Oxford American's Annual Southern Music Issue

Jahfin

I've yet to procure a copy for myself but I just wanted to give everyone a heads up for what always turns out to be some of the finest reading and listening I do every year. For those unfamiliar with the Oxford American's annual Southern Music issue, they all come with a Southern Music sampler CD full of songs that were handpicked by the editor. I got hooked back in '99 when they included an alternate version of R.E.M.'s "Why Not Smile?" on the sampler and haven't missed an issue since. As of 2009 they started dedicating the entire issue (and CD) to a state. The first year it was Arkansas, last year it was Alabama, this year it's Mississippi. For more info on the current issue click on the image below.

230_295_OA75_COVER_RGB.jpg

• 8 months later...

What a shame. One of the few magazines I regularly enjoyed reading. This looks ugly.

I do hope they're somehow able to sort it out and that it doesn't lead to the demise of the magazine. A friend of mine that lives in Oxford says that this has actually been going for quite a while, unfortunately.

Archived