The quit smoking thread.

reswati

After smoking since my 18th I have put this habit to an end four days ago. I must admit that the first two days were rather beyond fucked up, today it feels a little bit better, although it's hard to break old typical habits (Like staying in the kitchen in the morning, I used to sit there and smoke my first cigarette, so that the whole house wouldn't smell of it) or the urge to have a smoke after breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Yesterday evening I got so hyperactive that I could only sleep after an amount of alcohol, combined with a sleeping pill. Hope that this will not happen every night now......hence I decided to write this shit here to deal with my extra smoke-free time and the withdrawal symptoms in a positive way. Are there any other people here who do have gone through the same experience and how did you deal with it.....feel free to share your stories, that would be very inspiring to read.

Greets, Res.

After smoking since my 18th I have put this habit to an end four days ago. I must admit that the first two days were rather beyond fucked up, today it feels a little bit better, although it's hard to break old typical habits (Like staying in the kitchen in the morning, I used to sit there and smoke my first cigarette, so that the whole house wouldn't smell of it) or the urge to have a smoke after breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Yesterday evening I got so hyperactive that I could only sleep after an amount of alcohol, combined with a sleeping pill. Hope that this will not happen every night now......hence I decided to write this shit here to deal with my extra smoke-free time and the withdrawal symptoms in a positive way. Are there any other people here who do have gone through the same experience and how did you deal with it.....feel free to share your stories, that would be very inspiring to read.

Greets, Res.

Are you going cold Turkey or are you using Patches?

I just wonder how easy, or hard, it is to hollow out a slender carrot. That could drive one to drink. Although I could see the reasoning for having that to keep the mouth and hands busy.

Honestly I can't imagine what one goes through to quit, as I haven't smoked since my senior year in high school. I quit cold turkey no problem. The only thing I might suggest at night is to try an herbal tea that promotes sleeping and melotonin instead of alcohol and sleeping pills. That is is a more natural approach to that problem. Don't want to replace one nasty habit with another.

Good luck and stay strong in your willpower. Keep busy with other activities. Post here when you feel a waining in your new resolve to help you through the bumps.

i have never smoked, and can't for the life of me see what the attraction is to it.

but

i just wanted to say WELL DONE reswati, and i wish you all the luck in the world. it's a wonderful thing that you are doing, not only for yourself, but your friends and family too.

" every cigarette is doing you harm "

First of all, thanks for all the reactions........feels good to be not alone with this vibe.

I could not stop it going cold turkey so I used chewing gum, but the taste of it is so amazingly beyond disgusting that I reduced it to a minimum to begin with. Today I went to see an Alice Cooper concert to keep me busy, and to reward myself as well.......works better than alc and pills indeed, just danced and freaked out.

As soon as I can hollow out a carrot I will do that, until then I will have to use a cucumber.....easier to hollow out and it looks more impressive, lol.

Read Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking. No pangs, no cravings, no hunger, no irritability......and in fact will make you enjoy quitting.

I've quit for over 6 years, as have all my friends who have read this. Best book I've ever read.

way ta go dude....cept when you back off by a pack over there in the netherlands it just means the guvnah's gonna have to increase the tax on your bone at the local coffee house to pay for the health exam at the whore house around the corner.....

Congratulations on quitting; that's wonderful! :)

http://www.gwu.edu/quitsmoking/health.html

What Happens When You Quit Smoking

A timeline of health benefits

20 Minutes After You Quit

The effects of quitting start to set in immediately. Less than 20 minutes after your last cigarette, your heart rate will already start to drop back towards normal levels.

2 Hours After You Quit

After two hours without a cigarette, your heart rate and blood pressure will have decreased to near healthy levels. Your peripheral circulation may also improve. You may also begin to feel nicotine withdrawals.

12 Hours After You Quit

In just 12 hours after quitting smoking, the carbon monoxide in your body decreases to normal levels, and your blood oxygen levels increase to normal.

24 Hours After You Quit

The heart attack rate for smokers is 70% higher than for non-smokers. But, believe or not, just one full day after quitting smoking, your risk for heart attack will already have begun to drop.

48 Hours After You Quit

At this point all nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.

2 to 3 Weeks After You Quit

You'll finally be able to exercise and perform physical activities without feeling winded and sick. This is also the point in which most people stop feel withdrawal symptoms.

1 to 9 Months After You Quit

Starting about a month after you quit, your lungs begin to regenerate. Inside them, the cilia –the tiny hair-like organelles that push mucus out –will start to repair themselves and function properly again.

1 Year After You Quit

The one year mark is a big one. After a year without smoking, your risk for heart disease is lowered by 50% compared to when you were still smoking.

5 Years After You Quit

5 to 15 years of being smoke-free, your risk of having a stroke is the same as someone who doesn't smoke.

10 Years After You Quit

It'll take 10 years, but if you quit, eventually your risk of dying from lung cancer will drop to half that of a smoker's. Ten years after quitting, your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas also decreases.

Long Term Benefits

The long-term benefits of quitting smoking are fantastic. According to the American Heart Association, non-smokers, on average, live 14 years longer than smokers.

Retrieved from smokefree.gov

I used nicotine gum to help me quit smoking three years ago this past October. The gum helped but it wasn't the deciding factor in how I was able to quit, willpower and losing an older brother to cancer were. I had tried Chantix prior to that but was not successful. The main thing is your desire to quit. I have tried to quit so many times before but this time my heart was really in it. I can't say I feel any healthier but I don't miss it at all.

• 4 weeks later...

One smoke-free month gone.....yippee.

Just the amount of money that didn't get spent on cigarettes is amazing, also my voice benefits from my decision to quit, I can now reach notes that I lost years ago.

That is so awesome; congratulations for sticking it out!! You have added years!! :cheer: :cheer:

One smoke-free month gone.....yippee.

Just the amount of money that didn't get spent on cigarettes is amazing, also my voice benefits from my decision to quit, I can now reach notes that I lost years ago.

Congrats to you!!! :thumbsup: One month down and the rest of your life to go which will get easier and longer for each day, week, month, year you continue down this path.

I'm attempting to quit too. I've decided to try an e-cigarette, you still get the nicotine but not the tar or other chemicals with the smoke. I haven't smoked a cigarette in a week but I can see at some point in time I'll have to wean myself off the e-cig too.

Still, after a pack a day habit for decades I'm technically not smoking........well kinda. I've suddenly got money in my pocket again too. Bonus days.

I'm attempting to quit too. I've decided to try an e-cigarette, you still get the nicotine but not the tar or other chemicals with the smoke. I haven't smoked a cigarette in a week but I can see at some point in time I'll have to wean myself off the e-cig too.

Still, after a pack a day habit for decades I'm technically not smoking........well kinda. I've suddenly got money in my pocket again too. Bonus days.

E-cigs are so terribly artificial, tried it once and threw it out of the window.

Anyway, good luck to you, if I can do it, you can quit too.

May the force be with you!

• 2 months later...

Lol..................haven't touched one in 4 months already (neither tried to smoke a carrot as in the picture either.

My main infatuation now is the consumption of air and sometimes a peppermint.

That's wonderful! :)