Jimmy Page #3 Greatest Guitarist according to Rolling Stone

ZosofanCMR

What "bitterness"? It is also not in the least bit odd or weird to be a fan of another artist (whether be the Beatles, the Stones, the Beach Boys, Pink Floyd, Neil Younger or whoever) and to also belong to a Led Zeppelin board. If each and every one one of us here considered Led Zeppelin to be our favorite band, they're be no need for the Other Bands forum. What's odd and weird and is you singling me out for your inquisition.

A new member singling out an older member? Where I have seen this movie before? Methinks we have a re-tread in our midst.

Quick, don't give away the ending.

I admit that Zeppelin is my favorite band. But like others here I enjoy a variety of music. I learned about so many other musicians from Led Zeppelin..and from this forum.

As I have stated in the past I am not a fan of Rolling Stone magazine, so they put out another list...does not matter to me as I have my favorite and no magazine poll or person can change my opinion. :peace:

I admit that Zeppelin is my favorite band. But like others here I enjoy a variety of music. I learned about so many other musicians from Led Zeppelin..and from this forum.

As I have stated in the past I am not a fan of Rolling Stone magazine, so they put out another list...does not matter to me as I have my favorite and no magazine poll or person can change my opinion. :peace:

I strongly agree with you. 100%

It's not like Jimmy Page wasn't listed at all or came in dead last, the folks that compiled the poll placed him at #3. Of course, on a board devoted to Led Zeppelin people are going to want to see him in the #1 slot but in the end it really doesn't matter. What matters most is where you'd place Page on your own individual polls of favorite guitar players. In other words, getting all worked up about Page coming in at #3 is much ado about nothing.

I can't think of anyone else who has done as much to contribute to the world of rock music more than-or on a level such as Jimmy Page. From some of the most memorable guitar riffs, to his compositions and odd tunings, diverse solo's, arrangement, structure, performance and let us not forget Producer-he is the all around "jack of guitar" Nobody has been as well rounded as Page. You can discuss all day, who is your favorite or who is better, but that's all opinion based on what your ears, mind and emotions tell you. But the FACT is, no single guitarist has been as versatile as Page. And his solo's (like em or not) are some of the most bizzare, otherworldly, emotional and passionate playing on record-regardless of his technique-it's all in a note.

I have yet to hear one person being worked up about Page coming in at # 3;)

Speaking for myself, I won't get worked up about the #3 slot, because to me he is my favorite. No need to take it to that level of "getting worked up" because it doesn't change the list, or the opinions of those who agree with the list as it is. Also, there are plenty of other things that I get much more worked up about-like careless drivers, welfare leeches, the government, etc. The remastered box set is in my CD player-that's all I know. But to answer your post, I'd have to put him at the top if I had my say in it.

I have yet to hear one person being worked up about Page coming in at # 3;)

Maybe because #3 isn't an insult. #100 out of 100 would be an insult. Being left off the list would be an insult. Top 3? That's very, very good. Good Lord, I'm the biggest Pink Floyd fan you're going to find on these forums and even I don't think David Gilmour should be #1. He's a great guitarist, I love listening to him play, but I can recognize that as good as he is, and as great as the stuff he did with the Floyd (and solo) was, there were people even that much better.

I can be a fan and be honest at the same time, basically.

Maybe because #3 isn't an insult. #100 out of 100 would be an insult. Being left off the list would be an insult. Top 3? That's very, very good. Good Lord, I'm the biggest Pink Floyd fan you're going to find on these forums and even I don't think David Gilmour should be #1. He's a great guitarist, I love listening to him play, but I can recognize that as good as he is, and as great as the stuff he did with the Floyd (and solo) was, there were people even that much better.

I can be a fan and be honest at the same time, basically.

I love David Gilmore as well. I regard his solo's to be similar to JP's playing, because they (both) always seem to play the right notes at the right time. Less flash and more feel. That's how I roll!!!

Right, and Ritchie Blackmore 50th?

Yeah , I know -it doesn't look or seem right. I think his influence on this generation and decades past, with the body of work he created along with his excellent guitar playing should have put him at least in the top 20 if not higher. He's a top 10 for me. That's why you can't take these kind of polls too seriously. It'll never be what you think it should be for all canidates involved. Blackmore's solo's are some of the finest. He had a blusey way of playing but it was very aggressive. He was also techically advanced to a point of probably surpassing Jeff Beck and Page-not to say I enjoy his solo's more, but they are impressive to listen to. You can hear his Page and Beck influence in his playing for sure. He was a little more flash than feel.

