Examining rhythmic and metric practices in LZ's musical style

kenog

Great read and it exemplifies the true goal and nature of what Led Zeppelin was. Only through such scholarly analysis by TRUE musicians can one both appreciate and understand Led Zeppelin. Many claim they "stole" but this peer reviewed paper proves their originality. The quote by Robert Palmer near the end says it all and destroys any claim that Zeppelin ever stole anything musically. Some early lyrics (whole Lotta Love) yes, but music, no way whatsoever.

Great read and it exemplifies the true goal and nature of what Led Zeppelin was. Only through such scholarly analysis by TRUE musicians can one both appreciate and understand Led Zeppelin. Many claim they "stole" but this peer reviewed paper proves their originality. The quote by Robert Palmer near the end says it all and destroys any claim that Zeppelin ever stole anything musically. Some early lyrics (whole Lotta Love) yes, but music, no way whatsoever.

'Sagittarius Rising'

I am really glad you liked it. I am not a musician myself, therefore my understanding of it is limited somewhat. I was pleased that someone discussed LZ's music from an academic musician's perspective. :beer:

Looks interesting, but seems a bit brief to really get into the subject.

I've only had a chance to skim it so far, not get into a proper study, but I'm not sure I'd agree with what he says about Custard Pie - I think he's projecting: I've never heard it as an illusory anacrusis, as he describes, and I 've never heard anyone mention hearing it like that.

Also there are other songs that I would really have expected to be mentioned in a discussion of Zep's "rhythmic & metric practice".

Still, always good to see a serious look at the music, and I'll save judgement untill II've had time to read it through properly.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nicely done thanks for sharing that paper. I often get a laugh at some guys at the music shop who buy a guitar and a few tabs, no real muiscal experience and get with their buddies buy a drum kit and a bass guitar and think they are going to make music the next day. Very few stay with it long enough to learn everything they need to make it work. And don't take the time either take a lesson read about music theory at least understand how to play in key.

Those of you who are just starting out playing. Here's the deal be patient read and study everything you can listen to all kinds of different music. Not many great bands made it without a working knowledge of how music goes together. It takes time and honestly if you read this paper and you feel lost. There are several music books for Guitar, or bass and or drums, that will teach you everything that he mentions in less than 200 pages with play along cd's and examples. So just don't get discouraged and give up when it gets difficult. It will take you much longer to master the information than it takes you to read it the first time but trust me its well worth the time and it will make you a much better personally and as a band.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RedZeppBalloon,

You are very welcome - my pleasure :wave:. Best of luck with your college assignment.

Doing an essay on this sort of stuff for college work! Thank You So Much! :D

kenog,

Many thanks for sharing this! As a former orch dork/band geek who's suffered through many a tortuous music theory class, it always fascinates me to see these types of topics explored in popular music. I think it's also a testament to Zep's greatness that their compositions can be explored so comprehensively and intricately.

Looking forward to reading the paper in more depth, but I thought the author was spot on with these comments.

Led Zeppelin’s ability to transform pre-existing genres (funk as seen in ‘The Crunge’), riffs or formal models (‘Black Dog’), and songs (‘Dazed and Confused’) through their unique approach to rhythm and metre is – along with other musical parameters such as timbre and instrumentation – an important component of the band’s individual style. The various rhythmic and metric tendencies employed by the band function as key musical-stylistic ‘stamps’ signifying Led Zeppelin’s style that are instantly identifiable even as they borrow or develop earlier musical genres, models or songs.

Hi Lightandshade :wave: ,

You are so welcome!! When I first posted this, I didn't know if anyone would be interested because there are plenty of people on here who can play an instrument perfectly well, but I felt that this article was geared towards trained musicians who can read music. I agree with you that it is testament to the quality of the music that LZ produced that it can be explored in this way.

Take care.

kenog,

Many thanks for sharing this! As a former orch dork/band geek who's suffered through many a tortuous music theory class, it always fascinates me to see these types of topics explored in popular music. I think it's also a testament to Zep's greatness that their compositions can be explored so comprehensively and intricately.

Looking forward to reading the paper in more depth, but I thought the author was spot on with these comments.

Archived