The New Orleans Thread

Rock Historian

I have always loved his movies and thought he was one of the best looking men when I was in my 30's....his connection to New Orleans:-)

Steven Seagal, Mojo Priest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU93PbZijNM

"King of the Blues and Comedian" BB King With Special Guest Steven Seagal October 2008

Part 2 on you tube, the man loves the blues:-)

Thanks Jahfin:-)

One of the times I saw CBD was at the Warehouse in New Orleans with Marshall Tucker and Grinderswitch and had a blast:-) Great article below....

http://swampland.com/articles/view/title:freddie_edwards">http://swampland.com/articles/view/title:freddie_edwards

I was at this one below as well:-)!!!!!!!!!!!! Great memories :peace:

Marshall Tucker Band">Fly Like An Eagle (LIVE)-Marshall Tucker Band

If your from New Orleans you have to include the Rock N Bowl. I could not find any videos from the 80's/90's, so I thought I would share these:-)

Tab Benoit first time at the new Rock'n'Bowl New Orleans

Rock N' Bowl New Orleans July 25, 2009 Tab Benoit "These Arms of Mine"

^^^^Deb, that is funny that you posted the cemetery tour video. I toured that very cemetery this past summer and enjoyed the experience. A N.O. cemetery is unlike any that I have visited. Nicholas Cage's future home is there which is kinda creepy since he is still alive.

Below are photos of Nic Cage's tomb-to-be as well as the resting place of Marie Laveau, her daughter and granddaughter.

post-17244-0-43007100-1325707330.jpg

post-17244-0-81483000-1325707403.jpg

post-17244-0-13653000-1325707444.jpg

^^ Great photos MissMelanie...a lot of history there. Mr. Cage can be spotted in the quarter from time to time. My son called me last year and he was excited as he said this man walked up to him and introduced himself as a neighbor. He had purchased the house across the street from my condo in the quarter..it was Laurence Fishburn!!!!. He told my son to call him Larry:-)

Was anyone else at this Stones concert? I was in the mosh pit about 20/30 rows back from the stage...and we kept being moved around as the floor in those days was really wild. It was at the Superdome mid July of 1978...I remember I was dripping wet by the time the concert started as it was mid summer and the place was packed.

The Rolling Stones - Sweet Little Sixteen - Live New Orleans 1978

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctQ_COdkYco

^^ I posted one a few pages back. Dr. John is part of our culture:-)

Now, as I waited a lifetime for this day...the Saints finally came marching in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call Me The Brees_0002.wmv

Edit to add: My son and many friends and family were calling me and holding up their cell phones so I could hear this that day!!!!!!!!!!!!

The New Orleans Saints WIN Superbowl XLIV!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Allman Brothers Band/Whipping Post/03.20.71 The Warehouse New Orleans

Anyone else at these..great shows. Man I miss the days and the Warehouse, the people, the bands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allman Brothers Band/Blue Sky 09.16.71 The Warehouse

• 2 weeks later...

I would have been 4, wished I could have seen this concert.

The Beatles in New Orleans (1964)

THE BEATLES INVADE NEW ORLEANS(ACTUAL FOOTAGE AND INTERVIEWS W/ THE FAB FOUR)

Hi Deb, :wave: It's been quite awhile since I've been on LZ.com forums, but got on tonight and found this thread. Wish I had found it sooner, brought back so many memories and some tears (Katrina), but mostly smiles and a deep feeling of pride for my home town and it's rich rock and roll history. Had to post this for you:

002.jpg

My husband went to this concert at the tender age of 9 (with his older sister) and had the where-with-all to ask the ticket taker not to rip the ticket so he could save it. Smart kid!

Found this too, it's sort of about New Orleans (they mention the city) and Fats Domino, but mostly about when RP snuck into Lafayette for a few days:

Acadiana music circles were buzzing in late April because the Golden God was in town. He ate crawfish at McGee's Landing in Henderson, had dinner at Charley G's, popped into Dwyer's one morning, visited La Louisianne recording studio and checked out Travis Matte at Wrangler's in Carencro.

There was one reason for legendary Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant's extended Acadiana tour: Fats Domino. Plant and the Lafayette swamp pop supergroup Lil' Band O' Gold had just wrapped up recording a version of Domino's "It Keeps Raining" for Goin' Home: A Tribute to Fats Domino, a two-CD homage that hits stores this week. Goin' Home features Domino tracks played by heavyweights such as Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, Elton John, Neil Young and the cream of the crop of New Orleans music royalty ' but "It Keeps Raining" has been chosen as the first single released from the album.

