Jimmy Page #3 Greatest Guitarist according to Rolling Stone

ZosofanCMR

Guitar playing is not like Olympic disc throwing, it's not clear-cut. Nonetheless, I find this list very useful since I am finding guitarists of whom I have never heard before, and that makes me want to give a listen to their work. It's a great music reference list, although Peter Buck is buried down at post #94.

And while there are opinions at the bottom of this, it's more like a poll, the results are determined by the statistical weight of responses.

Maybe because Jimmy Page isn't ranked as Number One?

Or maybe because you can't trust a shiting magazine, whose journalists think that Exile on Main Street is a masterpiece and who think that this rubbish is better than Abbey Road.

Moreover, Exile was n°7 on their list, and Physical Grafitti, n°70.......These guys have a great sense of humour!

They also believe that Freddie Mercury had "a passable pop voice".I advise them to watch Queen at the Live Aid and to list to songs such as It's a Hard Life and The Show must go on....

"Or maybe because you can't trust a shiting magazine, whose journalists think that Exile on Main Street is a masterpiece and who think that this rubbish is better than Abbey Road.

Moreover, Exile was n°7 on their list, and Physical Grafitti, n°70.......These guys have a great sense of humour!

They also believe that Freddie Mercury had "a passable pop voice".I advise them to watch Queen at the Live Aid and to list to songs such as It's a Hard Life and The Show must go on.... "

I realize it might come as a total shock to you, but there are human beings out there who never cared very much for Queen. It may also shock you completely that other human beings out there might consider Physical Graffiti to not be worthy enough to rank it as high as you wish it to be.

What passes today for Rolling Stone magazine is just further opinions voiced by certain people. Don't click on the links if it bothers you that badly.

"Or maybe because you can't trust a shiting magazine, whose journalists think that Exile on Main Street is a masterpiece and who think that this rubbish is better than Abbey Road.

They also believe that Freddie Mercury had "a passable pop voice".I advise them to watch Queen at the Live Aid and to list to songs such as It's a Hard Life and The Show must go on.... "

I realize it might come as a total shock to you, but there are human beings out there who never cared very much for Queen. It may also shock you completely that other human beings out there might consider Physical Graffiti to not be worthy enough to rank it as high as you wish it to be.

What passes today for Rolling Stone magazine is just further opinions voiced by certain people. Don't click on the links if it bothers you that badly.

When you say that Freddie Mercury has a "passable pop voice", it' not a question of taste.When you say that, you just don't hear correctly...

When you say that Freddie Mercury has a "passable pop voice", it' not a question of taste.When you say that, you just don't hear correctly...

dazedcat attributed that quote to Rolling Stone. If you read his post again, you'll find that he disagrees with that assessment:

No dazedcat was quoting me and I was quoting Rolling Stone(cf their review of A Day At The Races)

Thanks for clarifying but it doesn't really matter since the part about Mercury having a "passable voice" was originally quoted in your post, not his. You replied to dazedcat as though he was the one that said it.

Sometimes I feel like I'm caught up in the middle of an Abbott & Costello routine.

They said he had a passable pop voice, and one year later, they explained that "News of the World" was "fascist" album, and Queen the first fascist band.....

This is called stupidity or even Stupidity with a big S.

I actually think it goes beyond stupidity

This is why I always say........don't read "best of" lists. They'll always conflict with your own personal belief system in what's good or not and endless arguments result because of it.

Goldenguitar, for what it's worth I never said Mercury couldn't sing or had a passable voice. I felt just as bad as anyone when the news of his death hit the airwaves. I just really never cared for him or Queen that much as a band. You on the other hand love them.

That's fine by me, it really is. There's nothing I can say to change your mind and I wouldn't even try to. We like what we like........or don't. Yes?

This is why I always say........don't read "best of" lists. They'll always conflict with your own personal belief system in what's good or not and endless arguments result because of it.

Goldenguitar, for what it's worth I never said Mercury couldn't sing or had a passable voice. I felt just as bad as anyone when the news of his death hit the airwaves. I just really never cared for him or Queen that much as a band. You on the other hand love them.

That's fine by me, it really is. There's nothing I can say to change your mind and I wouldn't even try to. We like what we like........or don't. Yes?

That's a pretty noble reply, and a respectful one. You accepted his differences and didn't nag for an explanation of sorts. I for one LOVE Queen as well, but, it's nice to see the way you viewed and answered. Some people should take this example into account before posting- maybe they can take a lesson or two from you, on how to be tactful. But yeah, it was refreshing to read.

IMO every individual as a "Best of List" as far as music goes, and each and every one of them is just as valid as the one Rolling Stone has. Like its been mentioned before its just an opinion, I dont care how "learned" or "expert" that opinion claims itself to be.

I find lists like that informative to a degree, but I have my own choice in music and I dont give a damn if no one else is into it or not, if the music moves me than I "think its great". I dont go with whats supposed to be hip or what I should (Which is why I hate rap, disco, hip hop with a passion and would love to see the Beastie Boys in hell, damned to listen to polka music forever).

But thats just me, other folks like that crap and more power to em. The point is art is very subjective, one persons art is anothers [fill in the blank].

The good thing about lists is that they spurn discussion, just so long as the discussion remains civil. The downside is that someone always feels like so and so should be #1 and that some travesty of justice has been committed because they aren't. It's just a list, it's not worth getting all that worked up about.

The good thing about lists is that they spurn discussion, just so long as the discussion remains civil. The downside is that someone always feels like so and so should be #1 and that some travesty of justice has been committed because they aren't. It's just a list, it's not worth getting all that worked up about.

you should keep that very thought in mind when wanting to drill your opinions down someones throat after it's been repeated 1,000 times....

you should keep that very thought in mind when wanting to drill your opinions down someones throat after it's been repeated 1,000 times....

It's pretty evident at this point that you have a chip on your shoulder. You'd be doing yourself and everyone else here a huge favor if you were to lose the 'tude. It'd be greatly appreciated.

Archived