My friend stopped over tonight and told me he went to Walmart and looked over the latest Rolling Stone with the Greatest Guitarists list and was offended. He became so upset at the list looking it over in the store that he crumbled the magazine and threw it at a shelf or something in the store. Security came and told him he would have to pay for the magazine but my upset friend refused, saying he would not pay for that crap and how bad it was. So he left the store and didn't have to pay for the magazine that just pissed him off alot, I got a good laugh when he told me about it.

My friend stopped over tonight and told me he went to Walmart and looked over the latest Rolling Stone with the Greatest Guitarists list and was offended. He became so upset at the list looking it over in the store that he crumbled the magazine and threw it at a shelf or something in the store. Security came and told him he would have to pay for the magazine but my upset friend refused, saying he would not pay for that crap and how bad it was. So he left the store and didn't have to pay for the magazine that just pissed him off alot, I got a good laugh when he told me about it.

Probably a little too much to make of some music poll. Not worth it. What matters is your own opinion and who you like and what their music does for you.

Screw Rolling Stone: Joe Bonamassa picks his own Top Guitarists of All Time

by Steve Newton on December 11, 2011 at 4:00 PM

"I could tell you who’d been my number one influence overall on guitar," he offered. "As an artist, singer-songwriter, overall, probably Eric Clapton, single-most. Second would be Paul Kosoff. Third would be Jeff Beck. Fourth would be probably Jimmy Page. Fifth would be Peter Green. And then Mick Taylor, and then Rory Gallagher, and then Danny Gatton. So those are my cats right there."

http://www.straight....arists-all-time

Danny Gatton is considered by many to be one of the best guitar players that ever lived (he committed suicide in 1994) but you don't always see him making these kinds of lists. Here he is playing at a Holiday Inn in Arlington, VA circa 1987. By the way, I think he first came to my attention via an episode of Austin City Limits back in the early 90s.

That's an understatement!

it's the guy I wrote about who went to see Jimmy Page's Outrider tour on a friend's wedding night, he was the best man,and also the one who introduced his wife to him, they left the during the reception in their wedding suits with the tin cans dragging and the 'Just Married' sign on the car heading to see Jimmy Page. I was with him at a friends and we were all three talking and I had to bring slot cars into the conversation at one point, and they both started bragging about their slots cars set,and it became a contest between them, seeing who had the best set. Here's a picture of my friend's ho slot car ceiling track in his apartment.Sorry the qualitly isn't the best but lol...

08_31_0.jpg

seans9-11-09017-2.jpg

seans9-11-09023-2.jpg

First picture is from the ceiling, you have to stand on the kitchen counter to race, second picture is another ceiling shot, it's mostly covered, but you can part of a Led Zeppelin 'Remasters' plack underneath it, and the third picture you can't see the track but you can see the wood framing underneath it hanging from the ceiling and the ornaments, It weighs alot, It runs right over his big screen tv and home stereo system, .He was working on it alone with his roomate sleeping and it dropped on his shoulders, and he sat holding it up for a half hour or something yelling for his roomate, he has so many things that would have been destroyed if it dropped,That track run throughout the apartment, above and around the living room, the dining room, and the hallway. I guess my friend can get set on something,but he's good guy and he's funny.

The 50 Most Underappreciated Guitarists, Part 1

In response to Rolling Stone's recent 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time list, which criminally ignored some of the most important guitarists in recent memory and added insult to injury by listing many that don't even deserve mention, we decided to come up with our own. The latest episode of Progopolis represents part 1 of a 3-part series counting down the individuals who we consider to be the 50 most underappreciated, underrated, and generally overlooked guitarists in rock and prog history. Some of our choices may cause you to scratch your chin, others to pump your fists in agreement. Hopefully, our decision to force you to listen to the podcast to discover our choices won't tick you off too much. Besides, spoilers suck! This episode of Progopolis also features the world premiere of a track from the forthcoming album by GRICE, as well as a brand new track from Kate Bush's recently released 50 Words For Snow.

