Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Mudslider

Songs played at every show since inception

I think there could only be one song played every show after inception because of the shortened shows of Milan, Chicago, and Nuremberg in 71, 77, and 80. Nobody's Fault But Mine.

Forgot about Tampa but NFBM was played at that gig so it seems that the only answer is still that one.

The short answer is if you include the reunion shows in 1985, 1988 and 2007 along with shows that were cut short for various reasons, there isn't a single song that was played at every show since its inception.

If you include the reunions and disregard the shows known to have been cut short then only 1 song is the answer.

If you disregard the reunions and include the shows known to have been cut short for various reasons then only 1 song is the answer again.

If you disregard both then 6 songs are eligible from their inception until July 7, 1980.

The shows cut short that we have recordings for are the following

July 3, 1971 Milan, Italy due to rioting in the crowd

July 18, 1973 Vancouver, Canada due to Plant being high on LSD

April 9, 1977 Chicago, Il due to illness (Page)

June 3, 1977 Tampa, FL due to weather (lightning)

June 27, 1980 Nuremberg, Germany due to illness (Bonham)

Lets see if you guys can figure out the songs with the information given. This is all based on known recordings. I will give you one hint, Rock And Roll is not 1 of the 6 songs. There are at least 2 shows I can think of that it was not played at between 71 - 80, the first is June 13, 1977 New York and the second is July 24, 1979 Copenhagen.

Edited by weedwacker

^^^Thanks for the tip, Led Zep Girl, but I don't think 4 quadruple shots of espresso could help me get through this thread.

Let's see, Inception came out in 2010, and the band has not played any gigs since then...hence, no songs have been played.

Call me pedantic if you want, but it's poorly conceived or worded thread topics like this that give me a headache. I used to work with a group of people where I was the only Led Zeppelin fan; the others were fans of the Beatles, the Who, U2, Dylan. Their idea of a Zeppelin fan was an illiterate stoner and to illustrate their point, they would point to some nonsense on some Zeppelin board...either here or some other site.

Of course, my retort was anybody who believed that some scribblings on the internet was a representative sample of ALL Led Zeppelin fans had a few screws loose. I also wagered that I could go on any message board of the Beatles or the Who and probably find just as many examples of convoluted syntax, illogical discussions, and poor spelling.

Unfortunately old habits die hard. Led Zeppelin fans have always been classified as stoner losers by the supposedly more erudite Beatles-Dylan-Who crowd; even Pink Floyd fans look down on us and I saw way more drug use at Floyd shows than at Zeppelin gigs.

Yeah, I'm off-topic...but this topic's premise was flawed from the start anyway.

^^^Thanks for the tip, Led Zep Girl, but I don't think 4 quadruple shots of espresso could help me get through this thread.

Let's see, Inception came out in 2010, and the band has not played any gigs since then...hence, no songs have been played.

Call me pedantic if you want, but it's poorly conceived or worded thread topics like this that give me a headache. I used to work with a group of people where I was the only Led Zeppelin fan; the others were fans of the Beatles, the Who, U2, Dylan. Their idea of a Zeppelin fan was an illiterate stoner and to illustrate their point, they would point to some nonsense on some Zeppelin board...either here or some other site.

Of course, my retort was anybody who believed that some scribblings on the internet was a representative sample of ALL Led Zeppelin fans had a few screws loose. I also wagered that I could go on any message board of the Beatles or the Who and probably find just as many examples of convoluted syntax, illogical discussions, and poor spelling.

Unfortunately old habits die hard. Led Zeppelin fans have always been classified as stoner losers by the supposedly more erudite Beatles-Dylan-Who crowd; even Pink Floyd fans look down on us and I saw way more drug use at Floyd shows than at Zeppelin gigs.

Yeah, I'm off-topic...but this topic's premise was flawed from the start anyway.

:thumbsup:

You said it, I didn't. Even the original poster's attempt to further clarify what they meant only proved to be more confusing. Glad I wasn't alone in thinking that.

"All My Love in 1980. ( ITTOD was released after the 1979 Knebworth gigs wasn't it?) "

no it was played at Knebworth as a soon to be relieased song.

"All My Love in 1980. ( ITTOD was released after the 1979 Knebworth gigs wasn't it?) "

no it was played at Knebworth as a soon to be relieased song.

WTF? Stop smoking crack. "All My Love" was only played on the 1980 tour. It wasn't played at Knebworth nor at the Copenhagen warm-ups.

Well this thread is pretty damn pedantic. Incidents like Milan, Chicago 1977 etc. were unforseen.

Wasn't WLL skipped a few times in 77, and i dont think its on the very last Earls court show from 75.

I believe Stairway is really it. Every single show since its creation.

Certainly not Dazed whoever said that.

No song came even a little close to have been played at every show lol. Dazed and Confused was played at many but skipped often 75-, Communication Breakdown was only used as random encores for the most part of 73-, I would say Whole Lotta Love (which came out months after Zep started) was possibly played the most which was likely 9/10 shows since it was an easy song to play even when Page had an injured finger from time to time, but I could be very wrong..

