Jimmy Page #3 Greatest Guitarist according to Rolling Stone

ZosofanCMR

This topic generated some interest, so I saw Time Magazine had a list of the ten best guitarists....let's see what they came up with:

1. Hendrix

2. Slash from GNR

3. B.B. King

4. Keith Richards

5. Clapton

6. Pagey

7. Chuck Berry

8. Les Paul

9. Malmsteen

10. Prince

I have to say having Slash at 2 is interesting. His style was amazing when GNR first broke out. I like the inclusion of Les Paul and even Malmsteen.

It's all relative i guess!

Slash and Keith over Page?

Where does one start with Johnny Thunders?

Ah, if you're asking where does one start in collecting Johnny Thunders material, the place to start is the New York Dolls eponymous 1st LP and then their 2nd LP "Too Much Too Soon" and then... well, I like the 2 CD collection "Born Too Loose", it's a good overview of Johnny's Heartbreakers and his solo stuff. From there, it's pretty much hit or miss. A lot of his better material (IMO) is out of print and expensive, like the Original Heartbreakers (with Richard Hell) live at Mother's Place in 1976.

But much as I like him, Johnny Thunders doesn't have a place among the company we are discussing here, he's certainly not fit to stand in Jimmy Page's shadow, but on the other hand, he never tried.

Ah, if you're asking where does one start in collecting Johnny Thunders material....

Thanks, as that's exactly what I'm asking.

But much as I like him, Johnny Thunders doesn't have a place among the company we are discussing here, he's certainly not fit to stand in Jimmy Page's shadow, but on the other hand, he never tried.

Not a thing the matter with that. More people should never try. I'd be all about that.

Give me one reason why Richards should be in the top 10 and Blackmore or Howe not.

I'll give you several reasons:

1. "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" intro

2. "Satisfaction" distorted riff

3. Everything about "Brown Sugar" especially the first minute

Howe is brilliant. Blackmore - meh.

EDIT: Time mag ranks Slash above Jimmy Page? That's pig ignorant, no offense to pigs. Even Slash would disagree with that.

Well that's nice, I assumed you were being disparaging.

Not at all. I'm not real big on glam or punk or whatever you wanna call the New York Dolls but I'm never opposed to giving most any style of music a shot. I know of lots of artists that have mentioned Johnny Thunders as an influence so I'm not opposed at all to checking out some of his music, thanks.

Alex Lifeson ranked 98th...

:wtf:

^

I hear ya Paul, he's one of the best around-still. In that case-a poll doesn't mean much......does it.

I have a mag with Jimmy's influence on him. He sounds like a little kid, all excited when talking about Page- he admired him on so many levels - "I wanted to be like him, and think like him when I played" and in the earlier albums you can hear the influence. Not only is he a great guitarist, but a humble guy as well. His solo on Freewill has got to be one of the craziest, visually creative guitar moments on record (in rock n roll). He has a good balance of both technical ability and feel.

I'll give you several reasons:

1. "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" intro

2. "Satisfaction" distorted riff

3. Everything about "Brown Sugar" especially the first minute

Howe is brilliant. Blackmore - meh.

EDIT: Time mag ranks Slash above Jimmy Page? That's pig ignorant, no offense to pigs. Even Slash would disagree with that.

Enough said, I guess, with this:

You'll get no argument here, I love Yes (all incarnations, I have no shame!), Tell you what: replace Slash with Mr. Howe on all greatest guitarists lists, and balance will be restored to the universe.

Steve Howe always seems to get overlooked when laurels are being handed out; it's too bad. It may be b/c he's so versatile, doesn't stick to any particular genre -- of course Yes are always tagged as prog, and regarded as terminally unhip by the music press.

You'll get no argument here, I love Yes (all incarnations, I have no shame!), Tell you what: replace Slash with Mr. Howe on all greatest guitarists lists, and balance will be restored to the universe.

Steve Howe always seems to get overlooked when laurels are being handed out; it's too bad. It may be b/c he's so versatile, doesn't stick to any particular genre -- of course Yes are always tagged as prog, and regarded as terminally unhip by the music press.

Which is ironic considering Steve Howe CLEANED UP in the 70s in all those Guitar polls. Look it up...Steve Howe won multiple Guitarist of the Year awards from Guitar Player magazine. And when he didn't win, it was usually Eric Clapton. Jimmy Page DID NOT WIN a single time in Guitar Player's poll during the 70s.

Which is ironic considering Steve Howe CLEANED UP in the 70s in all those Guitar polls. Look it up...Steve Howe won multiple Guitarist of the Year awards from Guitar Player magazine. And when he didn't win, it was usually Eric Clapton. Jimmy Page DID NOT WIN a single time in Guitar Player's poll during the 70s.

Page is the greatest 70s guitarst. This is kind of excessively apparent.

Huge Pagey fan here, but Beck is better than Page. IMHO.

hurrhurrplz.png

The thing I like about Jeff Beck so much is his versatility. He's changed his style so many times, and it always comes out sounding so polished, and perfect. He might not get that much radio play anymore, but that sort of thing never bothers me. I listen to what I like because I like it, not because 10 million teenagers like it, know what I mean? He is great. In the same sense that David Gilmore is great. You don't need to show off mass techincal ability to be great. There is something about the way he plays which makes him great.

BUT then we have a Mr. Jimmy Page ( along with Richie Blackmore), he was one of the most recorded session guitarist of the 60'. The notion you have play 57 notes a second to be any good is just juvenile and also irrelevant when it comes to Page which is why he prevails over these shredding fucks. I don't even need to go into further detail about Jimmy I'm on a LZ forum, we all know to well about Jimmy.

hurrhurrplz.png

The thing I like about Jeff Beck so much is his versatility. He's changed his style so many times, and it always comes out sounding so polished, and perfect. He might not get that much radio play anymore, but that sort of thing never bothers me. I listen to what I like because I like it, not because 10 million teenagers like it, know what I mean? He is great. In the same sense that David Gilmore is great. You don't need to show off mass techincal ability to be great. There is something about the way he plays which makes him great.

BUT then we have a Mr. Jimmy Page ( along with Richie Blackmore), he was one of the most recorded session guitarist of the 60'. The notion you have play 57 notes a second to be any good is just juvenile and also irrelevant when it comes to Page which is why he prevails over these shredding fucks. I don't even need to go into further detail about Jimmy I'm on a LZ forum, we all know to well about Jimmy.

I can't understand how Blackmore beats Beck.

Blackmore doesn't beat Beck, I just mentioned that Blackmore was equally as used for as many sessions in the sixties as Jimmy was.

I don't think as many as Page. JPJ once told a inteviewer that Blackmore only did sessions once in a while.

This is what he said:

(Ritchie) Blackmore is another guy I don’t like. He was supposed to have been a big session man but he must have done demos because he was never a regular session man. I’m getting out all my pet hates.

Source: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/rock_chronicles/rock_chronicles_1970s_john_paul_jones.html

• 9 months later...

cover.jpg

Willie Nelson

The Dec. 2012 Texas Monthly Magazine

Django Reinhardt's influence on Willie's playing style is discussed, along with an extensive history of "Trigger", Willie's 40+ year old traveling companion, his Martin Guitar.

Also recalled,is how Willie got his big break with a recording contract with Atlantic, offered by Jerry Wexler, after a late night performance at a songwrtier's home in Nashville.

Archived