believe the answer lies in Plant's refusal to take part in a Zeppelin reunion (which still has to explain at nearly every turn) so instead of taking the time to understand his reasoning, those people that don't agree with it lash out at him instead. It's perfectly understandable for people to not be into the kind of music Plant has been doing lately but to use that as an excuse to bash him because he won't take part in a Led Zeppelin reunion is nothing short of behaving childishly because you can't get your way. No matter how many times Plant has to offer up a reasonable explanation, the temper tantrums and foot stomping will continue from some factions of the Zeppelin fanbase.

He usually dismisses any questions about reunions etcetera but everyone keeps hounding him.

The simple solution is, don't ask him.

I'll be interested in hearing the new material he's recording.

As for him playing Zeppelin or any covers either live or on recordings it's his prerogative and if it doesn't "float your boat", don't listen to it or buy it.

What could be easier than that!?

It's an opinion. Plant is a big boy and can defend himself.

It's an opinion. Plant is a big boy and can defend himself.

Yes, they are opinions but when they become personal attacks on him (or anyone else for that matter), because they choose to do things that they don't like or agree with, that IMO is unacceptable puerile behaviour.

He shouldn't have to defend anything he does nor should anyone have to defend his choices either.

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and there are a lot of both on this forum.

Like it or lump it.

Archived