"It was certainly a career highlight for me," says LBOG's C.C. Adcock, who co-produced "It Keeps Raining" with Plant. "Culturally and musically, it was nice to have it come full circle. There have been lots of people who have always tried to define what swamp pop is, and [LBOG singer/drummer] Warren Storm always says, 'It's Fats Domino music.'"

The Plant/LBOG partnership clicked in just one day of fruitful recording, with the 70-year-old Storm providing a first-generation link to Domino's unprecedented impact on contemporary American music. "Warren had literally been practicing his whole life for that afternoon, and it was a really perfect fit," says Adcock. "And then to realize besides our own little pocket, Fats helped create things like Led Zeppelin. To realize what a profound effect that man and his music had, maybe even unknowingly, on the future of modern music ' Robert Plant and Jimmy Page were completely influenced by early rock and roll like Fats Domino, and then you think about all the modern bands influenced by Led Zeppelin, and the whole rock 'n' roll thing starts with Fats."

Lil' Band O' Gold's Warren Storm and David Egan join Irma Thomas, Ivan Neville, Jon Cleary, Walter "Wolfman" Washington and more to play a CD-release party for Goin' Home: A Tribute to Fats Domino on Saturday, Sept. 29 at Tipitina's in New Orleans.

This is copy from a local paper here in Lafayette called the Independent. It's an older article from a few years ago, but still so cool, I had to share. I would just die on the spot if I would walk into Charlie G's or Dwyer's Cafe and see Robert Plant sitting there!!!!!!!!! Wish he would make another trip back to town, I could show him where to get some really good crawfish in Abbeville and how to "suck 'dem heads"! ;-) What??????

Woody Allen, besides being a filmmaker, is also a passionate jazz enthusiast, particularly New Orleans-style jazz. He regularly plays clarinet with his band every Monday night at the Hotel Carlyle. Every once in a while, the band hits the road...I saw him at the Jazz Bakery last decade. Well, right after Christmas last December, he and his band played UCLA's Royce Hall, and there was this nice little Q & A in the LA Times just before the day of the concert. Since it talks about New Orleans jazz and Woody's love for it, I thought it appropriate for the New Orleans thread.

Woody Allen won't toot his own horn

The filmmaker downplays his abilities as a New Orleans-style clarinetist, but that doesn't stop him from touring the world with a band, including a stop Thursday at UCLA.

67007139.jpg

Woody Allen plays the clarinet while jamming with his New Orleans Jazz Band… (Will Yurman / Associated Press)

By Christopher Smith Los Angeles Times December 27, 2011

Talk to Woody Allen and he'll go out of his way to tell you what a crummy musician he is, and yet, for the past half-century or so, his innumerable live performances likely have introduced New Orleans-style jazz to more audiences in America and Europe than anyone outside of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band.

The renowned filmmaker's enthusiasm for his hobby animated a recent phone chat that found the 76-year-old passionate in discussing topics as varied as the artist he'd most like to have played with and his dogged determination to practice at all hours.

While Allen continues to make a movie per year, including this year's Oscar-buzzy "Midnight in Paris," he also steadfastly plays clarinet in his New Orleans Jazz Band, which comes to town Thursday night to UCLA's Royce Hall.

--

How do you rate yourself as a musician?

It's not a particular talent that I have, but a great love -- I'm strictly like a weekend golfer or something.

I don't kid myself -- people come and see me because they've seen my movies. I am surrounded by good musicians and I do my best, but it's strictly enthusiasm.

--

If you could use the time-travel conceit from "Midnight in Paris" and be transported back to the formative years of New Orleans jazz to play with an artist, who would it be?

I would like to play with Bunk Johnson's band. He played trumpet as early as 1909 or 1910, but we only really know him from the jazz revival of the mid-'40s, the Bunk Johnson-George Lewis [clarinet] Decca recordings. Hear them play "Maryland, My Maryland" and "Alexander's Ragtime Band" ... these performances are beautiful and rare.

These guys were not schooled or complicated or adventuresome, it just sounds as it should. All those guys who are fancy and complex and full of gimmicks -- it doesn't mean anything to me.

But the Bunk Johnson band was just so alive, such a crude, primitive and great experience to listen to.

--

When you grew up in the '40s, jazz and swing were American pop music. But New Orleans jazz, by that time, was an older form. How did you first encounter it?

Benny Goodman, Frank Sinatra, Cole Porter and Billie Holiday -- that was my basic pop music growing up. It was a great time to listen to the radio. But when I was around 13 I heard a recorded jazz concert in Paris with Sidney Bechet [the first notable jazz saxophonist] and I thought it was something special.

