FAN STABS HIMSELF TO DEATH, BLAMES HEARING DAMAGE FROM THEM CROOKED VULTURES CONCERT

My husband swears he got tinnitus after the Page & Plant concert we saw in 1998, but I believe that it was the accumulation of all the loud concerts he went to over the years & it just so happened that P & P was the "final straw". Now he wears earplugs to all shows.

My ears started ringing after a show I saw at a local club three years ago. To this day, both ears are still ringing (though it's my right ear more than the left). It's not unusual for your ears to ring the day following a concert but after three weeks, my ears hadn't stopped ringing so I went to an audiologist. She said the hairs in my inner ear were gone and that there was nothing that could be done to stop the ringing. She also said that it was cumulative, which made complete sense because I'd been attending live concerts since my teens and had never once worn earplugs. I don't go to a concert without them now. My only option these days is to preserve what little hearing I have left. For those that are interested, this is a nice read from NPR.org:

Is Your Favorite Band Making You Deaf?

them crooked vultures were VERY LOUD in sydney when i saw them, but it was my choice to go the concert, and i could have worn earplugs.

Same here when I saw them. They were remarkably loud. i.e. loud enough that I remarked on it to several people afterwards - I've no idea what their replies were. :-) I can believe that someone who was susceptible to tinnitus could easily have it triggered by that volume.

I hear you there girl, those "ladies" can get pretty loud. And, if those versions of "I will Survive" don't give you tinnitus nothing will :cheer:

I'm not talking Ru Paul. I am talking about loud, hot rods with super huge loud motors. You know, the one's that make the ground shake? That's what I am talking about. I never wear earplugs & I know that if I lose my hearing, that's why. Actually, I do wear earplugs, my pointer fingers. -_-

• 3 weeks later...

I have permanent damge from TCV also (two years ago). Still have mild ringing in both ears so I can somewhat tune it out at times but it's always there. Never again will I go without earplugs and would advise everyone to not leave home without them.

I have permanent damge from TCV also (two years ago). Still have mild ringing in both ears so I can somewhat tune it out at times but it's always there. Never again will I go without earplugs and would advise everyone to not leave home without them.

Sorry to hear that you or anybody is suffering from permanent ear damage and especially because you were attending a concert that should have been remembered for all the right reasons. I have to say that with all my years of concert going, I consider myself lucky as opposed to smart. Your advice needs to be taken seriously by all concert goers..no matter what their age.

Sorry to hear that you or anybody is suffering from permanent ear damage and especially because you were attending a concert that should have been remembered for all the right reasons. I have to say that with all my years of concert going, I consider myself lucky as opposed to smart. Your advice needs to be taken seriously by all concert goers..no matter what their age.

Ever since telling my friends about my experience with tinnitus not a single one of them have started wearing earplugs. Thing is, it's one of those things that people think will never happen to them but when it does, there's nothing you can do about it, it's too late. I only wish that I had started wearing earplugs sooner. All I can do now is preserve what hearing I have left. I just wish my friends would listen, it's extremely frustrating that they don't. Once the ringing starts, it never goes away.

Ever since telling my friends about my experience with tinnitus not a single one of them have started wearing earplugs. Thing is, it's one of those things that people think will never happen to them but when it does, there's nothing you can do about it, it's too late. I only wish that I had started wearing earplugs sooner. All I can do now is preserve what hearing I have left. I just wish my friends would listen, it's extremely frustrating that they don't. Once the ringing starts, it never goes away.

I know what you mean about friends not listening because I was just as ignorant myself. I must admit that I didn't wear them when I saw Rush earlier this year ( forgot to bring them :buttsmack: ) but after experiencing TCV at the Paramount in Seattle 2yrs ago and remembering what you yourself told me about your condition, I don't go without them

I know what you mean about friends not listening because I was just as ignorant myself. I must admit that I didn't wear them when I saw Rush earlier this year ( forgot to bring them :buttsmack: ) but after experiencing TCV at the Paramount in Seattle 2yrs ago and remembering what you yourself told me about your condition, I don't go without them

I'm glad at least one person took my advice, thanks. I always keep an extra pair or two on me just in case, which has come in handy on a few occasions. Most venues around here also sell them which isn't a bad idea. You do grow used to the ringing but when you're in a room with complete silence with nothing to mask it, it becomes more than a bit maddening.

People tend to get "macho" about the earplug thing and think it won't happen to them. In my experience it's more of a "when it happens" not "if it happens". Loud music will eventually cause damage. I've played in bands, worked shows, attended shows etc. for more than 3 decades and it eventually caught up to me. Some of my former bandmates are nearly deaf from being exposed to loud music. Better to be safe than sorry.

Archived