What're the longest live versions of No Quarter, and the '77 Guitar Solo?

bamf4k

The standard answer is the famous Badgeholder show of June 23, 1977 has the longest No Quarter.

But, I'm not so sure about that now. Yes, it is very long, but after seeing several printed sources refer to the No Quarter as being 40 minutes long, I recently timed it as being more like around 31-33 minutes.

Methinks the NQ of June 27 might be even longer.

As for the Guitar solo, heaven knows why you would want to subject yourself to the longest, but again, the June 27 seemed to be the longest of the LA Forum run of shows.

The standard answer is the famous Badgeholder show of June 23, 1977 has the longest No Quarter.

But, I'm not so sure about that now. Yes, it is very long, but after seeing several printed sources refer to the No Quarter as being 40 minutes long, I recently timed it as being more like around 31-33 minutes.

Methinks the NQ of June 27 might be even longer.

As for the Guitar solo, heaven knows why you would want to subject yourself to the longest, but again, the June 27 seemed to be the longest of the LA Forum run of shows.

I didn't like the noise solo so much at first, but I got used to the harmonizer part after awhile, and I love it when Jimmy plays around with the theremin, it's almost always my fav part, and what can I say about the violin bow section that can't be said about the way it was in any version of DnC? Although I'm still not so big on the noise solofrom any of the '79 shows.And I thought the NQ from the 27th was longer too. I also wish there was some actual title for the solo too.

I didn't mind the Star Spangled Banner-Dixie parts so much...or even the part that Eddie Van Halen used for "Cathedral". And visually, it was stunning to watch with the smoke and laser pyramid and all that...once or twice. After that, less so.

My main problem with the noise solo is that both the Theremin and the Violin bow segments don't work as well when taken out of their respective songs: Whole Lotta Love and Dazed and Confused.

Alone, they sound sluggish and discombobulated, particularly the Theremin part without Jones and Bonzo underneath.

Just my two bits.

Out of the 102 circulating dates with bootlegs containing No Quarter, June 22, 1977 is the longest. Out of the 37 Noise Solos, June 27, 1977 is the longest.

You sure about that? Looking on my computer right now, I have the June 22nd NQ clocking in at 33.58 (great epic 'Boogie Section' on this one); June 27th at 35.41(and it is indeed one of the versions where you can sense the audience's boredom at Jonesy's piano solo). June 11th in New York appears to be third longest (and my personal favourite): 33.01.

And the June 27th Noise Solo is definitely the longest: 25.53. I listened to the whole thing exactly once, and that was enough :lol: The previous night's Noise is second longest @ 22.41.

Bonzo's longest drum solos were at the Landover '77 shows: 35.47 on May 26 and 35.42 on May 28th. Both are boring as hell IMO (I've always been partial to the Fort Worth '77 drum solo)

You sure about that? Looking on my computer right now, I have the June 22nd NQ clocking in at 33.58 (great epic 'Boogie Section' on this one); June 27th at 35.41(and it is indeed one of the versions where you can sense the audience's boredom at Jonesy's piano solo).

That's what the laser light show was for...to keep the audience amused during No Quarter. :munchies:

Actually, it's a good thing the 1977 tour had all the lights and pyro it did...it made the long solo stretches of No Quarter, Moby Dick and Jimmy's guitar solo bearable. You unfortunately don't get that on bootlegs, so it depends on the shape of the band musically whether those parts are fun to listen to nowadays. LA June 21 and 23 are still fun to listen to...Seattle and Landover, not so much.

It's fine to watch the Seattle proshot but the audio itself would be boring to listen to.

I find it to be quite the opposite IMO...I love my Seattle audience recording (you get a good feel for the event that show was) but watching the video is pretty hard going; Page's corpse-like condition makes it particularly hard to watch. I know I'm probably in the minority here but if the supposed mythical Pontiac video ever appears -good performance or not- it'd be just as boring to watch. You get no sense of the absolute spectacle those '77 shows were- just the band on stage, and mainly Page and Plant for all that...the Knebworth and Earls Court videos are vastly superior IMO. I reckon the best '77 footage is the audience shot stuff.

Archived