Download the podcast in MP3 format or listen in streaming audio now by going here:

http://www.thedividingline.com/p

The 50 Most Underappreciated Guitarists, Part 2

On the latest episode of Progopolis, we continue the countdown for our selection of the 50 most underappreciated, underrated, and generally overlooked guitarists in the world and deliver a spiteful "Take THAT, Rolling Stone!" to the creators of the top 100 list that inspired the theme. If you're dying to find out who our top 10 choices will be, make sure to tune in live on Saturday, December 17, where we'll perform the last great reveal and quite possibly deliver a shock to your senses so severe that it'll take you weeks to recover. You've been warned! This week's episode also features music from the exciting debut release by Hess & Franzen.

Download the podcast or listen in streaming audio at http://www.thedividingline.com/p

I'm cool with Jimi Hendrix being listed as the No. 1 Greatest Guitarist.

Jimmy Page was chosen as one of four guitarists to grace the cover that RS issue.

I didn't like the picture they used. It's from 1985 (JFK ?), and Jimmy's Greatest contribution to music was before 1985.... during his Led Zeppelin years. With just a little effort, RS could have posted a Zeppelin era photo of Jimmy.

To put Jimmy on the cover is good enough, to get a new music fan interested, and they will eventually find their way into Zeppelin's music, where the Gold Mine is. They'll figure it out for themselves then.

Many of the songs chosen by RS to represent the Greatest Guitarists are "Big Hits" songs. For example, I believe Joe Perry of Aerosmith, is a great guitarist, not because of a "Hit" - "Walk This Way", but instead because of his work in songs like "Nobody's Fault" and "Back In The Saddle". So RS picks the greatest guitarists for all the wrong reasons, as is to be expected. They get some right, and others they don't.

Amazing to see Rush Alex Lifeson so near the end of the list. I like his guitar work sooooooo much better than say, Bonnie Raitt's. But RS has their darlings, and that's just the way it is!

I couldn't even find this issue of RS when it came out. So I called RS for a copy & of course, it's on back order. Trust me, I don't really like RS, but, I wanted it simply because Jimmy is on the cover & I made sure I got the one with him on the cover. Lot's of super talented guitarists didn't even make the cut. It's such ashame that they go "unrecognized"..

I couldn't even find this issue of RS when it came out. So I called RS for a copy & of course, it's on back order. Trust me, I don't really like RS, but, I wanted it simply because Jimmy is on the cover & I made sure I got the one with him on the cover. Lot's of super talented guitarists didn't even make the cut. It's such ashame that they go "unrecognized"..

I hope they're able to help you out but it's been my experience as a subscriber that if I miss an issue, rather than sending me the one I missed, they just extend the subscription. As for the list itself, no one publication (including Rolling Stone) is ever going to post a list of anything (whether be bands, guitarists, drummers, bassists, etc.) that is to everyone's satisfaction.

I hope they're able to help you out but it's been my experience as a subscriber that if I miss an issue, rather than sending me the one I missed, they just extend the subscription. As for the list itself, no one publication (including Rolling Stone) is ever going to post a list of anything (whether be bands, guitarists, drummers, bassists, etc.) that is to everyone's satisfaction.

Yes they did help me out. I should receive it probably after Christmas. I am not sure how much a copy is off the newsstand, but, I paid $15 for this one. Which to me is a little expensive for a magazine. I don't know maybe not....? I also agree with you on the list situation. People are going to have their own opinions. They always will.

Yes they did help me out. I should receive it probably after Christmas. I am not sure how much a copy is off the newsstand, but, I paid $15 for this one. Which to me is a little expensive for a magazine. I don't know maybe not....? I also agree with you on the list situation. People are going to have their own opinions. They always will.

I'm glad they were able to help you out. Considering issues of Rolling Stone go for $4.99 these days, that is a bit pricey. I guess it just depends on how much you really want it.

I couldn't even find this issue of RS when it came out. So I called RS for a copy & of course, it's on back order. Trust me, I don't really like RS, but, I wanted it simply because Jimmy is on the cover & I made sure I got the one with him on the cover. Lot's of super talented guitarists didn't even make the cut. It's such a shame that they go "unrecognized"..

I saw the both the Jimmy & Jimi covers at Wal-Mart, my favorite store !! :)

At the Supermarket, there was only the Jimi cover.

Archived