Recommedations - Going to Italy

Rock Historian

I will be traveling to Italy for the Christmas and New Years holidays. I've never been out of the country before, so I'm very anxious and looking forward to it. We (family and I) will be staying in Rome for most of (or the entire) trip.

Curious to know if there are any members here that reside in Italy/Rome or anyone who may have traveled there that can provide me with any good spots to eat, explore, etc. Any good music shops, shopping. (We already have some things planned in the area we are staying)

If you can provide or recommend any locations worth visiting - I do appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Rome is full of tourists, especially in the summer. Everywhere I could hear English and there were groups from various parts of the U.S. I don't think language will be an issue.

I remember how busy the piazzas get in the evening, especially the steps of the Piazza di Spagna.

I spent most of the time in the Vatican City, the Capella Sistina and the museums.

The food is really good and during the trip I used a Lonely Planet guide to read about the various establishments.

Rock Historian,

I stayed in the town of Sorrento which is south of Rome - from that base I was able to travel to the island of Capri(full of young guys trying to pick up wealthy older women), visit Pompeii (brilliant, especially the brothel where the clients were caught in flagrante by the molten lava from Vesuvius!!),and went to Monte Cassino (site of historic WW2 battle). Florence is breathtaking - but be careful, there is quite a bit of crime (surprising, but true). Naples is also in travelling distance of Rome, and is worth a look. I was apprehensive about going to Naples due to the stories that it is unsafe, but I found it o.k.

My advice regarding eating out in Italian cities would be to look for the cafes and restaurants in the back streets. The restaurants which are close to e.g. St Mark's Square in Venice are prohibitively expensive. The cafes near iconic buildings operate a system whereby if you sit down for your coffee, you are charged considerably more than if you stand up.

If you visit churches in Italy, and there is a lady in your group, make sure that she has her shoulders covered. I saw females visitors physically thrown out of a church in Naples for having uncovered arms.

I hope you enjoy your trip, and have a safe journey.

Rome is full of tourists, especially in the summer. Everywhere I could hear English and there were groups from various parts of the U.S. I don't think language will be an issue.

I remember how busy the piazzas get in the evening, especially the steps of the Piazza di Spagna.

I spent most of the time in the Vatican City, the Capella Sistina and the museums.

The food is really good and during the trip I used a Lonely Planet guide to read about the various establishments.

Driver, your information is valued.

Rock Historian,

I stayed in the town of Sorrento which is south of Rome - from that base I was able to travel to the island of Capri(full of young guys trying to pick up wealthy older women), visit Pompeii (brilliant, especially the brothel where the clients were caught in flagrante by the molten lava from Vesuvius!!),and went to Monte Cassino (site of historic WW2 battle). Florence is breathtaking - but be careful, there is quite a bit of crime (surprising, but true). Naples is also in travelling distance of Rome, and is worth a look. I was apprehensive about going to Naples due to the stories that it is unsafe, but I found it o.k.

My advice regarding eating out in Italian cities would be to look for the cafes and restaurants in the back streets. The restaurants which are close to e.g. St Mark's Square in Venice are prohibitively expensive. The cafes near iconic buildings operate a system whereby if you sit down for your coffee, you are charged considerably more than if you stand up.

If you visit churches in Italy, and there is a lady in your group, make sure that she has her shoulders covered. I saw females visitors physically thrown out of a church in Naples for having uncovered arms.

I hope you enjoy your trip, and have a safe journey.

Kenog, thanks for taking time to reply. I do appreciate it. And I will take your advice/information and recommendations with me!!!!!

I really want to visit Pompeii, for the sole reason of the Pink Floyd concert filmed there. Although, I'd like to go regardless of that, it just makes it even cooler. Thanks again

If you go to Orvieto, you may enjoy this restaurant: Zeppelin.

One thing I missed in Rome that everyone said was a must-see was the Bernini statue of St. Theresa; I couldn't find the church.

I highly recommend the travel forums on fodors.com; they have great tips on everything from fellow travelers. There's a separate forum for airline issues too.

One thing I missed in Rome that everyone said was a must-see was the Bernini statue of St. Theresa; I couldn't find the church.

I highly recommend the travel forums on fodors.com; they have great tips on everything from fellow travelers. There's a separate forum for airline issues too.

Virginia, thanks for the links. I will most definitly have to try and get to that resturant. It seems a little far from where we are staying, but we do have things we can plan and that may be one of them. I am really interested in seeing the architecture of the beautiful builings there. I'm amazed by that sort of stuff. It will probably be my onlt time there so I will soak it all in. Im gonna wake up every morning at 5am and drink coffee outside-and I don't really drink coffee. But I will while I'm there.......Who needs sleep-I can do that when I get home.

Virginia, thanks for the links. I will most definitly have to try and get to that resturant. It seems a little far from where we are staying, but we do have things we can plan and that may be one of them. I am really interested in seeing the architecture of the beautiful builings there. I'm amazed by that sort of stuff. It will probably be my onlt time there so I will soak it all in. Im gonna wake up every morning at 5am and drink coffee outside-and I don't really drink coffee. But I will while I'm there.......Who needs sleep-I can do that when I get home.

I loved Italy; didn't want to come home! :) Tossed coins in the fountain so I can go back one day.

