No newly circulated live shows in 2011

Sticks of Fire

Well a new *source* appeared for 9/23/71 Tokyo. And the 02 Rehearsal tape, which I thought sounded better than the O2 performance! Is it true that the EV release of them, "Swan Songs" is sourced from MP3's?

I don't think the Swan Songs one is, the other one is straight from the soundboard which is MP3'S.

I don't think the Swan Songs one is, the other one is straight from the soundboard which is MP3'S.

Swan Songs is the EVSD release, and the entire thing is lossy sourced.

Triumph Rehearsals "Guitar On Version" is Tarantura's EQ'd version of the "pre-boot" source that came out shortly before all the official boots did. But it's not complete - missing the usual chunks of MMH and NQ. This version is lossless sourced. It does boost Jimmy's guitar a bit, so it's great if that's important to you - but to my ears the cost of the weird parametric EQ'ing they did outweighs the benefit.

The Show of the Century Rehearsals is from Godfather. It's complete and lossless sourced - except they have made MMH and NQ complete by patching in the missing parts from the same lossy sourced version EVSD used.

I really want to hear the tapes from Bloomington 1/18/75 and the 1977 shows, Bloomington 4/12/77 and St. Paul 4/13/77. There hasn't been a good quality MN show released. Not only because I am a Minnesota native but I've heard from people around here like my dad, my old guitar teacher, and other older Zep fans that went to the shows say they were really good. "Stairway" at Mets Center is said to have had an amazing solo despite Jimmy's finger issues. Zeppelin also played Black Dog at St. Paul 4/13/77. I've heard first hand accounts from my band's uncle who saw them all three years they were here and from my own research.

Thanks for straightening me out on that, tmtomh. It's getting so ya can't tell the players without a score card. One never knows how they'll screw up these bootleg releases next... I guess I'll keep waiting for a full-length lossless source to surface, and make do with what I've downloaded.

Thanks for straightening me out on that, tmtomh. It's getting so ya can't tell the players without a score card. One never knows how they'll screw up these bootleg releases next... I guess I'll keep waiting for a full-length lossless source to surface, and make do with what I've downloaded.

No problem - it is indeed tough to keep track of it all - it's unsurprising, but kind of appalling, that EVSD is charging people $165 for lossy files (unless they got snookered too, although I kind of doubt that...).

I think it might be a long wait for a full, uncut lossless version though: whomever has the original must've gotten a pretty penny for the lossless version from EVSD, and I'm not sure who would be willing to pay them (or someone else, if EVSD's source doesn't have a lossless version) even more for something most buyers wouldn't be willing to repurchase...

I recently got a boot that claims to have a snippet[6 songs]off the board of the 5/23/73 show from Albuquerque......I just found out it isn't Albuquerque afterall it's Salt Lake City.

No problem - it is indeed tough to keep track of it all - it's unsurprising, but kind of appalling, that EVSD is charging people $165 for lossy files (unless they got snookered too, although I kind of doubt that...).

I think it might be a long wait for a full, uncut lossless version though: whomever has the original must've gotten a pretty penny for the lossless version from EVSD, and I'm not sure who would be willing to pay them (or someone else, if EVSD's source doesn't have a lossless version) even more for something most buyers wouldn't be willing to repurchase...

My guess would be the lossy version is something that a hoarder was trading with a limated group of other hoarders, someone sold it to EV and then he sold the original to T2K before it became worthless. Similar to those situations where hoarders release a recording for free when they know someone has leaked it to a bootlegger then claim they were always going to put it out.

I can't understand why people buy it. Just download it from the net.

Someone has to buy it and share it for people to download it from the net.

Indeed.

That's the whole weird dynamic of the bootlegs. In many cases what's really happening is that 100 to 500 people are collectively paying a total of about $10,000 to $40,000 to the boot labels and dealers, in exchange for which the release gets out into the wild of the 'net and everyone else gets it for free. Like it or not, it's hard to imagine it working any other way, so long as tapes are out there and the tapes' owners want money in exchange for allowing them to be copied.

Indeed.

That's the whole weird dynamic of the bootlegs. In many cases what's really happening is that 100 to 500 people are collectively paying a total of about $10,000 to $40,000 to the boot labels and dealers, in exchange for which the release gets out into the wild of the 'net and everyone else gets it for free. Like it or not, it's hard to imagine it working any other way, so long as tapes are out there and the tapes' owners want money in exchange for allowing them to be copied.

Thats always been my feeling, there are plenty of people who do exellent work bringing new/remastered material to the masses for nothing but for many of these sources cold hard cash is the only way there going to see the light of day.

As I said I think theres alot of dishoniesty from hoarders in this reguard who try to object to bootleggers on moral ground but infact dislike them because they release there "rare sources" that they'd otherwise happly keep to their small circle forever to the masses.

Agreed on the dishonesty of the tapers, but I really can't blame them for being paranoid, I've heard stories that seem to beggar belief, but I've personally seen crazier behavior from people over a lot less, so I have to give some credence to them. And then there's the old axiom "No good deed goes unpunished." People who have shared have gotten shamefully ripped off. Horrendous.

