Jimmy Page #3 Greatest Guitarist according to Rolling Stone

ZosofanCMR

It's pretty evident at this point that you have a chip on your shoulder. You'd be doing yourself and everyone else here a huge favor if you were to lose the 'tude. It'd be greatly appreciated.

Don't include anyone else into this buddy. Your the only one I have a problem with...boy, your smart. Thing is, you tend to always make it a point to persuade me into explaining my opinions to you more than I should. You enjoy it. And for the record, if you look around (which you most certainly do) you have NO major LOVE or fanbase here either. I have NO problem with anyone disagreeing and having their own opinion, regardless if it is or isn't worded the way I would have done it. However, the same cannot be said about you...which is where my problem begins and ends, because YOU constanly lurk-when not needed. I respect and welcome anyone elses comments besides your own, because in other members cases it's done with taste. The same cannot be said for you-unless you choose to play the Innocent role- only after you've annoyed someone to death. So my problem is with you and you alone. And just remember this-you chose this route , not me.

interesting list... a few names I wouldn't expect... like Lou Reed. I always considered him more of a singer / lyricist than a guitarist.

Nice to see Derek Trucks at 16 ... strange to see amazing players like Lyndsey Buckingham at #100, alex lifeson at #98 and Joe Satriani not making the list while Willie Nelson does... Willie is a great talent, I just don't think of him as this groundbreaking guitarist.

Jimmy at #3 is well deserved.

i agree it's all opinion.

interesting list... a few names I wouldn't expect... like Lou Reed. I always considered him more of a singer / lyricist than a guitarist.

Nice to see Derek Trucks at 16 ... strange to see amazing players like Lyndsey Buckingham at #100, alex lifeson at #98 and Joe Satriani not making the list while Willie Nelson does... Willie is a great talent, I just don't think of him as this groundbreaking guitarist.

Jimmy at #3 is well deserved.

i agree it's all opinion.

Yeah, at least the list has changed from the last few. I've tried several times to appreciate Clapton's playing but I just can't get into his style. From a guitarist standpoint, he's an excellent player and has a fine technique but he's never been a favorite of mine. He has done alot for the evolution of guitar though. I regard Jimmy Page and David Gilmore along with Alex Lifeson as my top 3. I love Gilmore's playing as it reminds me much of Page's approach. The notes he hits seem to fit perfectly into a song as if the notes were meant to be there at just that exact moment. He's not flashy, (yet, he can be) but his style is in the pocket and feel of the song. Thats my kind of players. Less flash and more feel. "Since I've been Loving You" on Zep 3 is a prime example of that.

There is a difference between the 'greatest' and the 'best'. Its easy to confuse the two, but they are very different words.

great·er, great·est

1. Very large in size.

2. Larger in size than others of the same kind.

3. Large in quantity or number: A great throng awaited us. See Synonyms at large.

4. Extensive in time or distance: a great delay.

5. Remarkable or outstanding in magnitude, degree, or extent: a great crisis.

6. Of outstanding significance or importance: a great work of art.

7. Chief or principal: the great house on the estate.

8. Superior in quality or character; noble: "For he was great, ere fortune made him so" (John Dryden).

9. Powerful; influential: one of the great nations of the West.

10. Eminent; distinguished: a great leader.

11. Grand; aristocratic.

When taken in literal context, the list isn't that far off the mark.

I for one, couldn't give two shits about a list of the greatest or best of anything. I know what I like, and thats all that matters.

:3stooges:

My favorite guitar player isn't even on the list. But it makes no difference to me. Everyone has a favorite which is different from person to person.

It's just a list and while it has some of my other favorites, I would not rank them in the same order.

:3stooges:

My favorite guitar player isn't even on the list. But it makes no difference to me. Everyone has a favorite which is different from person to person.

It's just a list and while it has some of my other favorites, I would not rank them in the same order.

So who is your favorite guitarist? Don't leave us in suspense! :Thinking:

My personal top 3 would be JP (of course) Hendrix and Jeff Beck at 2 and 3. The latter two in any order.

I took a look at other lists, for comparison purposes.

There is a list by Time magazine, published in 2009. While Time includes only 10 guitarists (versus Rolling Stone's 100) I believe the comparison is helpful because Hendrix, Page and Clapton are on both lists. The results of this brief comparative analysis: 1) Hendrix is #1 on both lists; 2) Clapton is ahead of Page on both lists.

http://www.time.com/...1921910,00.html

In 2002, Guitar World magazine published the book Guitar World Presents the 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time. While I don't have access to this book, I had access to a list published by the magazine in 2004, the 100 greatest Heavy Metal players. While this is a heavy metal list versus Rolling Stone's generalist list (pardon the redundancy) I believe the comparison is appropriate, since two of the subjects of interest (Hendrix and Page) are on both lists.

