Led Zeppelin, unlikely to play at Olympic ceremony: Bonham

Driver8

Jason Bonham has told British journal The Sun that there´s a slim chance of Zeppelin playing at the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympic Games.

"I haven't spoken to Robert (Plant) for about six months but he is really enjoying himself.

"For me you can never say never. If you ask me today is it gonna happen immediately, well no, there is no talk of it. But if you said to me in 2007 I would play with Led Zeppelin in December that year I would say you're nuts, so you never know."

Good, I say. The further they stay away from a corporate orgy like the Olympics the better. Bad enough Jimmy did that thing with what's-her-name at the last Olympics...no need to drag his bandmates into the mire.

The fact that Led Zeppelin never performed at some cheesy sporting event like the Olympics, or the Super Bowl halftime show, actually made me love and respect them more over the years.

A message to the lads if any corporate lackey or Olympic muckety-muck comes a calling: JUST SAY NO!!!

The only exception to my position is if Wolverhampton should somehow find itself in the miraculous circumstance of winning The Cup. This would obviously be of such momentous import, that nothing less than Robert getting together with his bandmates to play a celebratory gig would suffice.

Good, I say. The further they stay away from a corporate orgy like the Olympics the better. Bad enough Jimmy did that thing with what's-her-name at the last Olympics...no need to drag his bandmates into the mire.

The fact that Led Zeppelin never performed at some cheesy sporting event like the Olympics, or the Super Bowl halftime show, actually made me love and respect them more over the years.

A message to the lads if any corporate lackey or Olympic muckety-muck comes a calling: JUST SAY NO!!!

The only exception to my position is if Wolverhampton should somehow find itself in the miraculous circumstance of winning The Cup. This would obviously be of such momentous import, that nothing less than Robert getting together with his bandmates to play a celebratory gig would suffice.

Being that artists typically play medleys at the Superbowl i always thought Zep would excel at that. But then I realize that, even with a medley, the time slot is still far too short to enjoy it. But, if the Raiders somehow made it there, I wouldnt mind seeing them perform Rock And Roll.

(its been a long time....)

^^^ :lol: Hence my use of the term "miraculous", as it really would take a miracle. You're right though, they probably don't belong in Premiere League level...that 5-1 shellacking they took from Man U left them dangerously close to being relegated, I believe.

Haven't picked up a Sun in ages...do they still have the Page 3 birds?

A Pink Floyd spokesman has denied that the band will play reunion show at the Olympics.

"This is all simply not true," said a spokesman of the band to Outside The Wall. "Roger Waters Tour is in full swing this summer with more shows expected to be released for August in North America, and David Gilmour is working on a new album to possibly be toured in late 2012-2013. These sorts of rumors are spread about like mad every few months and it really disrupts the band members focus on there current projects."

http://www.pr.com/press-release/380977

IMHO

I thought Jimmy & Leona Lewis were okay in 2008. But I don't think Jimmy needed "her" to sing the song. I was trying to mute the words & to only listen to Jimmy play. I doubt they will reunite for the Olympics. It would be nice, but it's just not going to happen. :(

As much as I would love to see Led Zeppelin live, it would not be the same without John and the magic from decades ago would just not be there, so I'll just be content to listen to their albums and pretend I'm in the front row and that Robert Plant is singing especially for me. I hope to be able to see him in concert later this year with his new band. Robert and Led Zeppelin are legendary let's just keep great memories of the past and not bring them up by reuniting, he has let go of the past and has moved on and the people hoping for a reunion or anything like that should move on too.

As much as I would love to see Led Zeppelin live, it would not be the same without John and the magic from decades ago would just not be there, so I'll just be content to listen to their albums and pretend I'm in the front row and that Robert Plant is singing especially for me. I hope to be able to see him in concert later this year with his new band. Robert and Led Zeppelin are legendary let's just keep great memories of the past and not bring them up by reuniting, he has let go of the past and has moved on and the people hoping for a reunion or anything like that should move on too.

nicely said Autumngrl and I agree ....I have always kinda been proud of the fact that they stopped when John Bonham died. There may have been rumours of that "Yes thing" back around that time, but that didn't develope. If you look at all the bands out there, who have lost a member(s) due to tragedy, the Zeps (and Nirvana) are probably the only band to ever call it quits due to a death of a member....Alot of bands have simply just got a replacement and contimued on with the name....

• 1 month later...

Really? Is this what John would have wanted? I think not..As my memory recalls it was John who had to coax Robert into coming back to the band after Karac died..he wanted to quit then. But this...this 32 years of silence doesn't honor John at all. What honors him is continuing on with the band brought them all together in the first place. You are right in one sense though it was decades ago..What a waste of talent.