Agreed on the dishonesty of the tapers, but I really can't blame them for being paranoid, I've heard stories that seem to beggar belief, but I've personally seen crazier behavior from people over a lot less, so I have to give some credence to them. And then there's the old axiom "No good deed goes unpunished." People who have shared have gotten shamefully ripped off. Horrendous.

Sorry but I don't have any sympathy at all, anyone who uses a hoarded recording of Zep to try and get hold of other hoarded recordings is using something that doesnt belong to them for personal gain. In some respects I view that as worse than bootlegging since at least a bootlegger can claim there in it to get these recordings to the masses to some degree, with hoarders that only happens when things don't go according to plan.

Individuals who release or remaster recordings for free to the masses >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bootleggers>>>>> Hoarders. ;)

• 2 months later...

What you call a 'hoarder' others call a "rarities collector." If you had the smarts and the equipment to record "your" tape at a Zeppelin show back in say, '73, and you got a recording of a show that nobody else has, it would be hard to think of it as anything other than "yours." You bought the equipment. You bought the ticket. You bought the tapes. You smuggled them all in, and you recorded the show you attended. I can see where someone who did all that feels they have some sort of proprietal connection.

I remember 25+ years ago trading with tapers who had "No Trade" lists; rare dates that they'd only trade for other rare dates-- stuff that at the time was only going around in pretty rarified circles of former Fillmore West and Avalon Ballroom sound techs and their immediate friends. The reason they were so tight with their tapes was so that they *wouldn't* be bootlegged. He was playing me shows we know today like "Dancing Avacado" and "1969 Whiskey A Go-Go" that very few people had heard back in 1984. He an one other of Bill Graham's employees has told me that Mr. Graham made sure there were tapes running for any shows he promoted, so who knows what's still in the vaults? Or who has the tapes?

Hence why I said, "Keep the faith". New goodies are always going to be popping up. Hell, they're only alternate sources for gigs that have been doing the rounds for years, but who woulda thunk that in the space of about a month we'd see fresh, previously uncirculated, decent sounding alternate recordings for the Birmingham '77 and 23-7-77 Oakland show appear thirty five years later. The way I see it, the law of averages sorta dictates that if these alternate tapes can crop up outta nowhere in some guy's basement or whatever, sooner or later, someone's gonna stumble over a previously uncirculated performance nobody has heard before. Sure, there are some people who 'hoard' these kind of things, but, like it or not, they have their reasons for doing so, and considering the stuff is in their hands, what they do with it is their decision.

I mean, not that it sent the earth flying off its axis or anything, but at first Jabe and I were not planning on sharing that alternate Birmingham '77 recording he found and had me work on...why? The old vanilla reason: he didn't want to see the recording get bootlegged! But in the end we said fuck it and shared the thing. Would we have been considered "evil, nasty, elitist hoarders" if we didn't? Maybe, maybe not...though I admit at this stage in the game I could really care less what anybody thinks either way. I've said it before: life is too short for the thought of 'why are there no new Zeppelin recordings coming into circulation?' to keep me up at night (that is, when I sleep at all LOL)

NUTROCKER; I'M FROM NEW ORLEANS LA. & I HAVE BEEN LOOKING TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THE "LEGEND THEY CALL FREEZER FOR AWHILE NOW. DO YOU HAVE HIS PERSONAL INFO. NAME,ADDRESS,CITY,ETC. I'VE HEARD THAT HE IS A 77-TOUR MEGA-FAN LIKE ME & YOU AND I'D LIKE TO MEET HIM.

LET ME KNOW PLEASE OR SOMEONE ELSE ON THIS SITE THAT MAY BE ABLE TO HELP ME FIND HIM.

THANKS,

JOHNNY

The Soundboard Revolution Goes Snowblind for Golden Week!!

Hiya Folks

How's everything? Incredibly Hot News for the start of Golden Week Holiday:

***Viva La Soundboard Revolution***

Led Zeppelin - Snowblind (3/20/75 Vancouver - Previously Unreleased SB) Empress Valley Label. The Soundboard Revolution Series proudly presents for the very First and Only time anywhere, the legendary 2nd night in Vancouver, BC - Complete and in Perfect Stereo Soundboard!!! This amazing set also features absolutely stunning exclusive artwork from preeminent live concert art co., Firehouse Posters. Two versions of this set are now available:

Extremely Ltd Slip Case Edition (100 Copies Only!!) 6 CD Mega Deluxe Set. Features as a special bonus a Digital Remaster direct from original source of the 3/19/75 Vancouver Soundboard. CD sets are housed in special paper cases which is covered by uniqe slipcase. $240 with airmail shipping

Limited Edition 3 CD Special Digi pack Version $165

We're NOW ready to begin processing orders for this title as we expect initial supplies will be quite limited and demand extremely high.

---------------------------------

Not a new show, but a new soundboard source...

That's good news. Shame it's not the next night...

Indeed - but it seems like the next night won't come out until the hoarders and the boot labels make their $$$ off all the other nearby nights - if they sold 3-21 now, then perhaps folks wouldn't buy the other nights. And conversely, if the other nights are selling for $165, then the "long awaiting super amazing world historical" release of 3-21 can be sold for an even higher price.

Archived