Guitar World's Heavy Metal list ranks Page higher than Hendrix.

Finally there's the "The 50 Greatest Guitarists... Ever!" by gigwise.com. On this list, published in 2008, Hendrix is again #1, Page #2 and Clapton appears at #6.

In conclusion, Hendrix is ranked consistently, in various lists (3 out of 4) as number #1 all time guitarist. On the other hand, all of these lists, just as Rolling Stone's caused controversy at the time of their publication.

Very interesting Driver8. Consistency does help with lists. It may make them more accurate, but then again that is just an opinion like all these lists.

Careful, or next thing you know some of these folks will be accusing you of being a "troll".

So who is your favorite guitarist? Don't leave us in suspense! :Thinking:

My personal top 3 would be JP (of course) Hendrix and Jeff Beck at 2 and 3. The latter two in any order.

All time being up to and including the present. I really have fallen in love with the music of this man as it is current and not a memory of what was in the past. Not that I don't still love Jimmy or Jimi or any of the others in the past who have given me pleasure musically speaking.

I call bullsh-t on all rankings of guitarists. They only make me mad. To me, Jimmy will always be number one. That's my opinion & I am sticking to it.

Also, I think Ric Ocasek & Elliot Easton are WAY underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCXkAN28urU

Yes, some really good guitar work. The first solo was really nice. God, I never realized up until this video-what a pop song that is. Always thought it was more rock and roll until now. You can totally hear how it influenced the pop bands of today. Listen how he sings the tune, it's very pop oriented.

Yes, some really good guitar work. The first solo was really nice. God, I never realized up until this video-what a pop song that is. Always thought it was more rock and roll until now. You can totally hear how it influenced the pop bands of today. Listen how he sings the tune, it's very pop oriented.

Yes, it is pop but they could probably twist it another way & it could be rock. Maybe I'm wrong for saying that, but, I believe they could.

All time being up to and including the present. I really have fallen in love with the music of this man as it is current and not a memory of what was in the past. Not that I don't still love Jimmy or Jimi or any of the others in the past who have given me pleasure musically speaking.

He's a lot like Jimmy.... Mach 10

This guy can play anything.

Jimi Hendrix is number one. Jimmy should be number 2 because he was influenced by Jimi. He also did his own thing. So, it's cool company.

??? Don't think Page was influenced that much by Hendrix at all. He admired his playing, but Jimi Hendrix did not influence Page's playing. Page has stated plenty of times over that he was influenced by Scotty Moore, Muddy Waters, Bert Jansch, James Burton, Django Reinhardt, etc. Hendrix was experimental in sound and used plenty of foot pedals (guitar pedals) to create a wide range of tones, but Page was a much more varied guitar player and just as experimental. So it's all a matter of taste, and what you like but for the record, Hendrix was not a major influence on Page- Page had his own style of playing way before Hendrix came into the picture. He was a session musician since the mid-60's.

Joe is a phenomenal player and I'd probably put him in my top ten. Actually, most certainly. He is great with BCC, but his cover of Tea For One is pretty unbelievable. To me, the best Zep cover ever! :thumbsup:

Unless I somehow missed it, I found it strange that Steve Howe of Yes was omitted. Quite a brilliant player, influential and virtuoso. I think it was Guitar Player that had him as their Guitarist of the Year for several years back in the late 70's and early 80's. I seem to recall this. He's certainly one of my favorites and can't believe, he's not listed. :thumbdown:

Joe is a phenomenal player and I'd probably put him in my top ten. Actually, most certainly. He is great with BCC, but his cover of Tea For One is pretty unbelievable. To me, the best Zep cover ever! :thumbsup:

Unless I somehow missed it, I found it strange that Steve Howe of Yes was omitted. Quite a brilliant player, influential and virtuoso. I think it was Guitar Player that had him as their Guitarist of the Year for several years back in the late 70's and early 80's. I seem to recall this. He's certainly one of my favorites and can't believe, he's not listed. :thumbdown:

I did not see his name on the list.

Just for a fun exercise for discussion, Joe did his own list and did have Steve Howe on his list.

As much as I love Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page, I agree a million percent with Rolling Stone magazine's choice of declaring Jimi Hendrix as "the Greatest Guitarist of All Time". I do believe that the man deserves the title and it is on this rare occassion that I am in absolute agreement with a list compiled by Rolling Stone magazine. I firmly believe that Hendrix was far far far ahead of his time and a pioneer in his own right! Perhaps some Zep Heads might disagree with me a 100% and will argue that Jimmy Page deserves the title of "greatest guitarist of all time". This rather exhausting debate could go on for all eternity. All these lists are subjective and each person's view point depends on their tastes. But I still can't help but feel happy that Hendrix is no. 1 on that list! :DB)

Archived