Jason v John (it's not what you think)

I have the video editing skills of a monkey, at best, but I would love to see a side by side of Jason and John drumming the same song. From all I've seen and heard he was phenomenal. Noone can replace John, I watched the DVD last night and will never get over the sheer power and force he had, but Jason can hold his own.

So, I have 2 questions, would it be possible to do a side by side, I'd love to see if he mimicks his father's nuances and (2), if/when they tour do you think he'd ever play Moby Dick or Bonzo's Montreaux?

If anyone thinks I am disrespecting Jason in anyway, they are dead wrong. I think he filled that seat better than anyone after 1980, and better than anyone else could (short of dad).

So, what do you think, would the first thing be possible? And as for the 2nd thing, would he do it out of respect or not do it out of respect?

Excellent idea - I'd be very interested to see a side by side. As you say, simply to see if he has the same actions (though I doubt he'd have the whole "chewing on air" thing).

As for doing those solos, I think it'd be very cool for him to do them. It wouldn't be disrespectful in the slightest. I think maybe some people go a little over the top with the "you can't do this or that because it's disrespectul to John Bonham".

Great idea...

Listening to *ahem* a live recording of a recent Zep show right now and he ( Jason ) did a phenomenal job of playing the songs as his dad probably would of. Altogether, this show sounds amazing and I have little doubt those of us lucky enough to be in a city with a large arena, WILL get the chance to see Jason in person !!! :D

I seriously think that Bonzo was not just the greatest rock drummer ever, but more importantly, absolutely perfect for Jimmy's songwriting style...Zep, like most bands are about the chemistry and interplay between the members.

Jason isn't quite as good as his father, but who is? However, given the history of the band, I don't think anyone else in the world would mean as much to the other three on stage as Bonham Jr. Just try and imagine what's going through their minds while they are playing:

Robert: Known the Bonham family since he was 15.

Jimmy: Introduced to Bonzo by his new singer in 1968 and immediately knew he had to have this guy in his band.

JPJ: spent most of his time with Zep at the back of the stage so he could watch Bonzo's every move.

No other drummer could possibly mean that much, no matter how good they were musically.

I don't think it's fair saying that Jason isn't quite as good as his dad. I am the biggest Bonzo fan, but I have seen Jason many, many times playing and he has amazed me, absolutely. I've heard from other drummer's as well as tech's that in fact John would declare his son better than him.

No other drummer has the gift of playing like John Bonham, except his own son, he has all of his father absolutely.

Excellent idea - I'd be very interested to see a side by side. As you say, simply to see if he has the same actions (though I doubt he'd have the whole "chewing on air" thing).

As for doing those solos, I think it'd be very cool for him to do them. It wouldn't be disrespectful in the slightest. I think maybe some people go a little over the top with the "you can't do this or that because it's disrespectul to John Bonham".

I agree. How could any father not be proud to see his son follow in his footsteps with as much success as Jason has had. Bonzo would be proud much as Ringo is proud of Zach Starkey's drumming for The Who. No father would find it disrespectful to see their son pay tribute to him.

Archived