The New Orleans Thread

Rock Historian

Sorry for the tardiness in posting this...

In anticipation of Mardi Gras, last week's David Letterman show had an amazing performance by Erykah Badu, Mark Ronson, the Dap Kings and legendary Meters drummer Zigaboo Modeliste. It's part of this music project called "RE:Generation". Erykah Badu is one badass Soul Sista!!! Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKOwzHaPQOg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I had the pleasure of meeting Zigaboo a few years back in passing through the studio ( I mention from time to time). What a humble and nice guy he is. Still one of the best around of this genere. John Bonham loved this guys work, and there's not wondering why. His is a milestone drummer in the New Orleans swing fashion.

Yeah Strider, Erykah is damn good singer-but that tremendous backing band elevates her delivery 100%.

Rock Historian, do you really watch Swamp People :D

I've watched a handful of episodes. After the first one or two, you get the whole point of it really, but it's still entertaining to watch from their perspective and to see how they live. The subtitles are hilarious. I find it one of the more educational reality shows.

Hey Deb, I'll watch if nothing else is on that catches my interest. It is a tad entertaining but I hate to think that people everywhere else may think that everyone in South Louisiana are like swamp people. The two brothers with the white beards scare the shit out of me! They are like something out of Deliverence! I don't think their family tree forks. Although it does show how hard working, self-reliant and good natured the Cajun people are.

Hey Deb, I'll watch if nothing else is on that catches my interest. It is a tad entertaining but I hate to think that people everywhere else may think that everyone in South Louisiana are like swamp people. The two brothers with the white beards scare the shit out of me! They are like something out of Deliverence! I don't think their family tree forks. Although it does show how hard working, self-reliant and good natured the Cajun people are.

true dat!

• 4 weeks later...

^^ Great photo of the two of you:-) I am still planning on making Mardi Gras next year and hopefully a few of us can get together. I am seriously thinking about having something made (costume) that will look like a double neck guitar...I have a vision :peace:

The levees were blown. They didn't just collapse.

Curious.......

Do you believe everything you hear from the Media?

People will speculate that idea for centuries to come, but remember that New Orleans is below sea level, and pictures show water (in Chalmette) coming OVER the Levees..they were not blown there. As for in New Orleans, I think the same an be said there that the force of pressure made them collapse....

Anythings possible, but I don't exactly believe that happened.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi RH, hope you had a great time^^

Tom Petty - Traveling Light (JJ Cale Cover) - New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - 4/28/12

Dr. John - Right Place, Wrong Time - Tipitina's - New Orleans - 4/28/12

New Orleans Jazz Fest 2012.mp4

^ It was a beautiful day-perfect weather. We hit the grounds at 4:15 (after taking a shuttle bus from City Park) and walked to the Congo Square stage to see Cee Lo Green for a minute and then we headed to the Acura stage for Tom Petty.

Of all the years I've been, this was the biggest crowd for a single act. When I say it was packed, I mean that you could barely move where you stood. It took us 50 minutes to find a spot that we could claim as our own and it was so far away from the stage that I didn't even see them-I only heard the music from the speakers closest to us. It expected it to be crowded, but it was unbelieveable. It sounded great from where we were and I'm sure it was even better close up. Thanks for posting the vids. I've yet to look on youtube to find any, so this was my first visual of the band.

They had a tent around the same area as the Acura stage that was selling professionally mixed copies of the bands that performed that day for $20. I asked the girl working there if they were recording Tom Petty, but she said the band refused. I was hoping to get that on disk.

People as far as the eye could see. We were somewhere in the far right corner, but even further back because I did not see the stage.. The crowd stretched across the whole right side of the stage. This shot is only 1/3 of the view. This picture was taken by a friend of mine who had won backstage passes.

Incredible. It looked like Woodstock.

I wonder what the turnout number was for the day.

post-8224-0-18865800-1335723071.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Attended many concerts here:-)

New Orleans Warehouse Remembered 1820 Tchoupitoulas

New Orleans Warehouse Remembered #2

New Orleans Warehouse Remembered #3

Went to quite a few concerts at The Warehouse, but there a TONS I did not get to go to, that I wish I had! There is a picture of Jimmy and Robert backstage there, at I think an Allan Toussaint concert out there somwhere.

Hi Ludwig! :wave: There are so many of us here from N.O. that we have our own thread! So cool! If you come across that pic of Jimmy and Robert backstage at the Warehouse, please post it. Went to so many concerts at the Warehouse, but it's all a blurr - LOL - due to age and mood enhancers during my formative years. I do remember the first concert I ever went to in my life was at the Warehouse. It was Steve Marriott when he was with Humble Pie, after that it was downhill (or uphill :P ) from there! Fond memories!

Archived