Pets/Animals - what kind and how many do you own

Rock Historian

There is a "Post a pic of you Pets" thread. This is somewhat in conjuntion with that, but more focused on info-please write about your pets, how many, rescue work, donations, shelter volutneer work, etc. that you are invoved in. If you are an animal lover (of dogs, cats, reptiles, etc.etc.) I'd like to hear your story.

I own two Labrador Retrievers - One Yellow and one Black. I also own cats (more than the law allows) I recently built a small house in my backyard (equipped with an A/C unit/heater-insulated walls and ceramic floor) to accomodate most of my cats. Basically, I have my own "mini" animal shelter at home. My wife and I also do volunteer work occasionally at a local "no Kill" shelter within 3 miles of my house.

I also feed two stray dogs and about 25 cats/kittens (in three different locations) daily.

I do alot of TNR work. Which stands for Trap, Neuter, Return. Basically if an animal is considered feral or a stray and is unable to have contact with humans or in a household, I trap them-get them "fixed" to reduce the stray population and suffering and return them to the original location. Which in turn I continue to feed afterwards, unless there is a food source available. Most of the animals I encounter on a daily basis are very friendly to me, because they are used to my activity with them and in turn I have made a gradual connection. They feel comfortable-and that's a great feeling for an animal on the street to have.

Please post anything of interest pertaining to your own lifestyle/story with an animal(s) Thanks-

My Family pet is a Staff-English Bull Terrier cross, my son rescued him from a Gypsy site where he was being ill treated. He has Deformed front legs so he was used to torment the other Dogs to make them more Vicious. Sadly before the Animal Welfare could get to the Site the other Dogs we gone.

When he came to us he wouldn't drink water from his bowl but would try drinking the waste water from the washing machine, he was too scared to eat his food, he would take a little food when he thought nobody was looking and hide with it.

3 years on he is still very skittish and it does not take a lot to scare him, but he is a very loving Dog even though he has some hang-ups...

I also have 4 Budgies 2 that we have breed ourselves...

We just got a black lab for our kids for Christmas.

Our rental agreement doesn't allow it, but it never stopped me before.

I looked on Craigslist, but finally decided it would be best to get a dog from the county shelter.

Turned out to be a great idea.

This one is about 8 months old, was a stray, so she may actually be a full-bred lab.

Not that it matters anyway, but usually you can see traces of other breeds when they are mixed.

She's jet black and extremely lovable.

We're real happy with her.

I used to have a beautiful red Siberian Husky which I bought in 1996, just like this.

220px-Siberian_Husky_copper_bi-eye.jpg

I used to take long runs with this dog, they actually thrive in wild environments and enjoy the very long distances.

Then in 2004 someone who was living at my house at the time left the door wide open. The dog left never to be seen again.

There is a "Post a pic of you Pets" thread. This is somewhat in conjuntion with that, but more focused on info-please write about your pets, how many, rescue work, donations, shelter volutneer work, etc. that you are invoved in. If you are an animal lover (of dogs, cats, reptiles, etc.etc.) I'd like to hear your story.

I own two Labrador Retrievers - One Yellow and one Black. I also own cats (more than the law allows) I recently built a small house in my backyard (equipped with an A/C unit/heater-insulated walls and ceramic floor) to accomodate most of my cats. Basically, I have my own "mini" animal shelter at home. My wife and I also do volunteer work occasionally at a local "no Kill" shelter within 3 miles of my house.

I also feed two stray dogs and about 25 cats/kittens (in three different locations) daily.

I do alot of TNR work. Which stands for Trap, Neuter, Return. Basically if an animal is considered feral or a stray and is unable to have contact with humans or in a household, I trap them-get them "fixed" to reduce the stray population and suffering and return them to the original location. Which in turn I continue to feed afterwards, unless there is a food source available. Most of the animals I encounter on a daily basis are very friendly to me, because they are used to my activity with them and in turn I have made a gradual connection. They feel comfortable-and that's a great feeling for an animal on the street to have.

