The New Orleans Thread

Rock Historian

Jahfin, I have seen the radiators quite a few times:-)

I wish I could say the same. They came onto my musical radar back in the 80s with their Law of the Fish album. Ever since then, I've had countless opportunities to see them, the most recent of which was just a couple of years ago when they played the Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh but that particular evening I decided to lay low. Now, as I'm sure you're aware, they've decided to hang it up. 2011 marks their last year as a band. Unfortunately, their farewell tour never brought them back to the Cackalack.

I wish I could say the same. They came onto my musical radar back in the 80s with their Law of the Fish album. Ever since then, I've had countless opportunities to see them, the most recent of which was just a couple of years ago when they played the Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh but that particular evening I decided to lay low. Now, as I'm sure you're aware, they've decided to hang it up. 2011 marks their last year as a band. Unfortunately, their farewell tour never brought them back to the Cackalack.

Jafhin, before I go-I wanted to recommend The Meters to you. I've posted a song or two up on this thread. They have written alot of famous Mardi Gras tunes and some down right funky jams. John Bonham was a big fan of The Meters and the drummer. If you happen to get time to dabble into them, you can see why. They are one of the originators of New Orleans funk...check em'

http://youtu.be/5X-6_0YqgeI

^^^^^

Well that was a short vacation. So do you guys have a New Orleans accent? And how is it different than say a Jeff Foxworthy accent? How about NASCAR you all fans of Nascar? I'm trying to get into it, I alway liked Indy Car racing more because I don't really like all the rebel flags and stuff. But I know Nascar is popular in the south.

Nah, it's hard to explain Tiki. Honestly, I don't have a heavy accent like some. (some are down-right funny, and it's a common joke to make fun/talk like a few of those people-with no intentional harm in mind) My buddies and I talk like that all the time-out of fun -It's extremely funny...... but some of the words people use here are really drawn out. Closet thing to it would probably be Brooklyn. While not exact, it's close to that sort of slang. I've been told many of times (besides a few words I can't help but sound New Orleans) that I sound like I'm more Northern than Southern. I guess compared to some, I can agree, but Im not that proper with my etiquette-like the people I've heard more north. And personally speaking Tiki, I can't stand NASCAR. Although I know some who like it. that's more common in other states like Alabama, Florida..etc. NASCAR isn't big at all in New Orleans and Jeff Foxworthy (don't even know where that guy is from) sounds much more country. Like I said, New York would be the closest related accent to compare-but not entirely. As a matter of fact , go check out the video on this thread I posted towards the beginning called 12 Yats of Christmas. Listen to the accents...that's how it is here, in general.......

I'm off to Italy tomorrow -you guys take care and don't kill one another on here just yet..wait till I return!!!!!!

:hysterical: Just playing - see ya'll

And Deb-I'm gonna miss the Saints game Monday..unless we can pick it up on the computer some kinda way, so WHO DAT!!!!!!!

Jahfin ^^They were a staple for us. many nights seeing them, really nice people. I tried to find an old video of them in New Orleans and all I could find was this from 1984:

The New Orleans Radiators - Love Is A Tangle

Thanks, Deb. Love that. Law of the Fish is the only Radiators record I own, I definitely need to pick up some more of their stuff.

Rock Historian, I'm quite familiar with the Meters. Way back in the 80s, a couple of my brothers saw the Wild Tchoupitoulas in Texas. When they got back to NC that was nearly all they could talk about. I tried tracking down their album back then with no luck but I did finally happen upon it a few years ago on CD, very essential stuff. Due to that same trip one of those same brothers picked up the Neville Brothers' Fiyo On the Bayou record (which I also now own). A few years after that, I purchased the Meters' Fire on the Bayou album on vinyl. Even more recently, I bought the Meters compilation on Rhino Records called Funkify Your Life along with Treacherous: A History of the Neville Brothers 1955-1985 (also on Rhino). Not sure if you're familiar with Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit but they do a pretty rockin' version of "Cissy Strut" as well as "Hey Pocky Way" which features their drummer Chad Gamble on vocals. Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit are also featured on Preservation: An Album To Benefit Preservation Hall & The Preservation Hall Music Outreach Program which you can read more about here.

Nah, it's hard to explain Tiki. Honestly, I don't have a heavy accent like some. (some are down-right funny, and it's a common joke to make fun/talk like a few of those people-with no intentional harm in mind) My buddies and I talk like that all the time-out of fun -It's extremely funny...... but some of the words people use here are really drawn out. Closet thing to it would probably be Brooklyn. While not exact, it's close to that sort of slang. I've been told many of times (besides a few words I can't help but sound New Orleans) that I sound like I'm more Northern than Southern. I guess compared to some, I can agree, but Im not that proper with my etiquette-like the people I've heard more north. And personally speaking Tiki, I can't stand NASCAR. Although I know some who like it. that's more common in other states like Alabama, Florida..etc. NASCAR isn't big at all in New Orleans and Jeff Foxworthy (don't even know where that guy is from) sounds much more country. Like I said, New York would be the closest related accent to compare-but not entirely.

I'm off to Italy tomorrow -you guys take care and don't kill one another on here just yet..wait till I return!!!!!!

:hysterical: Just playing - see ya'll

And Deb-I'm gonna miss the Saints game Monday..unless we can pick it up on the computer some kinda way, so WHO DAT!!!!!!!

I will yell loud enough for both of us WHO DAT!!

Like RH stated, I don't have a thick accent, but I can get it back when I am around it for a while. RH- have a blast in Italy, can't wait to hear about your trip. Travel safe my Who Dat Friend:-)

^^ I would be happy to send you a few recipes by PM:-) When you start cooking, just bare with me with my work schedule, it may take a day or so to get back to you but I will:-) Also Justin Wilson has some great video's on You Tube on how to cook a lot of the dishes, plus he is quite fun to watch IMHO.

Another great concert in my memory vault!!!

Johnny Winter- City Park Stadium, New Orleans, La 6/7/75

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8crkTW6GQYw&feature=related

There's no way in hell that Jahfin doesn't already know about The Meters! In fact, no half-way decent music fan doesn't have The Meters in their collection. Hell, just about every review of Led Zeppelin's "Presence" mentioned The Meters in reference to "Royal Orleans". And Bonham and Zeppelin name-checked them in interviews.

To Deborah J: Hi, I just tried to pm you about recipes/how to make my Cajun food taste more interesting but I think your mailbox might be full? I can post it here instead if that's easier - I think I still have it on my clipboard.

Just sent you a PM, getting ready to watch the Saints game, so if not tonight I can get back to you tomorrow.

First of all GEAUX SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you grew up in New Orleans here is another great band. Many a weekend night at Ole Man Rivers. I still go see Randy's Music of Led Zeppelin, Music of Pink Floyd, his acoustic shows:-)

Zebra DVD Trailer

Archived