Recommedations - Going to Italy

Rock Historian

• 3 weeks later...

Rome under the snow!!!!!!!! Have you seen on tv? Watching at your pictures, it seems quite another city!!!!! It is wonderful to see our monuments in this unusual way, but it is also terrible because the eternal city is not prepared for this so it is a calamity!!!!! It takes hours to move by car, authorities have closed schools and public offices, and today there are many polemics against the mayor because the capital of the nation is in knees for the snow!!!!! So you had been lucky to have come before this disaster!!! Last night I saw on tv a documentary about a famous roman singer/songwriter who lives in Trastevere called Antonello Venditti, and I thought you would be happy to see it and recognize the place you have loved so much : follow this path and try to download it in podcast :

The site: www.rai5.it

After you must go to rai replay and search for this title: "amici miei antonello venditti" the date is : 02/02/2012

Of course is in italian, but you could enjoy seeing trastevere very well!!!!, try and let me now from this site you can see old transmissions until a week later so you can find it till next wednesday ciao anna maria

Rome under the snow!!!!!!!! Have you seen on tv? Watching at your pictures, it seems quite another city!!!!! It is wonderful to see our monuments in this unusual way, but it is also terrible because the eternal city is not prepared for this so it is a calamity!!!!! It takes hours to move by car, authorities have closed schools and public offices, and today there are many polemics against the mayor because the capital of the nation is in knees for the snow!!!!! So you had been lucky to have come before this disaster!!! Last night I saw on tv a documentary about a famous roman singer/songwriter who lives in Trastevere called Antonello Venditti, and I thought you would be happy to see it and recognize the place you have loved so much : follow this path and try to download it in podcast :

The site: www.rai5.it

After you must go to rai replay and search for this title: "amici miei antonello venditti" the date is : 02/02/2012

Of course is in italian, but you could enjoy seeing trastevere very well!!!!, try and let me now from this site you can see old transmissions until a week later so you can find it till next wednesday ciao anna maria

Annam, that is CRAZY!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate the update (I would have never known) Ironically, did you notice that in my pic's posted here I have two almost identical to the ones in the link you shared (with snow) That is very strange....How are you getting along with all this weather? Has your way to and from work/etc. been greatly affected?

Since you mentioned Antonello Venditti, I met a street musician named Francesco Ciaccio. Really nice guy and apparently a common local name in that area- After stopping to hear him play for a few minutes a day-we began to talk, drink a few Peroni's, etc. I told him I played music as well. He asked my to join him for a few tunes.There was a guitar hanging around the apartment we stayed in-I took it down the road one day and played a few songs with him (Whole Lotta Love was one of them)-That was a great time. He gave me a CD of his as well.....

I truly wish you well in this (weather) :smiley_pray: I know that is a serious matter -take care and stay safe Anna Maria

^ Black Dawg-thanks for the link post

Wow - just talked to my brother. He said he walked home last night - took him an hour and a half. Both he and his wife abandoned their vehicles somewhere in the city. Hope they can find them when it's safe to go out.

Not to worry though - there's plenty of food and wine in the house!

Mike, those pictures are wonderful!!! You look like you're having the time of your life! :)

Wow - just talked to my brother. He said he walked home last night - took him an hour and a half. Both he and his wife abandoned their vehicles somewhere in the city. Hope they can find them when it's safe to go out.

Not to worry though - there's plenty of food and wine in the house!

Mike, those pictures are wonderful!!! You look like you're having the time of your life! :)

EBK (Est) , Yes we did have "the time of our lives" (as you could see) and today marks 1 month to the day since we were there. It's hard to imagine how that must affect the commuting, etc. Sorry to hear about your brothers circumstances involving this weather-I hope he finds his car (and in the shape he abandoned it)-that's terrible......It was about 60-65 degrees the entire time we visited. Lucky for us.

Wow Rock, great pictures!

I will be visiting Italy (and a few other places) with my family in a couple of months. Seeing the places you have visited have me really looking forward to my visit there. The FOOD!!! I will go with an appetite!

It's clear you had a great time.

Sorry to hear Rome got snow. My city got 32cm (about 12in) of snow last Wednesday. Exactly 20 years ago we had a storm drop 160 cm (5 feet) in about 3 days. I feel their pain.

I've been all over Rome and the parts of Italy north of Rome such as Venice, Milan, Lake Como, and Tuscany. Never been south of Rome, however. Venice and Rome have the best archetecture. Lake Como and Tuscany are the most scenic and the best places to rent a house and relax a bit.

When it comes to tipping in restaurants try to keep in mind that there's a 15% service charge, so you don't have to tip nearly as much as in the US. And when it comes to food, I don't want to say it's overrated, but I will say that you definitely don't have to go to Italy to get the best Italian food. I once went on a 3 week Euro trip to England (London), France (Paris), Corsica (French territory with an Italian influence), and Italy (Lake Como, Venice, Milan), and the best Italian food I had the whole trip was in London by a long shot.

Another thing about the food in Italy is I noticed they tend not to give you much of a salad, just a basic garden salad which you're supposed to put olive oil and balsamic vinegar on yourself. Whereas in France, they give you these great salads with all sorts of great stuff on it and really nice salad dressings. French food in France is better than Italian food in Italy, IMHO. But overall, Italy is well worth the experience.

Archived