Rory Gallagher - Jimmy's lost brother?

There are certain similarities for sure, but I'd say Rory is cuter. He is also IMO the better guitarist, on stage at least. A thrilling player, and a lovely guy as well.

Hendrix was once asked how it felt to be the best guitarist in the world. He reportedly replied 'I dunno, go ask Rory Gallagher.'

Just my opinion, as it is yours, but if Rory Gallagher is the "better" guitarist, how come when it comes to the debate of who the "Best" Guitarists of all-time are, Rory Gallagher is seldom mentioned, if ever mentioned? I believe that Jimmy Page has influenced many more guitar players than any other Guitar Player EVER, including Jimi Hendrix. Again, just my opinion.

Edited: to say that the picture of Jimmy and Rory in the post #2, Rory looks like a young Rusell Crowe with long hair.

There are likely periods; phases in ones career, where one may be a better guitarist onstage than the other. With that said, however, I believe Jimmy to be a far better musician than Rory throughout their entire careers. There is a difference between guitarist and musician IMO.

The reason I discovered Rory Gallagher in the first place was I was strolling through the record aisles(remember that, kids?) and I saw what I thought was a Jimmy Page album. Turns out it was Rory Gallagher, and yes, the resemblance was uncanny.

I think both are great guitarists...both occupy that rarefied air that is reserved for the truly great...Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Duane Allman, Peter Green, Mick Taylor, SRV, Eric Clapton, Rory Gallagher. Ranking them comes down to personal preference. Nobody's list is inherently more correct than somebody else's.

The reason I discovered Rory Gallagher in the first place was I was strolling through the record aisles(remember that, kids?) and I saw what I thought was a Jimmy Page album. Turns out it was Rory Gallagher, and yes, the resemblance was uncanny.

I think both are great guitarists...both occupy that rarefied air that is reserved for the truly great...Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Duane Allman, Peter Green, Mick Taylor, SRV, Eric Clapton, Rory Gallagher. Ranking them comes down to personal preference. Nobody's list is inherently more correct than somebody else's.

Agree 100%.

My subjective truly great list would include the above plus Robin Trower, Buddy Guy, David Gilmour, Alex Lifeson, EVH, Rod Price, FZ, Brian May, Allan Holdsworth, Steve Hillage, Steve Howe, Tony Iommi, Ritchie Blackmore, Frank Marino and many others. Hell.... there are a few friends of mine I consider to be truly great players.

I've been fan of of Rory Gallagher since I saw him on Don Kirshner's rock concert in 1975. Amazing player.

I'm a bigger Page fan but I certainly can see why The Major could prefer Rory... not a big deal... he's not wrong and neither am I.

There is no best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This aint the Olympics.

This isn't Bird vs Magic

Happy New Year.

Hendrix was once asked how it felt to be the best guitarist in the world. He reportedly replied 'I dunno, go ask Rory Gallagher.'

I believe Jimi Hendrix gave major props to ZZ Top's Billy Gibbon's as well as a major influence and credit.

I agree with the other post that says Jimmy Page influenced more guitarists than any other artist. Eddie Van Halen's "tapping" technique comes in a close second. I'm not saying Eddie is the #2 best guitarist, jus than he changed rock guitar playing techiniques in the 80's. Some say for the better, others say for the worse.

DT

I believe Jimi Hendrix gave major props to ZZ Top's Billy Gibbon's as well as a major influence and credit.

I agree with the other post that says Jimmy Page influenced more guitarists than any other artist. Eddie Van Halen's "tapping" technique comes in a close second. I'm not saying Eddie is the #2 best guitarist, jus than he changed rock guitar playing techiniques in the 80's. Some say for the better, others say for the worse.

DT

He did.

Hendrix also gave gave major props to the late Terry Kath, the great Guitarist from the band Chicago.

• 3 months later...

There are certain similarities for sure, but I'd say Rory is cuter. He is also IMO the better guitarist, on stage at least. A thrilling player, and a lovely guy as well.

Wrong. That anecdote has been passed around with just about every other guitarist in that spot - including, as the chase mentioned above, Terry Kath.

Hendrix wasn't all that shy about his playing - he knew he was the best. He said other people were good, but there is not a verifiable instance where he said anyone was actually better than him.

Wrong. That anecdote has been passed around with just about every other guitarist in that spot - including, as the chase mentioned above, Terry Kath.

Hendrix wasn't all that shy about his playing - he knew he was the best. He said other people were good, but there is not a verifiable instance where he said anyone was actually better than him.

Are you sure about that? I thought he said one time on the Dick Cavett Show that he worshipped at the feet of Tiny Tim and that Tim taught him everything he knew.

Archived