If this is the statue that Virginia missed

ststeresa19.jpg

the church is centrally located near Piazza Barbarini, the American Embassy and Via Veneto - not far from the main train station http://www.tesoridir...a_vittoria.html

My suggestion is to get a hotel in the city center - even if you have to pay extra you will save money on taxis and see more - where you can walk to see the sites, but be careful to hide your valuables and watch out for the gypsies. Some friends came to visit a couple of months ago and insisted on staying in a nice hotel with a huge Continental breakfast on the city outskirts -- they slept well but ended up seeing the Coloseum, Roman Forum, etc. from the window of a taxi cab because their time was wasted going back and forth from their hotel.

Seems to me that something similar to this hotel http://www.domusnova...t/it/1/home.htm would have been a better idea, but always read the reviews before you decide http://www.tripadvis...Rome_Lazio.html

My brother lives in Rome, so we're lucky in that he has served as our tour guide all three times we visited, the most recent time being this past August. Wish I could remember the great places he took us to eat, but I did pick up a card from our last dinner there - the best one we had. Check out siciliainbocca (I know - Sicilian food in Rome... :) ) siciliainboccaweb.com It was a fabulous meal!! For pizza, check out Pizzarium. And although we didn't go this time, I loved this chocolate store from a previous visit - Confetteria Moriondo e Gariglio (here's info from the NYT http://travel.nytime...ing-detail.html ) I found lots of helpful food info at Chowhound.com.

For our Vatican visit this time, we booked a tour of the Museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peter's through the Vatican website. It came to about $50 each and was totally worth it. The tour is about 3 hours and you avoid any lines to get in. And after it's over, you're already inside so you can wander more if you want to. Our guide was really good, but her accent kept reminding me of Father Guido Sarduci from SNL (which kept me laughing...)

Besides the historical highlights (The Colosseum, the Forum, the Pantheon.......) I loved sitting in the Piazzas - my fave is the Piazza Navona - and having a snack and a glass of wine. Actually, having a glass of wine was tops on my list of favorites :D

Have a great time!!

We are staying in Trestevere - that's what I was told today. To everyone that commented on here and left advice, tips, information, etc. I really thank you. I'm sort of amazed that I've gotten this many comments so far, and it's interesting to read all of the stories here. Driver8, Kenog Virginia, Redrum, ebk, Black Dawg, sweetredwine Thank You!!!!!

:blink:

Curious as to why you chose Italy for your first overseas adventure?

I would've thought a Rock Historian would be more interested in visiting the Birthplace Of Rock, i.e. England.

Just wondering ... might this be his explanation? :welcome2:

http://www.learnital...ture-activities

"Italian culture and art are inseparable. Noted for having some of the most famous artists in the world such as: Masaccio; Donatello; Brunelleschi; Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo Bonarroti (deriving mainly from the renaissance era), Italy is also acclaimed for its numerous sculptures which include “Christ and St Thomas” by Verrocchio, “Horses of Saint Mark”,“Piraeus’ Lion”, “St John the Baptist” by Ghilberti and of course Michelangelo’s “David” and his “Pieta”.

When you select an art course along with your studies, you will have a variety of options.

8.jpg

Italy is one of the foremost world heritage sites with an estimated sixty percent of the world’s art treasures. Italy has often been referred to as an open art gallery and even the smallest of towns boasts beautiful and irreplaceable treasures. We offer excursions that will allow you to learn about and admire these magnificent works of art. ..."

We are staying in Trestevere - that's what I was told today. To everyone that commented on here and left advice, tips, information, etc. I really thank you. I'm sort of amazed that I've gotten this many comments so far, and it's interesting to read all of the stories here. Driver8, Kenog Virginia, Redrum, ebk, Black Dawg, sweetredwine Thank You!!!!!

Have a wonderful time, and please post a trip report after! :)

Hey, I live here in Italy so what can I say, nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live here. I'm in Salerno and the Amalfi Coast which is very nice indeed all year round.

Anyway, English is very widley spoken, the eschange rate for dollars suck, Romans are locally very famous for ripping tourists off with exagerated prices so always ask for a list wherevere you go (restaurants, hotels and whatnot) so as not to have any surprices and always ask to be specified which services are included and which are extra.

Gasloine has jumped to like $2.20 a quart, so if you're thinking on renting a car, get one of those tiny Smart cars or a Fiat500, small cozy and uses less gasoline.

There are so many things to see, but riding around on tourbuses or metro you can get the majority of must see places done, no planning needed. Just in case you guys wanna travel let's say Florence or Amalfi, check out train timetables ( www.trenitalia.it) and distance from stations.

I can pass you my cell phone just in case you need an online translator, lemm know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DMachine!! I visited the Amalfi Coast in 2003, and Rome was amazing:-)

Rock Historian, I almost forgot, along with DMachine you may want to try to find Massimo or Fabio with Flowerstone (they are forum members as well)

That is an excellent version of No Quarter, keeping with the vibe of TSRTS .....awesome find and great post!!!

I will try and contact those members. Thanks a million

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe what I'm about to post should be in the Random Thoughts section? Oh well....

For now (until I find the time to give a detailed report) - Italy is an Amazing place- My new dream is to retire and live there with my family for the rest of my days........here's to wishing :drinks:

Archived