Please post anything of interest pertaining to your own lifestyle/story with an animal(s) Thanks-

Thanks for everything you do!!

• 10 months later...

Two weeks ago we saved two kittens born in the wild. A third went to another family. We have the first vet visit thurs night. We have them on KMR replacement formula, gave them eye drops when their eyes had some crusting and have raised them and they are doing great. My friend will take one when they are 6 weeks. We may have one as my wife's daughter wants the black one. I like the gray. My friends wife loves the gray. So Its up in the air as to which one is going where, but they are saved and will be in good homes.

I have a ChowChow who is blind (probably since she was a pup) and now she doesn't hear well. I am not sure how old she is. She came from a shelter in the Bahamas that was leveled in a hurricane (damned hurricanes!) in 2004. It will be eight years that I've had her with me at the end of the month. She still loves to walk and is in control of her bodily functions, so as the saying goes, we take it day-by-day.

Three stray cats,a ground hog, a skunk,and a few rabbits,...do Squirrels count?

OMG, you remind me of my Mom. She loves animals and wants to save them all! That is way too much of a commitment for me.

I know someone who had a squirrel, so, I'd say they count!

A blue, semi-hairless Chihuahua named Cole (he was a Christmas present for my son - he received "Cole" in his stocking, yes I know the spelling is different but you ole Santa ;)) and a Beta fish named Jetta. Used to have three cats, I do miss them! :(

Up until May of this year I had a beautiful 2 year old Border Collie, named Cassie. I believe she was stolen. Anyway, I have been searching but to no avail. I have a 8 month old Lhasa Apso named Ty now. Cassie was a rescue, i got Ty as a gift. I found Cass under a house in the country, i was visiting some friends and we were walking down an old dirt road. And we kept hearing these cries and moans coming from an old empty house that we were approaching, I was worried because it sort of sounded like a baby. So we looked around once we made it up to the old house. It was scary because the grass was about waist high, we were lucky we didn't come up on a snake. The house was covered in vines and the windows were busted out. Linked arm in arm my friends and I walked around to the back of the house, following the cries. And sure enough, under the steps of the porch there was a tiny baby pup! Squirming around in the dirt. There was an awful smell, because six other puppies were dead under the house. Cassie was the only one that survived, but she was barely hanging on herself. She had mange so bad that in some spots her fur was completely gone and bleeding sores within the spots. She was starving, so tiny and frail. I took her to the vet and let them care for her until she was able to come home with me. It was about 3 weeks before I could bring her home. Her fur, still naked in some spots began to sprout out jet black fur. In time it filled out and she was gorgeous! I miss her she was very sweet, smart and playful. I love my Lhasa, but he is so stubborn, the cuteness makes up for it though. :)

I have two prospective homes for these two kittens but I am sure my wife will allow her daughter to keep one especially since she is footing half the vet bill. They go to the vet for first time Thurs night. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They never would have survived the hurricane. So I am happy that we saved the rascals

Currently 2 young adult male cats; one is very serious and the other is very goofy. And we have fish; 4 tanks ranging from 1-30 gallon (nothing fancy though).

This friend and his wife are at odds. He has the impression male cats are better manored. I say bullshit. The grey we have is a tiny bit bigger than the black that we believe to be the male. The grey has been the more aggresive and curious and far more energetic. Will know for sure when they see the Vet Thurs. Only about 5 weeks we are guessing.

This friend and his wife are at odds. He has the impression male cats are better manored. I say bullshit. The grey we have is a tiny bit bigger than the black that we believe to be the male. The grey has been the more aggresive and curious and far more energetic. Will know for sure when they see the Vet Thurs. Only about 5 weeks we are guessing.

How funny, one of ours is black and white (the serious one) and the other is gray (goofy). They get along well most of the time, but pick on each other some too. The gray cat is more obvious and the black cat has more of an Eddie Haskell approach.

Archived