Really? Is this what John would have wanted? I think not..As my memory recalls it was John who had to coax Robert into coming back to the band after Karac died..he wanted to quit then. But this...this 32 years of silence doesn't honor John at all. What honors him is continuing on with the band brought them all together in the first place. You are right in one sense though it was decades ago..What a waste of talent.

Karac was Plant's son. Even though the loss was great, so great that he considered giving it all up and becoming a teacher-he was coaxed back -your right about that. However, the death of his son and the death of John Bonham are two different situations. John Bonham was Led Zeppelin's drummer. (an irreplaceable drummer, I might add) Without John or any other original member-there is no Led Zeppelin. The four of those exact members created "magic". Yes, Jason played drums with them billed as Led Zeppelin in 2007-he is the most reasonable fill in for the job, (even though he is a great drummer) yet he is not his father-nor does he want to be. You can't recreate that.

It has alot to do with respect, and It makes perfect sense.

Karac was Plant's son. Even though the loss was great, so great that he considered giving it all up and becoming a teacher-he was coaxed back -your right about that. However, the death of his son and the death of John Bonham are two different situations. John Bonham was Led Zeppelin's drummer. Without John or any other original member-there is no Led Zeppelin. The four of those exact members created magic. You can't recreate that. It makes perfect sense.

John wouldn't have wanted them to quit the band was my point..Other bands have replaced members and went on to have successful careers..how does one know really if they don't even try? If it didn't work out then fine...but at least they would have given it a shot...that to me would have honored John

John wouldn't have wanted them to quit the band was my point..Other bands have replaced members and went on to have successful careers..how does one know really if they don't even try? If it didn't work out then fine...but at least they would have given it a shot...that to me would have honored John

Other bands are not Led Zeppelin. They did honor John....by not replacing him. That's not only my reply, but their reasoning.

Other bands are not Led Zeppelin. They did honor John....by not replacing him. That's not only my reply, but their reasoning.

Correct..they aren't Led Zeppelin and I'm not going to argue..but I still think that these last 32 years have been a waste of their talents

Correct..they aren't Led Zeppelin and I'm not going to argue..but I still think that these last 32 years have been a waste of their talents

I hear what your saying...but it is what it is. 32 years later...and counting. They were not only respectful to JB by making their decision (to pull the plug), but they preserved the credibilty of their legacy by not ruining a good thing. Getting another drummer would have been hit or miss and who knows what else. It's for imagination purposes at this point..........You don't credit their solo albums/other projects as talent?

I hear what your saying...but it is what it is. 32 years later...and counting. They were not only respectful to JB by making their decision (to pull the plug), but they preserved the credibilty of their legacy by not ruining a good thing. Getting another drummer would have been hit or miss and who knows what else. It's for imagination purposes at this point..........You don't credit their solo albums/other projects as talent?

Sorry...But watching Robert Plant singing country music or any other kind of music doesn't do it for me, in fact I can't watch it..He is, always will be, always has been the frontman of Led Zeppelin...That is what he was meant to do..IMO

That reminds me..I'll pose this question to you...if I can remember it right, I read that Robert turned down the 200m offer to put Zep back together..sooo if back in 1980 Jimmy was also in agreement of disbanding why was the offer made in 07? In any case I believe it's too late cuz Robert doesn't have the chops anymore to do those songs as they were meant to be done. As far as Jimmy's solo work goes...I don't have much knowledge of what he's done other than hearing that he played on one of the black crowes albums and of course the Page/Plant albums in the mid 90's

Sorry...But watching Robert Plant singing country music or any other kind of music doesn't do it for me, in fact I can't watch it..He is, always will be, always has been the frontman of Led Zeppelin...That is what he was meant to do..IMO

That reminds me..I'll pose this question to you...if I can remember it right, I read that Robert turned down the 200m offer to put Zep back together..sooo if back in 1980 Jimmy was also in agreement of disbanding why was the offer made in 07? In any case I believe it's too late cuz Robert doesn't have the chops anymore to do those songs as they were meant to be done. As far as Jimmy's solo work goes...I don't have much knowledge of what he's done other than hearing that he played on one of the black crowes albums and of course the Page/Plant albums in the mid 90's

The only reason why they reunited and replaced John with Jason was to be able to pay a homage to their influence Ahmet Ertegun and raise money for the charity fund. I'm sure both Page and Plant would've refused even a 500m offer if it hadn't been for Ahmet.

And I'm quite sure they don't have a paucity of money.

The only reason why they reunited and replaced John with Jason was to pay a homage to their influence Ahmet Ertegun. I'm sure both Page and Plant would've refused even a 500m offer if it hadn't been for Ahmet.

And I'm quite sure they don't have a paucity of money.

So the offer wasn't made by Jimmy? I was not aware of that..ok thank you

Archived