That got me interested in New Orleans-style music. So like every young kid, when you start to get interested in something, whether it's baseball batting averages or stamp collecting, you become obsessive with it. So did I with this music -- I bought every jazz record of his I could find and I decided to learn the soprano saxophone because that is what Sidney Bechet played.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

--

How did you start playing to audiences?

I started off just as a hobby, strictly playing with guys my age. Just for fun, once a week, like you might get together for a poker game. After a couple years of this, one of the guys said it would be more fun if we played for people instead of in a living room. I didn't really care -- I had been a stand-up comedian by then for a couple years, I didn't really need an audience, but I didn't mind it.

Then, when I was doing stand-up comedy at the Hungry i in San Francisco, it was a couple blocks away from a little jazz joint called Earthquake Magoo's that had Turk Murphy, a good New Orleans-style trombonist. I used to go over and listen to his band. He found out I played clarinet and he muscled me into bringing my instrument to sit in with them. I protested I wasn't that good, but he wouldn't take no for an answer, and once he got me playing, I began to play more with other people, not just with records on a Victrola.

A group got together and we started playing local cafes in New York once a week. We played at Michael's Pub for 30 years and we switched to the Carlyle Hotel and we have played there now on Monday nights for many years.

--

Are you ever nervous, before a show, going out in front of people?

Never for a second. My attitude is: "Look, I'm playing for fun, for my own enjoyment, and if the people want to come and enjoy it, great. If not, then not."

When people think of this music, they probably think of guys in, I don't know, striped jackets and straw boater hats doing silly stuff onstage and playing "When the Saints Go Marching In." We've never done that -- we play authentic music, with no eye to crowd-pleasing or commerciality.

--

It seems people do want to hear you.

Shows what I know about audiences. About 20 years ago or so, someone thought we should go out on a concert tour and I thought that was the silliest thing, nobody would ever come. Our first concert tour in Europe, we were sold out in opera houses and concert halls, playing to audiences of 2,000 to 5,000 night after night, so this hobby started to be a very fulfilling thing.

--

Did it strike you that if this movie thing didn't work out you could pay the rent playing music?

I don't think I could. Again, I don't say this out of false modesty -- it's a realistic appraisal. I can't read music, I don't have a natural ear, I don't have great talent. I can tell when I hear a great New Orleans clarinet player, the sound is so full of excitement, and it's wonderful to listen to even if the guy plays a simple melody.... When I play, I mean, I try, but it's as dead as a doornail.

--

You've only made one or two jazz albums. Why?

They wouldn't be worth anything artistically, really. We made a recording once when we played in a church in New York -- it had good, New Orleans-style clean acoustics, reverberation, so we liked the way we sounded. We recorded them with our own tape recorder -- they weren't made in a music studio. And the songs that were less bad we put on the record.

pixel.gif

--

Do you still practice your clarinet every day?

At least half an hour. You have to practice every day, even in order to play as badly as I do. Your lip is involved, your embouchure [the use of facial muscles and the shaping of the lips to the mouthpiece] -- you just can't play effectively if you don't.

--

Do you need to practice at a certain time or a certain place?

I've practiced many different times in many places when I am out shooting. I have practiced out in the snow. I've come back to my hotel room at 11 o'clock at night out of town when I was making films and put the quilt over my head on the bed so I wouldn't wake anybody up at that hour.

I've practiced in churches in Europe when I couldn't find any other spot. In automobiles where I would have the driver find a secluded street. Or I'd get in the car by myself and lock the doors when it was too cold outside.

--

After 50 years of this, do you feel guilty if you miss a day of practice?

Yes.

--

If there is to be an epitaph written for you as a musician, what should it say?

He was a terrible musician, but he really loved doing it.

--

Copyright 2011 Los Angeles Times

^^ Hello justawoman!!

Glad to see you back here:-) Thanks for the above. I fell out of my chair at your "suck 'dem heads" comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hysterical: :hysterical:

I guess I will live Mardi Gras through my family and friends this year.

Strider, interesting about Woody Allen:-)

Thanks for posting that Rock Historian. Very, very cool. No Quarter lends itself very well done in a sludge metal style, it makes it even darker and more ominous. Just goes to show how truly timeless and multi-faceted Zeppelin's music is. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it.

Also hey Deb :wave: I'll try not to be such a stranger. I knew you would love my 'suck 'dem heads' comment. Hey, you have a story about Robert Plant eating crawfish - I just couldn't let that go. (God don't I wish I would have been at that restaurant that day!!!!!!!!)

Archived