Stairway comes closest to qualifying more being played at every show since it's inception/release if all shows which were incomplete are assumed to have had it played (which they should be), and if reunions are counted. I say comes closest because it wasn't played at their Hall Of Fame induction in '95 if I'm not mistaken.

Some people were wondering which song was played the most; that title belongs to Dazed And Confused. That's according to www.theyearofledzeppelin.com, which only references shows from which there is a recording. Of the shows with a recording, Dazed is the only one that was played more than 200 times. Stairway and WLL are very close, so we can make a pretty fair assumption that with the amount of missing recordings from years in which those two were major fixtures in the set, they were probably also played more than 200 times. However, Dazed was a major fixture in the set for all of those missing shows, with the exception of the missing seven from '77 and any from '80 that I don't know about, which means it was probably played the most no matter how you slice it.

Now I'm nervous that Strider will find a grammatical error in my post :S

Maybe no song was played every show since inception but I think Communication Breakdown has been played more than any other, most shows ended with it

I surmise that the OP meant from inception to mean from the release of each song on an album vs. the inception of the band.

Wasn't WLL skipped a few times in 77, and i dont think its on the very last Earls court show from 75.

I believe Stairway is really it. Every single show since its creation.

Certainly not Dazed whoever said that.

Was STH going to be dropped for the 1980 US Tour ? ? ? ?

I surmise that the OP meant from inception to mean from the release of each song on an album vs. the inception of the band.

That's certainly how I understood it...

Stairway comes closest to qualifying more being played at every show since it's inception/release if all shows which were incomplete are assumed to have had it played (which they should be), and if reunions are counted. I say comes closest because it wasn't played at their Hall Of Fame induction in '95 if I'm not mistaken.

Some people were wondering which song was played the most; that title belongs to Dazed And Confused. That's according to www.theyearofledzeppelin.com, which only references shows from which there is a recording. Of the shows with a recording, Dazed is the only one that was played more than 200 times. Stairway and WLL are very close, so we can make a pretty fair assumption that with the amount of missing recordings from years in which those two were major fixtures in the set, they were probably also played more than 200 times. However, Dazed was a major fixture in the set for all of those missing shows, with the exception of the missing seven from '77 and any from '80 that I don't know about, which means it was probably played the most no matter how you slice it.

Now I'm nervous that Strider will find a grammatical error in my post :S

Now wait a minute...when have I ever taken you to task on grammar? Or taken anyone to task, for that matter? I make grammatical errors myself...constantly.

I used to get annoyed at spelling mistakes and glaring errors and the you/you're, to/too, were/we're, etc. misuses. But I realize that horse has left the barn long ago.

The only thing I concern myself with is factual errors.

Now wait a minute...when have I ever taken you to task on grammar? Or taken anyone to task, for that matter? I make grammatical errors myself...constantly.

I used to get annoyed at spelling mistakes and glaring errors and the you/you're, to/too, were/we're, etc. misuses. But I realize that horse has left the barn long ago.

The only thing I concern myself with is factual errors.

Oh no Strider, I wasn't suggesting you ever have, I was just joking around because of your criticism of the author(?)'s somewhat confusing original post. I share your frustration with factual errors.

Oh no Strider, I wasn't suggesting you ever have, I was just joking around because of your criticism of the author(?)'s somewhat confusing original post. I share your frustration with factual errors.

See what I mean about "out of sight, out of mind"? I had completely forgot about my earlier post that you referred to and had to go back to refresh my memory.

So okay...if your grammatical errors or garbled syntax make your post confusing to the average reader, then yes, I am liable to remark upon it or ignore it altogether. Especially if it is the Thread Topic header and original post.

It's one thing to make mistakes in the hustle-and-flow of a lively discussion within the thread. That is understandable. But I cannot understand people who start threads who don't even take the time and care to make sure they are correct and readable. There's a thread in the Random Section that mispells 'Cassettes' with one 's'.

I know it's overly picky of me and won't win me any friends, but I sometimes feel that lazy language signifies lazy thinking...which signifies lazy threads.

It's a personality flaw of mine. :bagoverhead:

Anyway, back on topic, if I didn't mention it before, I think it is obvious that "Nobody's Fault But Mine", "In the Evening" and "Hot Dog" are the winners. The two ITTOD songs being performed at every 1979-80 show, and NFBM being performed at all 1977-80 shows, including the ones that were cut short in Chicago and Tampa in 1977. That's one reason why Kashmir and Stairway cannot be on the list.

The answer is NFBM. Hot Dog and ITE were not played at Nuremberg.

The answer is NFBM, that is the only song played at every show since a new song's inception.

Every other potential tune is knocked out due to Chicago and Tampa '77 and Nuremberg '80.

This thread is bananas.

The answer is NFBM.

Edited by ListenToThis